Why become a member? ×

Small amp to pair with Barefaced One10?

honza992

Hi All
I've got a One10 (hopefully) incoming fairly shortly. Can you recommend a small head to go with it? Nothing over the top, I'm only ever going to be doing small venues and most of the time won't be competing with a drummer.

I play a precision with flats and like a warm, full sound. Fretted and fretless. I don't slap, tap or do any of that clever stuff.

It must have an aux in, and a headphone socket. I don't particularly like fiddling with with knobs. As it were. Though if it had a simple compressor that might be good. Lightweight would be good. I'd almost certainly be buying second hand.

Any suggestions would be great.

I'd be snapping this up from the marketplace :)

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/285576-fs-gallien-krueger-mb200-l155-posted/"]http://basschat.co.u...00-l155-posted/[/url]

It'll do the job just fine without drums and would have a fair chance even with drums.

[quote name='honza992' timestamp='1464168120' post='3057044']
I've got a One10 (hopefully) incoming fairly shortly.
[/quote]

Hopefully I have a pair arriving this weekend :)

Edited by CamdenRob

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1464168333' post='3057048']
I'd be snapping this up from the marketplace :)

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/285576-fs-gallien-krueger-mb200-l155-posted/"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/285576-fs-gallien-krueger-mb200-l155-posted/[/url]

It'll do the job just fine without drums and would have a fair chance even with drums.
[/quote]

+1 great amp.

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1464168333' post='3057048']
[/quote]

I've used it with two different drummers in two different bands - one of which was a right shed-builder - and had the gain at 12 o'clock. With a One10 you'd definitely have no problem. It's a loud amp for 200W! Which just goes to show that watt ratings mean little. :)

Edited by discreet

Might be worth checking out what the players in the other One10 threads are using, though in reality almost any of the current crop of small heads will do the job.

I've not played one but the Warwick LWA500 has built in compression & a line-in, could be another good option.

Yes, I've owned and played both. The TH350 is a good amp, though if you're not into knob-fiddling you may find it frustrating as the EQ takes a while to come to terms with. The controls are [i]very [/i]interactive. The MB200 is a plug-and-play job, it's very hard to get a bad sound out of it and its core tone is really excellent. Set and forget, concentrate on your playing. I like both, but for convenience of setting up and portability I would choose the MB200. It's also a LOT more affordable. However, in no way does it sound cheap - it shares a lot of tone with its bigger brothers, all highly-regarded amps.

The MB200 does the GK thing but it's very versatile. I've been using mine in a country band playing a P with La Bellas and it produces a nice warm thump if you want it.

The Aguilar has a great reputation, but it's telling I sold mine quite a while before I considered selling my MB200.

Edit: I'm not just saying all this because I have an MB200 for sale, honest Guv!! :D

Edited by discreet

I'd be tempted by the [url="http://www.tcelectronic.com/bh250/"]TC Electronics BH250[/url].

Tiny, lightweight, has aux-in and headphones. Also has the TonePrint feature that you could use as a very capable compressor, but with simple control, and a built in tuner. Price new only £210, s/h typically £150.

Looking at all the other suggestions above, the TH350 lacks aux-in & headphones. The MB200 & Puma 300 have these, but still lack an inbuilt compressor.

Edited by Alec

[quote name='honza992' timestamp='1464170399' post='3057080']
the MB200 is cheap and cheerful. Has anyone played both? Care to comment on tone?
[/quote]
I know a keyboard player who's using a ONE10 for the low end of his sound, being driven by an MB200, and he doesn't like it. Too sterile according to him.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1464172712' post='3057131']
I know a keyboard player who's using a ONE10 for the low end of his sound, being driven by an MB200, and he doesn't like it. Too sterile according to him.
[/quote]

To be fair though it IS a bass amp. And he IS a keyboard player. ;)

Also to be fair, he can go lower than I can on my B string.

He uses a split system of the MB200 and ONE10 for the low end and another powered cab (can't remember the name of that one) for the mids and high end. It all sounds excellent to me when in full flight, but he still feels he has this "issue" in the low notes.

Fender Rumble 200 head

Second hand, maybe see if you can pick up one of the version 2 Rumble 350 heads. They were always overlooked IMO.

If you definitely need aux in headphone out then the Aguilar TH350 is not for you. I get around this by using a Zoom B1on instead. It also has the added benefit that it'll run on batteries so one less cable and no worries about having to be near a power socket.

The main thing with the ToneHammers are that the Gain and Drive controls don't behave like they do on other amps. They interact with the EQ section, so when you boost the drive it does 'stuff' to the mids. That said, my band recorded the first gig I did with the Tonehammer and I was very pleased with the tone I had (that was using a P bass).

1 or 2 gentlemen have recently paired the new Peavey Minimax head with the BF 110.

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/285506-nad-peavey-minimax-500-watt-bass-amplifier-head/page__st__60

Edited by grandad

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1464169171' post='3057055']
I'm using a Puma 300 with mine, and it's brilliant.
[/quote]

I've no experience of how they match with One10 but as a Puma user, was also going to recommend one.