Why become a member? ×

Do looks matter?

Barking Spiders

I sprayed my 1962 Precision TCSB white... in 1963, though.
The only photos I have are so bad you can barely tell that it is a guitar of any sort, or for that matter that a human being is playing it.
Shame. I would have loved before and after pix as a memento of the stupidest thing I ever did.
Selling it!

Someone's already mentioned headstocks. They seem to take a major part in how the instrument looks. On basses they tend to make an already long instrument a little longer. I avoid the problem by avoiding the headstock altogether. I've grown to prefer tuning from the other end and I like the space saving benefits. I still want the instrument to look good though.

Headless for me then apart from my fretless at this time.

I'd love to see a decapitated Fender (P [i]or[/i] J) with Steinberger bridge done by someone who cares.

[Ducks behind flameproof sofa]

Looks are very important to me. I have made some kind of cosmetic changes to most of my basses over the years. It's certainly easier for me to improve the looks of an instrument than the sound as I'm personally more artistic than technical.
It's important too in the same way as attraction is important in relationships between people. It's what often sparks our initial interest.
I personally love the look of my Sunburst/Tort/Maple Precision so I guess my taste in basses is a bit questionable :D.
Fortunately I think this picture of my lovely wife shows my better tastes lie elsewhere :)!

I can't stand fiesta red, yet for about 3 years my fiesta red CVP was my main gigging bass.
Playability and tone were wonderful but I hated looking at the bloody thing. There was never any enjoyment when I looked at it.
Now I have a Sandblasted P bass I feel it's the best bass I've ever owned. Not because it's wonderful to play and has the right tone, but in my eyes is a real looker so it has all three boxes ticked.
In fact every time I look at it I smile.
I really have no love for any of those odd shaped, pointy looking basses that are suppsedly high end boutique basses. Seems to me you pay more for fuglyness.

[quote name='SpondonBassed' timestamp='1470464762' post='3106131']
I'd love to see a decapitated Fender (P [i]or[/i] J) with Steinberger bridge done by someone who cares.
[Ducks behind flameproof sofa]
[/quote]

Turns out Cort were reading this thread for inspiration, then jumped into their time machine and popped back to 1985 to create this:

[url="http://s1276.photobucket.com/user/LanterneRouge/media/Random/CortHeadlessP_zpsgrgxb6eb.jpg.html"][/url]

Including genuine Steinberger-licensed bridge! B)

But yes, looks are very important. Fortunately I like basses in general so can find something to love in most styles, colours and designs. Not seen too many singlecuts that I like, but I think that's down to trend-led aesthetics rather than the underlying concept. There is no intrinsic need for a singlecut to look like the misbegotten offspring of Snoopy and a sperm whale. But most of them somehow do.

Jon.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1470233619' post='3104341']
Those spikes are nothing to do with metal ... they're actually flux capacitors which generate a localised anti-gravity field, thus rendering the bass effectively weightless.
[/quote]
Presumably it only works when you have enough jiggawatts.

[quote name='Bassassin' timestamp='1470499993' post='3106428']

Turns out Cort were reading this thread for inspiration, then jumped into their time machine and popped back to 1985 to create this:

[url="http://s1276.photobucket.com/user/LanterneRouge/media/Random/CortHeadlessP_zpsgrgxb6eb.jpg.html"][/url]

But yes, looks are very important. Fortunately I like basses in general so can find something to love in most styles, colours and designs. Not seen too many singlecuts that I like, but I think that's down to trend-led aesthetics rather than the underlying concept. There is no intrinsic need for a singlecut to look like the misbegotten offspring of Snoopy and a sperm whale. But most of them somehow do.

Jon.
[/quote]If you put the Land of the Giants headstock back on that (for show) it would be the ugliest thing this side of the black stump. In fact a black stump with strings would be prettier.

[quote name='Bassassin' timestamp='1470499993' post='3106428']

Jon.
[/quote]

Oh wow! Thank you for that. The only modification I'd make to its appearance is to fit a second strap button so's it is more stable when leant against my amp.

[quote name='spectoremg' timestamp='1470520787' post='3106565']
If you put the Land of the Giants headstock back on that (for show) it would be the ugliest thing this side of the black stump. In fact a black stump with strings would be prettier.
[/quote]

"Land of the Giants headstock" Priceless!

The ugliest motorcycle I ever owned was a black 1995 Triumph Tiger. It was PLUGLY (plug ugly)!. Bear in mind that I had had TWO CX500 Hondas before that. I loved my Tigger. Its looks were bizarre but strangely functional.

It may be controversial to say but I think ugly is the new pretty in cases like this. Beauty in the eye of the beholder and all that.

[quote name='uk_lefty' timestamp='1470557212' post='3106635']

White precisions look the absolute nuts!!
Jazz basses with as much chrome on them as possible likewise.
[/quote]

I have a white jazz and will soon be receiving some chrome bridge and pickup covers for my precision.

Told you my taste in basses was questionable :D