Why become a member? ×

Post your pedal board - Basschat style!!

dudewheresmybass

On 30/03/2024 at 23:28, MrDinsdale said:

Wanted to play with a simplified setup for a bit while waiting for a couple of new toys to get better acquainted with the Moose Sledge Hammer. TBH though I think I just have a problem.

IMG_9202.thumb.jpeg.b076c541cb38727f3af67b395d6e6a34.jpeg

Looking good. I got a Citadel in a trade with John at EAE but I sometimes wonder if I should have got the Model Fet instead.

Finally picked up a Cali76 so will need to post a board update soon.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, moose23 said:

Looking good. I got a Citadel in a trade with John at EAE but I sometimes wonder if I should have got the Model Fet instead.

Finally picked up a Cali76 so will need to post a board update soon.

I do love the Fet but the Citadel sounds ace by all accounts. I was tempted to get one to see if it could get close to a Marshal VBA400 without the extra 40kg 😂

haha! And what a nice mess to have that is! BTW, I quite liked the darkglass b7k sim (obsidian what what) on the POST loop of the Capo - don't ask me how I ended up there but I did and no ragrets lol

Ander.

• Like 2

Haven't really 'plugged-in' in anger, but i'd say Fuller, less Top 'n Bottom and more Mid... but I'd say with Less Clarity than the OJ when pushed hard... More Mid-More Mush, but i'm after a Medium Crank Super Bass Sound.

The OJ does a lovely Stranglers-esq Hollow Hiwatt

The OJ is FS to cover some of the cost 😉

Edited by PaulThePlug
  • Like 1

On 05/04/2024 at 12:12, dudewheresmybass said:

@Cosmo Valdemarhas been on a similar journey. 
iirc he said the golden plexi 2 ? Got close

The Tone City Golden Plexi 2 does a killer Marshall tone to my ears, but it doesn't have a Superbass setting so there's going to be some loss of lows. It all depends on the sound you're after - some of my favourite bass tones from back in the day were through guitar amps so if you're after that Move or Ron Wood tone the Golden Plexi works a treat. Particularly with a Tele bass 😁

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Hugsonic said:

Just wondering why you don't use the tuner on the HX? You could then swap the polytune for 2x foot switches. Tuner +other. 

I usually use the HX Stomp in Snapshot mode. Yesterday I was experimenting with some effects and that is why it is in Stomp mode. Besides, I don't really like the Helix tuner. I have used it butI think I prefer the Polytune.  

Edited by javi_bassist

2 hours ago, javi_bassist said:

I have played some gigs with this setup and I love it. It's compact, versatile and it sounds really really good.

20240408_203942.thumb.jpg.8779c43a6cf9d65455b53e6a3be5ecc9.jpg

Lovely! Been GASsing on a Fender Ultra V ❤️

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chadu25 said:

Lovely! Been GASsing on a Fender Ultra V ❤️

It won't help your GAS, but it's the best bass I've ever played. The neck is just insane. And it sounds just amazing.

2 hours ago, glassmoon said:

An open discussion question: for "just" effects, is the HX Stomp worth it?  I love the size - dinky little thing

IMO it is. If you want to control everything, maybe the XL would be better. I used to use only effects when I pairing with a preamp. I finally downsized my pedalboard and the HX also replaced it.  

Edited by javi_bassist

14 minutes ago, javi_bassist said:

IMO it is. If you want to control everything, maybe the XL would be better. I used to use only effects when I pairing with a preamp. I finally downsized my pedalboard and the HX also replaced it.  

Thanks @javi_bassist.  For me, right now, it's all about smaller is better.  I've had massive boards in the past, and I've realised that all I really want is 2 or 3 drives and octaves and maybe a chorus or 2... the rest, not so much.  I've just joined a cover band that does a lot of the "modern pop/rock" stuff (or utter tosh, as I like to call it hahahaha) and I need a mild, medium and heavy drive.  With octaves, I need one to double track and one to emulate (with some drive) a 70's keyboard bass.

Long story short, the Stomp really appeals from a "it's the size of a sandwich" perspective - and if I ever want to use the bells and whistles, they are all there.

• Like 1

Ian Martin Allison has some great videos on YouTube where he tries to get very specific sounds on his stomp recreating specific songs etc. Could be useful to hear if it’s the kinda thing you’re aiming for if you’re needing persuasion. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, krispn said:

Ian Martin Allison has some great videos on YouTube where he tries to get very specific sounds on his stomp recreating specific songs etc. Could be useful to hear if it’s the kinda thing you’re aiming for if you’re needing persuasion. 

Oooh, thanks @krispn.  I'd forgotten that he was something of a boffin where the Stomp is concerned!!  Excellent top tip!

2 minutes ago, glassmoon said:

Oooh, thanks @krispn.  I'd forgotten that he was something of a boffin where the Stomp is concerned!!  Excellent top tip!

The video is very good. He also uses the SVT4 for a lot of the tones which I also settled on. 

Erm.

TC Nether - 

Having owned multiple OC-2’s I started looking for another. Damn they’re expensive for what they are…gone are the days of a £55 Taiwanese OC-2.

Anyhow - this does the same job…within reason. Really like it actually.

The Zero Fret -

Dod Bi-Fet pre clone with built in Fuzz (2 stages of fuzz)…

Honestly, the mightiest bass fuzz I’ve heard; does well for warm fluffy drive as a pre…also works beautifully for guitar.

Hopefully @walshy forgets that I have it…

Korg Pitchblack -

Decent tuner came up cheaply and completes the board.

Missing is the Dunlop volume pedal - it’s massive and won’t go on the board so I forgot to photograph it.

Cheap PSU, no mad big draw on any of the pedals so this will do for £35.

85EA36F0-4936-4316-8B3E-ACE9763FE297.jpeg

Edited by AndyTravis
  • Like 13

On 09/04/2024 at 21:36, AndyTravis said:

TC Nether - 

Having owned multiple OC-2’s I started looking for another. Damn they’re expensive for what they are…gone are the days of a £55 Taiwanese OC-2.

Anyhow - this does the same job…within reason. Really like it actually.

Great pedal. Very underrated I think, and considering the price, you can't beat them. 

• Like 1

On 03/04/2024 at 17:07, MrDinsdale said:

New HX One thanks to @Ander87 means reworking the board to make sure the signal chain is right. I definitely have a problem.

IMG_9240.thumb.jpeg.4ac9990a8a355d8358df04f56b56f3db.jpeg

The joys of working from home 🙌

Do share your signal chain when you’ve finished. And I agree with working from home. Often find myself distracted since my board is just beside my work Pc lol

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Chadu25 said:

Do share your signal chain when you’ve finished. And I agree with working from home. Often find myself distracted since my board is just beside my work Pc lol

IMG_9250.thumb.jpeg.c8e240524a5ed920166d8615ddcc920e.jpeg

It changes fairly regularly but currently it’s:

Polytune

Jad Freer Capo input

Capo pre loop send >

Thumpinator

Lusithand Alma Comp

Boss OC5

Moose Sledgehammer 

EAE Halberd

EAE Dagger

HX One

HX One send >

EAE Model feT

< Capo pre return

Capo post send >
< HX One return

HX One output
< Capo post return

Capo output

Couldn’t think of a better way to articulate it, certainly not any more concise. This means that I can have a clean DI and a DI from the end of the chain. I can also add fx either after drives but before the preamps or after preamps and before the DI.

• Like 6

Just a little update now that I’m using a spectracomp. Also managed to get a small cheapo tuner on there which actually works brilliantly, tracks my detuned Mustang perfectly! Also put a little gooseneck LED lamp on there because the rest of the band have them and I was jealous. Mind you, they’re all using Neural Cortex things and they call my pedalboard “the pedal museum”

Signal flow is:

Mutron (running at 24v)

Distortion (dry output to tuner)

Fuzz

Bassballs

Spectracomp

Warm Audio DI

HPF (at 18v)