Why become a member? ×

Let's Define "Cover Band"

blue

[quote name='Chaos Daveo' timestamp='1469390579' post='3097971']
I struggle defining Jaffa Cakes though..
[/quote]

It's actually really easy.

Cakes are soft, and when they go stale they go hard
Biscuits are hard, and when they go stale they go soft.
ergo, jaffa cakes are cakes.

I think that's actually the legal definition too.

Crowd pleaser or the most disliked record ever made, if it's been released before , it's a cover

If you checked in "you wanna be in my gang" I'm not sure it's a crowd pleaser , but it would be a cover

Edited by lojo

[quote name='SpondonBassed' timestamp='1469363077' post='3097676']
Thanks. I have it on my list to visit the PRS site and study the rules but for now I really can't be arsed.
[/quote]

If and when you can be arsed here's the live events programme form ... [url="https://www.prsformusic.com/SiteCollectionDocuments/PPS%20Tariffs/Programme%20Form%20Popular.pdf"]https://www.prsformusic.com/SiteCollectionDocuments/PPS%20Tariffs/Programme%20Form%20Popular.pdf[/url]

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1469378062' post='3097821']

I seemed to remember the Australian girl from Neigbours passed off "Torn" or a similar song as an original , then Chris Evans found european version which sounded exactly the same and predated it, so Im sure its not done and got away with 100s of times in the charts.
[/quote]

These versions (and more) all predate Natalie Imbruglia ... the song was composed and written by members of Ednaswap (Anne Preven and Scott Cutler) and producer (Phil Thornally who also produced the Natalie Imbruglia album).

[media]http://youtu.be/V1SH1YdITDI[/media]

Edited by EssentialTension

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1469378062' post='3097821']
I seemed to remember the Australian girl from Neigbours passed off "Torn" or a similar song as an original , then Chris Evans found european version which sounded exactly the same and predated it, so Im sure its not done and got away with 100s of times in the charts.
[/quote]

I'm not so sure that'd be classed as trying to pass it off as an original, it was still credited to the original writers so was all above board... unlike Led Zep with dazed & confused when that was released! :ph34r:

[quote name='Sammers' timestamp='1469439863' post='3098222']
I'm not so sure that'd be classed as trying to pass it off as an original, it was still credited to the original writers so was all above board... unlike Led Zep with dazed & confused when that was released! :ph34r:
[/quote]

... and one of the original writers produced it and played on it.

[quote name='4stringslow' timestamp='1469398221' post='3098039']
Does this help?

[url="http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=cover%20band"]http://www.urbandict...rm=cover%20band[/url]
[/quote]

Thank you, yes. Heeheehee.

[i][size=2]I LOVE the Urban Dictionary![/size][/i]

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1469433845' post='3098142']
If and when you can be arsed here's the live events programme form ... [url="https://www.prsformusic.com/SiteCollectionDocuments/PPS%20Tariffs/Programme%20Form%20Popular.pdf"]https://www.prsformu...m%20Popular.pdf[/url]
[/quote]

Many thanks.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1469217376' post='3096807']
........There was an attempt to provide a workable definition of 'covers' which was a dreadful oversimplification. The attempted definition existed independently of the size or type of venue......
[/quote]

I assume you're referring to my post:

[quote name='LewisK1975' timestamp='1469198602' post='3096581']
OK then - IMHO a cover band is any band who performs a song that was recorded and released by someone else first.
[/quote]

Not sure why the size or type of venue matters?...if a band is playing a song that was recorded and released by someone else first, then at that moment in time they are being a cover band.

I do however, also agree with other posts I've read which say that it's ratio of originals vs covers which can define it too.

But then, what about a band who perform 30 songs and 15 of them are covers, and 15 are originals? What do we call them? Quite easy really, they're a band!

Great thread, but it's amazing how some folks can get so wound up over these sorts of things.

I'm not sure anyone is getting wound up over anything other than those who keep posting that it's a pointless tread. :D

I've come across originals bands who "don't do covers!", I've never really understood or subscribed to that point of view though.

'LewisK1975' timestamp='1469198602' post='3096581'
[color=#b22222]OK then - IMHO a cover band is any band who performs a song that was recorded and released by someone else first.[/color]

'blue' timestamp='1469199041' post='3096588'
[color=#0000ff]That's a good basic definition.[/color]

'Happy Jack' timestamp='1469201232' post='3096635'
[color=#008000]No it's not.
Several of Carole King's biggest hits were first recorded and released by other artists.
When she released her own self-penned songs later, are you seriously suggesting that made her a covers act?[/color]

'blue' timestamp='1469210893' post='3096749'
[color=#0000ff]Carole King is not a band, she's a singer/song writer and certainly not a local bar or functions band.
Very off topic[/color].

'Happy Jack' timestamp='1469217376' post='3096807'
[color=#008000]Sorry Blue but that's complete tosh.
There was an attempt to provide a workable definition of 'covers' which was a dreadful oversimplification. The attempted definition existed independently of the size or type of venue. My point stands, and I'll make my own decision as to what is off topic.[/color]

'LewisK1975' timestamp='1469445037' post='3098288'
[color=#b22222]I assume you're referring to my post:
Not sure why the size or type of venue matters?...if a band is playing a song that was recorded and released by someone else first, then at that moment in time they are being a cover band.
... snipped...
Great thread, but it's amazing how some folks can get so wound up over these sorts of things.[/color]

People tend to get more wound up when other people deliberately quote them out of context, so it's a bit sad to see you doing precisely that.

My comment "[color=#008000][i]There was an attempt to provide a workable definition of 'covers' which was a dreadful oversimplification[/i][/color][color=#0000ff][i].[/i][/color]" referred to your definition, which would have turned Carole King (and many others) into covers bands for allowing others to record & release their original songs before they chose to do so. As I said, a dreadful oversimplification.

My comment "[color=#008000][i]The attempted definition existed independently of the size or type of venue[/i][/color][color=#0000ff].[/color]" referred to Blue's enthusiastic endorsement and then defence of your definition, which was completely irrelevant because it tried to drag venue size into the matter for no apparent reason. Presumably Blue couldn't think of anything better. Give him time.

This all looks pretty straightforward to me. Which bit are you struggling with?

:)

So we have to add in a caveat - for a very small number of cases where the songwriter didn't make the original recording but then later went on to re-record it themselves.

In which case the first one is an original, the second one is a cover of the first one as the material is no longer original, even if the artist originally wrote it. The artist still get the credit for originally writing it, but not for making the original recording. It doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things as there are thousands of recording artists who release original material that has be written by others. That's just a part of the process you give up when you write for someone who you think will do a better job than you will and make your song more popular than you could (at that point in time).

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1469449793' post='3098345']
So we have to add in a caveat - for a very small number of cases where the songwriter didn't make the original recording but then later went on to re-record it themselves.

In which case the first one is an original, the second one is a cover of the first one as the material is no longer original, even if the artist originally wrote it. The artist still get the credit for originally writing it, but not for making the original recording. It doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things as there are thousands of recording artists who release original material that has be written by others. That's just a part of the process you give up when you write for someone who you think will do a better job than you will and make your song more popular than you could (at that point in time).
[/quote]

The person who wrote it must have made some kind of recording to be able to have it covered, even Tab would be sufficient as a 'record' of the song's existence?

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1469450423' post='3098351']
The person who wrote it must have made some kind of recording to be able to have it covered, even Tab would be sufficient as a 'record' of the song's existence?
[/quote]

Often, in the old days, the composer would have written out the dots above the lyricist's words. No recording, unless we are going to call the dots a recording method which, of course, it was.

Edited by EssentialTension