Why become a member? ×

GAS, GES, GIS, GOS or GUS?

Chiliwailer

At one point today I had too much time to think....

Which have you got?

After having to sell off my collection a few years back I've gone from GUS to GAS and then GES.

GAS was fun, until it stopped being fun so then some GUS turned into GES.

Too many nice basses out there really, so with a lack of funds 'want' has to fight 'needs', the winner being GES.

Edited by Chiliwailer

In my sig below, one was bought in 1982, one in 1992, one in 1993, one in 2001, one in 2007 (when 2001 needed some refurb and was temporarily retired) and one in 2014 (because 1993 was too delicate to take to acoustic gigs).

Only ever owned one other bass, bought in 1989, sold 1998 as surplus and to fund an acoustic guitar. I guess that counts as GES.

GES Is never really a permanent state... Especially with amps / cabs... As technology improves, the perfect setup becomes obsolete and GAS rises once again. Also tastes change over time and what once was the bass for any situation now seems inappropriate for your new Greenlandic Death Folk band...

I have my ultimate bass (and a fretless sister bass on the way). Doesn't stop me gassing for other gear though :) If I had the money / space I'd have a massive collection.

There is no real point of perfection. The fun is in the chase etc. I've recently bought something that filled a gap I created in my own mind and all gaps are filled now, won't stop me thinking of something else I don't need when I listen to a new band etc.

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1470206798' post='3104004']
GES Is never really a permanent state....
[/quote]

Really? You definitely make a great argument for that, but I know a lot of guys that have been set with their gear for quite some time. I suppose for them a certain need makes for a purchase rather than GAS, in it's additction and fun form that is.

Anyway, that's the dream I've been chasing!

OK...which is the closest match for "I've got pretty much all the things I want/need, except for [i]one very specific bass[/i], and I'm going to need to save a fair bit of money and probably wait for the exchange rates to shift in my favour before I can finally buy that one and then be happy for life*"?

*[size=2]"Life" may not necessarily mean "life."[/size]

I'm somewhere between GES and GIS, the kit I have does the job very well and I have no pressing [i]need[/i] for anything else, but should I get a bonus next year I'll be shopping for some new and improved gear.

[quote name='EliasMooseblaster' timestamp='1470215559' post='3104087']
OK...which is the closest match for "I've got pretty much all the things I want/need, except for [i]one very specific bass[/i], and I'm going to need to save a fair bit of money and probably wait for the exchange rates to shift in my favour before I can finally buy that one and then be happy for life*"?

*[size=2]"Life" may not necessarily mean "life."[/size]
[/quote]

Either a classic case of GAS denial or none of the above and a flaw in the poll.

[quote name='Chiliwailer' timestamp='1470226715' post='3104236']
Either a classic case of GAS denial or none of the above and a flaw in the poll.
[/quote]

I think you were right with the first one - despite all my focus being on this one particular bass, I can see myself looking further afield if/when I do finally get hold of it. I am in denial about the extent of my GAS!

[quote name='EliasMooseblaster' timestamp='1470230853' post='3104305']

I think you were right with the first one - despite all my focus being on this one particular bass, I can see myself looking further afield if/when I do finally get hold of it. I am in denial about the extent of my GAS!
[/quote]

Yes, the 'one more hit' sub category of GAS ;)

I have GES and GAS at the same time, albeit each in relation to different gear - a set of firmly established instruments and gear on the one hand, and a loose coalition of gear that comes and goes as GAS dictates. Good thing is that I rarely buy anything unless I've also sold something so it's a relatively cost neutral exercise that keeps me entertained.

Having said that, GAS has been less of a problem of late Dan, in part because I think I've now owned every single bass that was on my list. I have you to thank for most of them :)

Chris

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1470240663' post='3104424']

Having said that, GAS has been less of a problem of late Dan, in part because I think I've now owned every single bass that was on my list. I have you to thank for most of them :)

Chris
[/quote]

I hear you there, so I guess that's one reason why the fun has run out for me too?! :)

I would say (and have voted) GES for the most part. I have the basses I want (I'm very lucky to have fallen in love with a cheap and cheerful Squier). My amp is as light and compact as I need it to be but sounds absolutely amazing and looks great too.
In all of that I'm now completely happy and settled. My GAS weakness more recently has been for pedals but even there I think I'm pretty sorted now. I'm thinking about a pitch shifter pedal because we now play one song in our set tuned down half a step and I can't be bothered to re-tune or re-learn the fingering but even that's more a means to an end than GAS.
Right now I'm probably the happiest I've been with my gear for about 5 or 6 years and back then it only changed because I had to sell off some much loved gear for financial reasons.

[quote name='Chiliwailer' timestamp='1470242905' post='3104442']
I hear you there, so I guess that's one reason why the fun has run out for me too?! :)
[/quote]

Ha ha, fair point

I think you have the terminology wrong however Dan, GAS = Gear [i]Addiction [/i]Syndrome :rolleyes:

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1470490047' post='3106375']

I think you have the terminology wrong however Dan, GAS = Gear [i]Addiction [/i]Syndrome :rolleyes:
[/quote]

Indeed, I say I'm at GES, though once an addict always an addict so must be careful.

I was playing my Stingray 5HH today, going between the 5 positions and playing various styles. I was also using a JHS Colour Box in 2 of the positions to give it an old school vibe, unbelievable how versatile this bass can be. I could honesty live a happy life with just that one if it ever came to it. Which lead me to thinking....

...I could sell of all my basses (though perhaps not my Lull PJ4?) and ask Mike Lull to build me a P bass bodied 5 string Ray HH pickup configuration with an Aguilar preamp, maple board and sub 8lb weight....

It was a fun thought for 5 minutes and will most likely go nowhere of course. But GAS is an addiction never kicked me thinks ;)