Why become a member? ×

Does this exist?

Graham

Yes, I think the MTD Kingston Artist 5 is going to be very close, but again not through neck. How do you define the position of the sweet spot with a longer scale length?

PM me if you have a measurement and I will check mine to see where it is. Have to say it does sound very stingray 5 like.

[quote name='pete.young' timestamp='1470253150' post='3104552']
Yes, I think the MTD Kingston Artist 5 is going to be very close, but again not through neck. How do you define the position of the sweet spot with a longer scale length?

PM me if you have a measurement and I will check mine to see where it is. Have to say it does sound very stingray 5 like.
[/quote]

87% of the scale length if I remember correctly.

What's your budget? ;)

Edited by Manton Customs

[quote name='Graham' timestamp='1470225452' post='3104217']
Does such a thing exist off the peg?

5 string
Single H, or at least 1 H in the MM spot
through neck
35"

I figure a Stingray neck through is probably the closest, but is 34" - anything else out there?
[/quote]

I'm pretty sure Shuker Guitars have done one (or more). A custom build is a great way forward!

[quote name='Manton Customs' timestamp='1470256521' post='3104595']

87% of the scale length if I remember correctly.

What's your budget? ;)
[/quote]

No budget sadly, just window shopping; but I took a look at your website and there's some nice stuff there, and very keenly priced too :)

[quote name='timhiggins' timestamp='1470244474' post='3104459']
Lakland 55 94 hits a lot of your points but i guess its a bolt on neck
[/quote]

Humbucker not in the sweet spot, unfortunately... you don't get a good Stingray sound out of those.

The 5576 model, however... that's another story. But no neck-through either.

Though I understand why you might imagine a 35" scale is better for a low B, I've seen enough threads on here that indicate a well-made 34" scale bass will give you a great low B - it often seems that build quality is a better indicator than scale length regarding how good it sounds. Have you tried a through neck Stingray?

[quote name='HowieBass' timestamp='1470263231' post='3104681']
Though I understand why you might imagine a 35" scale is better for a low B, I've seen enough threads on here that indicate a well-made 34" scale bass will give you a great low B - it often seems that build quality is a better indicator than scale length regarding how good it sounds. Have you tried a through neck Stingray?
[/quote]

Yeah, I've seen those threads :) just pondering on what might make a really good five string, and whether anyone had built a standard bass with those features.

It looks like finding a through neck with the pickup in the Stingray position is the biggest problem, apart from the neck through Ray and that Warwick P-Nut there don't seem to be many out there.

I'd love to have a go on a neck through Stingray 5, but there aren't many over here.

[quote name='Graham' timestamp='1470414818' post='3105885']
I think the NG2 would be close, the bridge pickup looks like it's in the right position, it's bolt-on, but another one I'd like to give a go :)
[/quote]

It's in the right position - also if you lift the pickguard you'll see that the NG2 & the Combustion (starting from when the NG was released) both use the same body so you can move the 'front' pickup in to jazz position to see what that sounds like - routes for both basses are under the plate! Cool eh!!

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1470472830' post='3106199']

It's in the right position - also if you lift the pickguard you'll see that the NG2 & the Combustion (starting from when the NG was released) both use the same body so you can move the 'front' pickup in to jazz position to see what that sounds like - routes for both basses are under the plate! Cool eh!!
[/quote]

That's remarkably civilised of Dingwall