Why become a member? ×

Post your pedal board - Basschat style!!

dudewheresmybass

On 13/10/2023 at 18:32, bassist_lewis said:

Anyone out there made a Big Pedals Only board? I just ordered a Beetronics Royal Jelly and suddenly started searching for big versions of everything 😅 got a EHX V.1 POG and Octave Multiplexer in my Reverb watchlist!

My first pedalboard was full of huge pedals, a big muff, QTron, Ashdown compressor. Particularly in the case of that compressor, bigger is not always better. 😄

• Haha 1

On 13/10/2023 at 18:32, bassist_lewis said:

Anyone out there made a Big Pedals Only board? I just ordered a Beetronics Royal Jelly and suddenly started searching for big versions of everything 😅 got a EHX V.1 POG and Octave Multiplexer in my Reverb watchlist!

Hi 👋🏼 

IMG_7021.jpeg

• Like 8

3 hours ago, Chadu25 said:

Can I see you small(nano size) rigs with the stomp? Just looking for ideas as I plan to get one next week. Planning to combo it with an empress, C4 and dmc micro, it's all I have at the moment.

I was using this as a pedal-testing board until recently (which is why there’s a slight gap between the Stomp and Element). It’s a Rockboard (2.1 I think) and has a Cioks DC7 underneath if I recall correctly.

IMG_8283.thumb.jpeg.7d19da7ee7ff291604948185724bdae2.jpeg

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, admiralchew said:

I was using this as a pedal-testing board until recently (which is why there’s a slight gap between the Stomp and Element). It’s a Rockboard (2.1 I think) and has a Cioks DC7 underneath if I recall correctly.

IMG_8283.thumb.jpeg.7d19da7ee7ff291604948185724bdae2.jpeg

Ah lovely! We have the same compressor. I've decided to let go of the bassrig SV and just get a stomp. I've only kept the C4 with the dmc micro and empress which is why I'm looking for inspiration on board arrangements. Thanks for sharing!

'Big Boss Board' is taking shape:

image.thumb.png.bfc95c53377e5f95e64a7a38cfadd083.png

• BCB-90X Pedalboard: Tough and decent quality. I'd prefer if it had isolated power but the daisy-chain for this grouping is fine.

• LS-2: Being used as a A/B between two Basses, clean blend being another good use. For other uses I'd like it if there was the option to reverse the order of loops (switching between A>B, or B>A would seem a simple thing to implement and would open up a lot of sounds) . Otherwise though, all good - it's a classic for a reason. A keeper.

• TU-3: Accurate, bright, with a few nice extra features (2x 1/4" outputs, extra power output, battery). One gripe is the '#' isn't very obvious. A keeper.

• AW-3: Good features (expression pedal control, tap tempo, up, down, vowels), some interesting sounds - including some non-wah guitar like sounds if using two of the same vowels together, it could do with a volume and clean blend though. I get the impression it's more suited for guitar and an expression pedal.

• BF-3: I didn't think I was a Flanger fan but I really like this pedal. It is sort of a Chorus, Tremolo, Flanger and cocked wah pedal in one: On low settings it can sound very close to a chorus, but it has extra things like tap tempo, gate (tremolo), can set the frequency of the effect via 'manual' dial (with 'depth', 'rate', 'resonance' on zero this can be used to give just a mid-focussed cocked wah sound), and setting things high goes all the way up to full-on whooshing flanger. My only gripe is that the 'Mode' dial has four settings but all are in the range within a quarter turn of the dial (10pm - 1pm, each at a 1hr clock face interval), not a big deal but that makes it a bit tricky visually to tell if you are on one or the one next to it - if the dial was a 180 degree turn (e.g. 'Manual at 6pm, Gate at 8pm, 'Standard' at 10pm, 'Ultra' at noon) then it would be more obvious what mode it is set to.

• CEB-3: Nice chorus, perhaps a bit subtle for some, but I like it to add a shimmery sheen, the 'low pass' is great. I am going to sell it though as the BF-3 on low settings gets close enough. 

• LMB-3: Clean sounding compressor/Limiter, good but you need to look out as some settings can make it sound bad (need to leave the enhance down, and don't put the threshold and ratio too high unless you want clipping). I'd be happy to keep it but I'll compare with a BC-1X at some point.

All are pretty good, perhaps I'm too picky but all feel like some small low/no cost changes would make them great for me: LS-2 would have a reverse loop option, TU-3 would get a bigger '#' displayed, AW-3 added clean blend, BF-3 make the 'mode' dial 180 degrees, LMB-3 can lose the 'enhance' and replace with a something more useful like attack/release control or clean blend. Boss know much better about making and selling pedals than me though!

It's a shame there's no easily available Boss Compact Para EQ and/or variable HPF, they are things I might need to be a traitor on.

Next on the Boss shopping list is a BB-1X.

Edited by SumOne
  • Like 6

I’m a big fan of Boss compact pedal and have been on a mission to try to do what you’ve done above 👆🏻. I always end up reverting to some sort of multi-Fx to try and cram everything into one board:

IMG_4102.thumb.jpeg.3a82070a61749cd50513c380927cde57.jpeg

This is what I was using until I recently got a GT1000, which I hated at first. I’ve stuck with it though and now after quite a lot of experimenting and gigging I’ve got it setup just how I like it.

The most difficult things have been finding really good compression and drives in the unit, but I got there in the end.

I’m just using the GT1k for all my gigs now and leaving all the separate pedals at home.

I love being able to edit the unit on my iPad via Bluetooth on gigs. 

Edited by NoirBass
  • Like 3

‘LMB-3: Clean sounding compressor/Limiter, good but you need to look out as some settings can make it sound bad (need to leave the enhance down, and don't put the threshold and ratio too high unless you want clipping). I'd be happy to keep it but I'll compare with a BC-1X at some point.’

I’ve got the LMB-3 and it’s fairly utility, pretty subtle colouration if any. However I did try a BC-1X and I really liked the way it shaped the tone. As I’m going all Analouge Man style I wouldn’t personally get one, but it did sound great (and I preferred it over the LMB-3 if push came to shove).

• Thanks 1

On 17/10/2023 at 22:05, krispn said:

We all wanna hear about that Caveman Audio gear!

Well, the preamp is a POTENT S.O.B. Just gain and volume, no tone tweaking. It just enhances your tone. Everything is transformer isolated, so dead silent. Having the loop out of the way is also neat. I have connected the two units according to Caveman's/Skrydstrup's recommendations so the BC1 acts as a master compressor. DI from BP1 into BC1, then DI send from compressor. Clean power!

• Like 1

On 17/10/2023 at 22:05, krispn said:

We all wanna hear about that Caveman Audio gear!

Well, the preamp has high quality top notch components, straight forward. Makes the bass sound better. The compressor is more or less a studio unit in pedal form factor. I set it to "act without being noticed", always on. The boost function is smart; at the very end of the signal chain. The units are linked together via XLR balanced in/out. I want a preamp that magnifies the tone of me and my bass - not alter it. For me it is perfect.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Would you be alright running another preamp like, say a Capo or a Goliath if you wanted EQ options or a different flavour or is that using it wrong do you think? I suppose in that example it’d be almost used like a traditional DI, I’m wondering if it’s something you’d think unnecessary as the BP1 preamp is enough - hope that makes sense!

23 hours ago, Paddy777 said:

Would you be alright running another preamp like, say a Capo or a Goliath if you wanted EQ options or a different flavour or is that using it wrong do you think? I suppose in that example it’d be almost used like a traditional DI, I’m wondering if it’s something you’d think unnecessary as the BP1 preamp is enough - hope that makes sense!

I've had the Goliath and the Monique. And a lot of different preamps. I also had a crush for rack preamps some years ago. Had a lot of the classic ones, but I ended up selling everything. You can see some of it in the picture below. My all time favourite of these in the rack was the old Yamaha BP1(!!!). The same with all the pedal preamps and my two (!) Moniques. I have always practiced without amp, just the bass unplugged, so my tone ideal is the tone of the bass and my hands, just louder. Any amp or preamp I use, I tend to tweak them so they sound like me. The same with all preamps. That's why I find the BP1 right down my alley...

1 - Bass Preamp Rack.jpg

Edited by bassmayhem
  • Like 4