Why become a member? ×

Bass player wanted.

Phil Starr

My band has broken up so I'm looking for a new band. There's plenty of ads out there, but what I don't get is why people are so bad at getting back to you. I've sent out a few emails to people advertising but over half of them don't even bother replying. These are ads that have gone up in the last few days, why advertise if you aren't organised enough to even send a 'sorry, post filled' reply.

In other cases I've had a reply and asked about the set list, where do you practice, etc. only to have the emails dry up. A female singer who wanted a band who couldn't be bothered to tell me what style of music she wanted to sing, bands who went quiet as soon as I started talking about meeting and jamming/auditioning.

I've had similar experiences when I was recruiting, people who would answer with an initial email who went quiet when a set list or a try out was mentioned. People who send you a phone no and then don't answer.

It's bad manners of course. 'Sorry I've changed my mind' or the music's just not for me/ we've found someone else is easy enough to say politely and just allows everyone to move on but it's also pretty stupid, if you want a bass player you'd plan auditions before you advertised wouldn't you. If you have several applicants you'd organise to listen to several of them and pick the best match for your band.

Is this just a run of bad luck or have others had the same experiences, is it just that musicians are disorganised?

Edited by Phil Starr

Same issue here too. People put up adverts and then never respond or you put up an advert saying 'looking for working covers/function band' and get responses like 'oh, I'm putting together a jam band for fun. Nothing serious, just a few friends jamming if you're interested?' and then they get an arse on when you tell them you'd pass on that because them that wasn't really what you'd advertised.

I've found that most people who are organised and run bands also run other musical events, like open mic nights and buskers nights so networking there is a much better foot in the door. They get an informal look at how well you can play and your adaptability and skills to pick up and play anything with anyone. If you do well there, it's a natural progression that they'll then call you to dep something last minute or if they need a bassist when their band or a mates band loses their bassist.

[quote name='Phil Starr' timestamp='1458465470' post='3007708']
...is it just that musicians are disorganised?
[/quote]

Yes, that at least. And as gary mac said, delusional. In my experience the music scene attracts way more wannabees and nutters than just about any other, with the possible exception of the acting profession. A band that is organised and consists of good players who are practical, pragmatic and committed to what they are doing is extremely rare.

[quote name='Highfox' timestamp='1458466057' post='3007713']
Compromise is the key if you want to get on.
[/quote]

Absolutely. Obviously you don't want to be playing music you don't like, or hanging out with people you don't get on with, but apart from that you can forget your idle daydream, there isn't a ready-made band out there that suits you down to the ground that is going to knock on your door and ask if you could please come and play with them if it's not too much trouble? :)

Edited by discreet

Just gone though the same thing myself - replied to an ad for a band that seemed like a good side project to go alongside my main band, waited five days, sent a follow up email which resulted in a message suggesting a phone conversation at a prearranged time:guess what, that didn't happen either. Two days later got a phone call, was asked to send some mp3s which I did ten days ago, haven't heard a thing. Perhaps the mp3s didn't go down well and I am a really crap player and I just don't realise it. Still, a "thanks but no thanks" would be nice. If they can't organise a simple thing like this, I doubt they can organise a band on a continuing basis well enough to keep me interested.

I've been on the look out for a regular gigging covers/function band for a long time, I've gone through all sorts of iterations, even booked rooms for only myself and my two mates to turn up, luckily one of them is my very good friend and utterly reliable drummer!

Move on to today, and I've prepared(not taken much effort as I know all the songs) for what is meant to be an audition today, last conversation was a few days ago, but I'm still waiting for where this is meant to be!

I'll not go as I'm not being messed about and having things arranged last minute. I have other projects I work on and I have a life, messing around with organising people is fast becoming a huge bane in my life! Perhaps it's time I went purely for the cruise work...

Possibly a daft question since I don't know the circumstances of your band's break up, but is there any possibility of you putting something together with any of the remnants?

Mind you, you're still in the same situation with respect to getting replies to ads and managing to actually conclude conversations if you need to advertise for anyone yourself.

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]"Is it just that musicians are disorganised?"[/font][/color]

[color=#282828]"Compromise is the key if you want to get on."[/color]

[color=#282828]Oh well, one out of two isn't bad. Compromise not my strong suit[/color]

[color=#282828]The trouble with the band was lack of organisation and a little bit of delusion. Chaos over every practice, until I introduced the novel idea of booking a practice room. No PA or lights until I set them up. Four or five new songs for a practice but then turning up each having only looked at one and different ones at that and so on. I was getting increasingly grumpy about the lack of commitment and organisation and I kind of let them know it. So no way back. Shame, the singer was good.[/color]

[list]
[*]

[/list]

[quote name='phil.c60' timestamp='1458471112' post='3007788']
Just gone though the same thing myself - replied to an ad for a band that seemed like a good side project to go alongside my main band, waited five days, sent a follow up email which resulted in a message suggesting a phone conversation at a prearranged time:guess what, that didn't happen either. Two days later got a phone call, was asked to send some mp3s which I did ten days ago, haven't heard a thing. Perhaps the mp3s didn't go down well and I am a really crap player and I just don't realise it. Still, a "thanks but no thanks" would be nice. If they can't organise a simple thing like this, I doubt they can organise a band on a continuing basis well enough to keep me interested.
[/quote]
[quote name='JamesBass' timestamp='1458472977' post='3007809']
I've been on the look out for a regular gigging covers/function band for a long time, I've gone through all sorts of iterations, even booked rooms for only myself and my two mates to turn up, luckily one of them is my very good friend and utterly reliable drummer!

Move on to today, and I've prepared(not taken much effort as I know all the songs) for what is meant to be an audition today, last conversation was a few days ago, but I'm still waiting for where this is meant to be!

I'll not go as I'm not being messed about and having things arranged last minute. I have other projects I work on and I have a life, messing around with organising people is fast becoming a huge bane in my life! Perhaps it's time I went purely for the cruise work...
[/quote]

Well not just me then, organising an audition and involving you in a fair amount of 'homework' then failing to keep up their end just isn't fair. There may be a good reason but you'd think they'd contact you and let you know and organise another day.

Phil, you know they won't have listened to the mp3's don't you.

Putting yourself up for any job is a bit stressful. Sometime down the line you are going to have to show people what you can do and be judged on it. You also have to manage your hopes and a possible let down, so just a simple thanks or no thanks and doing things promptly makes it much easier for the person who is waiting.

Shame you are all bass players really or we could make a hell of a covers band :)

[quote name='Phil Starr' timestamp='1458500498' post='3008118']
[color=#282828]No PA or lights until I set them up. Four or five new songs for a practice but then turning up each having only looked at one and different ones at that and so on. I was getting increasingly grumpy about the lack of commitment and organisation and I kind of let them know it. So no way back.[/color]
[/quote]

You did the right thing, imho. You can't possibly carry on like that. Any situation where people don't bother to learn the material or keep cancelling rehearsals and gigs because they want a night down the pub is a waste of time, and I'll walk. They won't change.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1458469323' post='3007762']
I wouldn't expect too much from randoms... tbh.
[/quote]

I've been a random on many occasions and frequently had a lot expected of me. What if you don't personally know a suitable guitarist or singer or whatever? Quit? Or just not have a singer or guitarist or whatever (my favoured solution, actually :D )

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1458501188' post='3008134']
You did the right thing, imho. You can't possibly carry on like that. Any situation where people don't bother to learn the material or keep cancelling rehearsals and gigs because they want a night down the pub is a waste of time, and I'll walk. They won't change.

I've been a random on many occasions and frequently had a lot expected of me. What if you don't personally know a suitable guitarist or singer or whatever? Quit? Or just not have a singer or guitarist or whatever (my favoured solution, actually :D )
[/quote]

Not saying they never work, just that I don't expect too much...

I always know plenty of people...... or know people who know them, so making contact isn't usually a problem.

In terms of putting a 5 piece band together, I could do it in an instant.... but making it work is harder ...so it is all about
who fits with what...not least musically.

Damn.. stories like this make me feel very lucky that I fell into a very organised and well-functioning band with good friends! You just need to keep hunting I guess, if they're this shambolic when searching for a musician it probably wouldn't be a good band to play in anyway.

[quote name='BottomE' timestamp='1458507023' post='3008213']
Best way to get work is by word of mouth but if that doesn't happen its a lottery.
[/quote]

It IS a lottery, and just like the lottery the more times you enter the more chances you have of winning. It's a case of being clear about what you want, how much compromise you're going to accept and then it's a case of slogging through multiple auditions with your 'deluded time-waster' radar turned up full... :)

[quote name='colgraff' timestamp='1458510706' post='3008261']
To make things worse, the difference between a deluded time-waster and an undiscovered genius is sometimes very hard to spot.
[/quote]

Especially as the ratio of deluded time-wasters to deluded time-wasters who are undiscovered geniuses is very high.

I've been there too. Bands not replying, musicians not replying, "singist" turning up for an originals band & wanting to sing Stereophonics songs, female singer looking to start a band & not getting back with info, & once I'd gotten a bunch of instrument players, a female singer which I had great communication with, just failed to show up to a jam (just hope she didn't have a crash on the way over!) & I never heard from her again.
It's hard work! Might be on par with making it big as an actor without leaving your home town.

The band I'm in now are all from my place of work & all pretty good musicians too.

It's never easy is it... I formed a band from scratch last year advertising on gumtree. It was easier as I was playing guitar and had written the basic arrangements for a bunch of tracks for the project. I'm not doing this particular project anymore as I'm crap at guitar and a bass player through and through but anyway...

Among the dreamers and timewasters I met a guy who took all of the demo tracks to his tutor, learn't every note of every part before the first rehearsal, put his own spin on it and turned up with a selection of ideas for each part. On top of that he could really play, great timing and groove and was a really nice bloke, relaxed, no pretentious nonsense, always turned up on time, never messed around noodling when we were talking through ideas etc... Essentially he was the perfect musician to work with and even though that project has disbanded I'd love to work with him again... only problem is he's a f**king bass player :mellow:

Edited by CamdenRob

Thanks for the sympathy everyone and at least I now know 'm not the only one who's ever experienced the non replies.

JTUK I think a 'Random' is now a thing and should be capitalised. Sadly I'm now one of the first official Randoms.

The other thing is that my last band were gigging fairly frequently and so I lost track of a lot of fellow musicians and I need to get back networking again, Oh well, I have a mate coming down this week to play a few songs and we'll probably hit the open mic's, it's performance of sorts....