Why become a member? ×

Curious as to what a response in 2016 would be....replacing a full old school 'stack' of cabs.

Musicman20

I very much doubt I will in any way be buying any more bass amps of cabs in the next 5 years or more as I am at the point of being content, and have been for quite some time.

I also wanted space for more guitar related gear, mainly pedals, so I actually SOLD my Orange OBC 4x10. I am also now in the process of selling my Orange OBC 1x15.

Both cabs sounded excellent, more so the 1x15, but the days of lugging super heavy weight cabs are something I do not want to dwell on. I have a few much lighter options, or just cabs that I prefer to use (TC RS210s, Aguilar DB212, Genz NX2 212T).

So, although I don't envisage replacing the Orange cabs (but I'm keeping the amazing AD200b), what would the modern bass community advise would be a suitable replacement cab-wise for a big old 200W tube amp or small lightweight 900W Class D to sit on to generate a big sound but still be fairly light weight.

Feel free to recommend anything, but as it would be replacing a fairly big rig, it would be interesting to know what people think I could get away with to generate just as much volume for if/when I need it.

Discuss!

Edited by Musicman20

If you want warmth, grit and big power go for a G-K MB800 Fusion. Actually the MB500 Fusion would probably do you, but... y'know. I'm not going to recommend a cab though, because I don't want your thread to descend into the usual casserole of nonsense. But it begins with a 'B'. Cabs beginning with 'A', 'S' and 'T' are also available.

Edited by discreet

Thanks - no I'm happy to receive ANY recommendations. I hope I don't end up buying one but I might....it's been nice to have zero interest in bass gear after finally getting everything I wanted.

Focus is on cabs as the amps are sorted, but again feel free to recommend amps.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1462281688' post='3041704']
I very much doubt I will in any way be buying any more bass amps of cabs in the next 5 years or more as I am at the point of being content, and have been for quite some time.

I also wanted space for more guitar related gear, mainly pedals, so I actually SOLD my Orange OBC 4x10. I am also now in the process of selling my Orange OBC 1x15.

Both cabs sounded excellent, more so the 1x15, but the days of lugging super heavy weight cabs are something I do not want to dwell on. I have a few much lighter options, or just cabs that I prefer to use (TC RS210s, Aguilar DB212, Genz NX2 212T).

So, although I don't envisage replacing the Orange cabs (but I'm keeping the amazing AD200b), what would the modern bass community advise would be a suitable replacement cab-wise for a big old 200W tube amp or small lightweight 900W Class D to sit on to generate a big sound but still be fairly light weight.

Feel free to recommend anything, but as it would be replacing a fairly big rig, it would be interesting to know what people think I could get away with to generate just as much volume for if/when I need it.

Discuss!
[/quote]

A couple of 1126's if you wanted a big stack.

I still think the tone monster is the samller, 'less sophisticated' S112's tho.

I love the idea of a big tube amp on top of modern lightweight cabs - my long-term aim is 2x TKS S112's (I really like the tone of these cabs) with a Matamp or Orange 200w monster amp up top. I think that would be a lovely sounding stack with everything liftable by an individual & not too clunky to get in/out of cars.

it would be replacing a fairly big rig
[/quote]Big, but the drivers used in those Orange cabs are marginal in what matters, which is excursion/displacement. I'd venture that a Barefaced Super Twin would have much more output than your old stack.

Ampw-wise I`d look at the GK MB Fusions as Discreet has said, Aguilar Tonehammer, or Ashdown Rootmaster (was very impressed when I both tried one of these out at the LBGS, and heard one in full gigging volume a couple of weeks back.

Cabs, well I like Barefaced cabs, but Schroeder also do good lightweight cabs, and am yet to hear anything unfavourable re TKS. My Barefaced Super12Ts are great cabs. I`m really gassing for the 410 & 210 set-up at them moment, trying to talk myself out of it, but reading all the glowing reports isn`t helping. My needs are for visual cabbage as well as the sound (it makes a difference on some scenes, you`re not a "real" band unless you have a big backline), but if I were looking purely at ease of use etc I`d check out two of the BF Big Baby 2s.

A small public service announcement guys.

I've just removed one post that was about to turn this into a sales thread.

I'm obviously happy for you to discuss the relative pro's and cons of amplification here, even heft (:rolleyes:), but if this wanders off into being an unofficial marketplace, I shall be forced to introduce this topic, 'heft' and the recycle bin to each other. :)

I'm very impressed with my Mesa Subway D800. Major drop in weight compared to my V4BH and no loss in tone. Nice balanced sound, easy to get a good, thick tone and makes me smile packing this in my gig bag. Playing through a 610 HLF but eagerly awaiting the arrival of a Subway 115 and 112 next week, all being well.

In all seriousness, I think you can take your pick on the modern day cabs. I use the Vanderkley 210MNT's which I love the tone from, but having played through & owned Barefaced, GK, Ashdown, TKS, Tecamp, Aguilar, EBS they'll all do you a decent turn. It's getting into personal preferences regards cost, size, weight & finish that the disagreements start.

Terror bass 500 and OBC115 + £14.99 trolley from Aldi-job done.
I also use a SP212 cab as well,on their own or both but it,s big and very louderer with both cabs and they fit on the trolley together.
Wheel me to that gig.
So stick with your OBC 115 and ad a 12" or 2x12" and hold on.Modular rig for any ocassion.
Great amp and full power with one or both cabs why has nobody thought of this before

(...)
(...)
[/quote]

Back on topic, i would go for the new B[size=1]arefaced [/size]4x10" if i was looking for a tweeterless old school sound or the B[size=1]arefaced[/size] Big Twin / TKS 2x12 for a modern sound. I guess that these options would be able to outperform the orange cabs in SPL and, most importantly, in weight. IMO obviously

The AD200b Mk3 is not being sold. Despite it's huge weight, I would regret not having such a tone monster capable of excessive volume.

The 4x10 has gone. I was going to keep the 1x15 but I have no plans on using it, and I'll use my DB212 with the Orange amp, so the 1x15 is now on hold locally.

It has made a huge amount of space free, but I'm pretty certain now that I'll just see how things go. If I were to buy any bass related cabs now, I think I'd go as small and as light as possible (modular).