Why become a member? ×

Thomann 'Customer Care' frustration. [rant]

Paul S

Three weeks ago I bought a small, cheap back up amp from Thomann. New, not B stock. When it arrived it was evidently heavily used. Lots of scratches and a dent in the front fascia. Had I actually bought it as B stock I would have still been disappointed as it is quite scruffy. However, it works (pots are scratchy) and is just about loud enough to get me out of a pickle should the need arise. I took some pics and sent them, saying I was happy to keep it if they offered a reasonable discount.

Since then I have been backwards and forwards in correspondence with them. They insisted I take pics of the Thomann packaging, despite my repeatedly telling them it is not damage caused in transit. Every time I disagreed with their 'procedures' (= pointless bureaucracy) I have been ignored until I prompt again with another email. I have ended up spending hours trying to sport it out and finally they offered me a desultory 10% discount or a complete refund if I send it back, which involves more inconvenience to take it to the post office. It is discontinued, so I can't ask for a replacement.

10% off new price for a heavily used secondhand item doesn't sound reasonable to me so I said they should improve on that. Or, if they couldn't, then just give me a return slip for complete refund. I've now waited 2 days for a reply. 3 weeks since I got it and still in limbo.

Anyone else been treated shabbily by Thomann? I've not had a problem before but will certainly never buy anything from them again if this is how they carry on.

What you're missing here is that 10% may not seem much to you, but if you send it back they will get a 100% refund from the manufacturer and they get to sell a good one to you as a replacement.

So all they're saving is the return carriage. So I'd send it back if I were you.

Numbers aside, it is the way I have been dicked about by Customer Care I am getting frustrated about. I just found an email address for the boss, Hans Thomann, so bashed out a complaint to him.

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1460104180' post='3022541']
Personally, I've never had a problem with Thomann, but from what you've said, aren't most of the problems you've had to do with negotiating a discount in order to keep it? Always problematic in my experience. Straight up return would have been far simpler and relatively hassle free. Plenty of other amps that can do the same job, whatever it is that you've bought.
[/quote]

Sorry to say it Paul, but I'm with Hiram on this.
I bought two PJB C4 LITES from Thomann just before Christmas.
They arrived swiftly and were immaculate, but I hated them instantly. Lovely tone but no power.
I mailed Thomann, they told me to send them back. Yes, two cabs into a town centre PITA post office was not a joy, but I got a full refund and paid no postage.
First time I've ever sent anything back and frankly I was a bit embarrassed to do so.
Thomann were exemplary.
Doesn't help you.
Good luck.

WOT - I hit them with - 'I bought new stock, you sent me B stock, I would be happy to keep it with an appropriate discount'. So far as I can see that is a sensible option that costs everyone involved less time, money and hassle.

Warren - in a way you are right, had I opted for a full refund straight away then the whole thing would have been done and dusted. But, rather than all the wrangling over how much discount I might/might not get, the thing that has annoyed me is the supercilious way I have been dealt with.

Anyway, my email to the boss prompted contact from the head of Customer Care and I have now decided to take a full refund and move on.

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1460116529' post='3022718']
WOT - I hit them with - 'I bought new stock, you sent me B stock, I would be happy to keep it with an appropriate discount'. So far as I can see that is a sensible option that costs everyone involved less time, money and hassle.

Anyway, my email to the boss prompted contact from the head of Customer Care and I have now decided to take a full refund and move on.
[/quote]

Ah, OK - that seems reasonable. A good outcome.

I've had mixed results with Thomann. Had some exemplary items but also been dicked about when I bought a 'Displayed' Varaix in the days before B Stock. It had clearly been ragged, came without manual, stereo lead and power supply and they argued the toss when I rang them about it. The issue went back and forth or a month so I wrote to the CEO having been offered a further small discount. In the end go it for less than £500 when they were £ 700.

Write to the Boss!

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1460104180' post='3022541']
Personally, I've never had a problem with Thomann, but from what you've said, aren't most of the problems you've had to do with negotiating a discount in order to keep it? Always problematic in my experience. Straight up return would have been far simpler and relatively hassle free. Plenty of other amps that can do the same job, whatever it is that you've bought.
[/quote]

That's what I think too.
Email is never going to be a fast way to negotiate a discount, where you may need a more open two-way communication channel. Try phoning them for that and I'm sure you'll get an answer within minutes, even if it's not the answer you want,
If you just want to return it, Thomann makes it pretty easy.

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1460049708' post='3022130']
Why would they get a refund from the manufacturer? It is B stock. Someone evidently kept it, used it, then sent it back. Unless I have missed something.
[/quote]

Sorry, you clearly have inside knowledge of Thomann's contracts with suppliers more than I do.

Your trouble is you made it complicated by trying to save more money than they're prepared to take off. My guess is you're over estimating Thoman's margins.

You've a lot to learn about commerce. I wish Thomann luck on this one.

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1460148086' post='3023168']
Sorry, you clearly have inside knowledge of Thomann's contracts with suppliers more than I do.

Your trouble is you made it complicated by trying to save more money than they're prepared to take off. My guess is you're over estimating Thoman's margins.

You've a lot to learn about commerce. I wish Thomann luck on this one.
[/quote]

You seem to have taken this one personally. No need to be quite so patronising, though.

Yes, I do seem to have over complicated things and now wished I had taken a straight refund in the first place. Had I done that, then being treated like I was something scraped from the bottom of their shoe wouldn't have happened and I wouldn't have wasted so much time trying to sort it out. Live and learn, eh.

Sometimes if you get a wrong-un they will sort it w/o a quibble, other times they will quibble to a
degree that seems very petty.

That's the price you sometimes have to pay for their low prices and the fact they have virtually no
competition now over here in the UK at the lower end of the price point....

I bought a pair of Genelec monitors from them in October 2014. One stopped working in January this year. I contacted them by email, with 30 minutes they replied and sent me a rpostage paid return slip. A week later they sent me a brand new monitor. I seriously don't think you can beat that.

I got a cab from them recently on a good price, it had minor damage, they asked for photos of the packaging, which i sent, was offered a discount which seemed fair.
If it hadn't I would have just sent it back. I found them pretty easy to deal with and trust them more than most.

Edited by Woodinblack

I won't get onto the thing they've failed to deliver twice with no notification of attempts to deliver. Not that it's been sat in a warehouse for a fortnight...

And that I now need to return (don't need the item - the job it was for has passed) but can't just have sent back from the depot and have to re arrange delivery to me so I can wait for the same depot to pick up and send back to them for a refund.

That's me and them done. Pain in the arse.

[quote name='AndyTravis' timestamp='1460496611' post='3026348']
I won't get onto the thing they've failed to deliver twice with no notification of attempts to deliver. Not that it's been sat in a warehouse for a fortnight...

And that I now need to return (don't need the item - the job it was for has passed) but can't just have sent back from the depot and have to re arrange delivery to me so I can wait for the same depot to pick up and send back to them for a refund.

That's me and them done. Pain in the arse.
[/quote]

Is that Thomann's fault ? I thought they used couriers to deliver stuff, usually DHL in Germany, parcel force over here. If you click on the tracking you can activate the email notification thing to track progress of the shipment.

Edited by ambient

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1460560007' post='3026818']
Is that Thomann's fault ? I thought they used couriers to deliver stuff, usually DHL in Germany, parcel force over here. If you click on the tracking you can activate the email notification thing to track progress of the shipment.
[/quote]

yeah, unfortunately it depends on the local depot/delivery and Thomann (or any company for that matter) have little control over that. It's frustrating.