Why become a member? ×

4-string with 'thicker' sound than my Ibanez

tuck1s

I've been playing an Ibanez EDB700 4-string (active) for around 5 years now, it's my only bass. My skill level is probably lower-intermediate, I can manage most rock and pop covers after enough practice.

Currently I'm playing in a covers band with more of a pop and semi-acoustic focus. Partly because we need to be able to mix for gigs with varying volume levels, I currently DI into our desk with no effects or EQ other than what the guitar and the desk provides. I get plenty of level going in to the desk (perhaps because it's an active bass).

What I do notice, is the sound even on the E string has a thinness to it. I tend to play off the neck pickup almost 100%, and I tend to pluck nearer the neck in order to get more of the sound I'm trying to make. The bridge pickup, or going nearer the bridge, makes things sound more twangy.

Maybe that's an Ibanez 'sound', or maybe it's because the signal is completely 'clean' without any coloration added by amp or cab.

I always play with fingers, never got the hang of a plectrum (yet) and that would just produce more ping and top-end anyway I think.

I used to play through an old Eden cab and Ashdown EVO amp with a valve pre that helped to give growl and thump when needed.

Given that I quite like turning up to rehearsal with just my instrument and a cable - I quite like the DI approach. I had wondered about whether something like a Sansamp - or just using an amp's pre section with a DI out - would make some difference.

Alternatively I've always quite liked the Fender type sound, and these look pretty nice: https://new.andertons.co.uk/p/0195402751/electric-basses/fender-american-deluxe-dimension-bass-iv-in-root-beer

These seem to be a departure for Fender in that they are active (and 18v as well ... double the number of batteries to carry around as spares .. suppose can't have everything).

if I revert to playing through amp and cab, I have a (modded/improved) Ashdown Little Giant and a Barefaced Super Twin, which is capable of great 'lows' but again is quite 'hifi' in its sound even without tweeters.

Comments welcome ...

A Sansamp or DHA VT pedal will thicken things up quite nicely. Bass-wise, well I`d look at passive rather than active, and also shy away from Jazz type single-coil pickups or Musicman type pickups as both tend to be more articulate, so Precision pickups or humbuckers, get a bit of girth in there. I think the Dimension bass, given on it being active and the pickup placement would be similar to the Ibanez.

Other things to possibly look at is eq, up mids a bit and drop highs, and maybe something as easy as choosing higher gauge strings. So many variables on things like this.

Who EQs the bass at the desk. It should be pretty easy to roll off the treble and mids and create a thicker sound. If your bass is active you should be able to EQ it before it goes into the desk to get a thicker sound.

How good is the PA?

If the PA's not of great quality then it's unlikely you'll get the tone that's in your head even if you do buy loads of expensive tone shaping pedals.

Most PA tops aren't really designed for full range instruments, such as bass. It's likely that if you've got a moulded plastic PA top that's off the floor and has no reinforcement from nearby walls/corners then your tone will really suffer. Even more so if you're not running a sub to amplify those lovely low frequencies that the tops simply won't be able to reproduce.

[quote name='tuck1s' timestamp='1462732676' post='3045292']
I've been playing an Ibanez EDB700 4-string (active) for around 5 years now, it's my only bass. My skill level is probably lower-intermediate, I can manage most rock and pop covers after enough practice.

Currently I'm playing in a covers band with more of a pop and semi-acoustic focus. Partly because we need to be able to mix for gigs with varying volume levels, I currently DI into our desk with no effects or EQ other than what the guitar and the desk provides. I get plenty of level going in to the desk (perhaps because it's an active bass).

What I do notice, is the sound even on the E string has a thinness to it. I tend to play off the neck pickup almost 100%, and I tend to pluck nearer the neck in order to get more of the sound I'm trying to make. The bridge pickup, or going nearer the bridge, makes things sound more twangy.

Maybe that's an Ibanez 'sound', or maybe it's because the signal is completely 'clean' without any coloration added by amp or cab.

I always play with fingers, never got the hang of a plectrum (yet) and that would just produce more ping and top-end anyway I think.

I used to play through an old Eden cab and Ashdown EVO amp with a valve pre that helped to give growl and thump when needed.

Given that I quite like turning up to rehearsal with just my instrument and a cable - I quite like the DI approach. I had wondered about whether something like a Sansamp - or just using an amp's pre section with a DI out - would make some difference.

Alternatively I've always quite liked the Fender type sound, and these look pretty nice: [url="https://new.andertons.co.uk/p/0195402751/electric-basses/fender-american-deluxe-dimension-bass-iv-in-root-beer"]https://new.anderton...iv-in-root-beer[/url]

These seem to be a departure for Fender in that they are active (and 18v as well ... double the number of batteries to carry around as spares .. suppose can't have everything).

if I revert to playing through amp and cab, I have a (modded/improved) Ashdown Little Giant and a Barefaced Super Twin, which is capable of great 'lows' but again is quite 'hifi' in its sound even without tweeters.

Comments welcome ...
[/quote]

what strings do you use? (brand, model, gauge)
I found a lot of joy switching to stainless steel strings. DR Fat Beams in particular.

The reason it does not sound "thick" is because, according to the specs, the body is maple, which naturally has a dip in the frequency response in the upper bass - exactly the opposite of what we perceive as a "thick" tone. That's why maple is used as a top for mahogany body guitars - to give clarity and tame the upper bass/lower mids to those instruments. It is also what the bodies and necks of Rickenbacker instruments are famously made from in order to get their signature tone.

It sounds to me like you need a bass with an alder, mahogany, or agathis body. Alder is neutral, mahogany has a mid push, and agathis less so. The body of my Ibanez SRA500 is made from agathis, and it is lightweight and even sounding with the maple neck, and with the active EMG's I put in it, I can get any tone from transparent to as thick as treacle out of it.

If you are after a thick sounding 4-string, I have never experienced a 'thicker' sound than what I am getting from my newly acquired Epiphone Thunderbird Classic Pro IV. Neck through, solid mahogany and Gibson pickups. This bass is going nowhere!

I'd look at maybe an inexpensive preamp or tone shaping pedal first, to see if that helps.

You could consider thd Behringer BDI21 or maybe a Zoom B1on and experiment with the amp sims it has. Neither are expensive.

The thiness in the sound from the bass may be the onboard electronics. Weak electronics is not an uncommon criticism of Ibanez in house stuff.

I know Yamaha sounds wery warm, fat and thick. I played theese two models and it souns thick even on bridge pickup
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TRBX304MGR
https://gb.muzyczny.pl/147292_Yamaha-TRBX-504-TBN-electric-bass-guitar.html

+1 for a preamp, would also suggest a compressor if you're not using an amp to even things out.

I've been using a VT Bass Deluxe and a Budda Chakra for just this purpose for about a year, into whatever PA we get lumped with at bar gigs, and it goes from Jamerson to Oliveri in a couple of tweaks. Both on all the time.

Any bass with humbuckers should sound massive, but if you still fancy shopping, Andertons are doing something ridiculous here...
[url="https://new.andertons.co.uk/p/SCHECTER-1584/electric-basses/schecter-diamond-p-custom-bass-guitar-in-dark-metallic-blue"]https://new.andertons.co.uk/p/SCHECTER-1584/electric-basses/schecter-diamond-p-custom-bass-guitar-in-dark-metallic-blue[/url]

for several years i used a edb 600 as my main bass an absolute joy to play, but not in my opinion the best sounding bass
even though it's not even got a maple body !
i found an aphex bass exiter brought it to life through an amp

"I currently DI into our desk with no effects or EQ other than what the guitar and the desk provides"

"[b]Given that I quite like turning up to rehearsal with just my instrument and a cable[/b]"

are you plugging your bass straight into the mixer or are you using a DI box ?

on one gig i was having technical issues didn't have a DI box to hand and plugged straight into desk to get to end of gig
and to be honest it sounded like 5hit
iv'e never used one but for the money and from the reviews i've read.[b] if you are not already using a DI BOX[/b].
i would try a Behringer BDI21