Why become a member? ×

Astounding bass playing from Jaco.

bubinga5

From Brian Melvin's Night Food. Jaco's playing on this not very long record, is just way out there. When he plays the pop funk, he takes it to a different level. Some people say, oh this bass line is too busy. When Jaco plays it's busy but the notes and his feel just want to make me listen. Dynamic playing for sure. Pure class. Absolute fabulous playing. The rest of this album is great also. http://youtu.be/qDGzt2WSOXg

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1470471244' post='3106184']
I appreciate the skill but I wouldn't want to listen to any more of it.
[/quote]

Me too. I am in awe of Jaco's abilities but outside of his work with Joni Mitchell his actual music does little for me.

The clip in the OP was amusing though. Made me think of Richard Pryor and Gene Wilder. 3 o'clock!

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1470473375' post='3106210']
Me too. I am in awe of Jaco's abilities but outside of his work with Joni Mitchell his actual music does little for me.
[/quote]

+1. No doubt the man was a technical genius on the bass, but his music leaves me cold.

[quote name='Trueno' timestamp='1470474276' post='3106219']
Well, everyone has different tastes... but I just love that type of music, could listen to it all day long.
[/quote]yep they do. I love it. But it was more about the bass playing around the music. I guess that point was lost..

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1470479451' post='3106267']
Everyone has different tastes in music, that's the thing.

People don't like Jaco's music, but give them someone playing 8ths with a pick on a P bass strung with flat wounds and they're in heaven.

:)
[/quote] and I've heard some cracking tunes played like that also.

That sums it up for me. Music isn't a technical exercise or a showcase. If the song needs root notes and the odd fifth, play that. If it needs Jaco (if the Jaco that played for Joni showed up, many more songs would need Jaco), get Jaco. It's music, do what works for the music

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1470479225' post='3106264']
But it was more about the bass playing around the music.
[/quote]

I'm sure that most won't argue with this. Amazing technical bass playing is one thing. Most people would not deny Jaco's skills here. Playing music that touches people, and "talks" to them, is an entirely different matter.

I really enjoyed it, cheers for posting.

That's just the sort of cheese I've started to really enjoy listening to in the last couple of years.

Unrelated but in a sort of similar vein, my latest discovery has been Bobbi Humphrey, jazz/funk flautist extraordinaire.

Edited by Cato

[quote name='Cato' timestamp='1470481686' post='3106290']
I really enjoyed it, cheers for posting.

That's just the sort of cheese I've started to really enjoy listening to in the last couple of years.

Unrelated but in a sort of similar vein, my latest discovery has been Bobbi Humphrey, jazz/funk flautist extraordinaire.
[/quote] Harlem river drive ..what a tune https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-i_Ja2sVw1g

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1470479225' post='3106264']
yep they do. I love it. But it was more about the bass playing around the music. I guess that point was lost..
[/quote]

As I said I appreciate the skill required but it makes no difference how good the bassline is if the overall content sucks, for me it sucks, sucks is thankfully subjective and has nothing to do with "being there" it would still have sucked for me in 1985 :)

I really like some of his playing and he was definitely unsurpassed at this style... you could probably say he defined it.
I can't listen to Rocco but Jaco was something else.
Still a very tricky and accomplished style or technique to this day... some many things need to come together to carry it off.

The track itself doesn't really do it for me, but Jaco was THE guy in his day.