Why become a member? ×

Wedding Rings

john_the_bass

I've posted in this section as I'm geuninely interested to know how wearing your wedding ring affects you playing bass (or guitar if you do). I'm getting married next year and I wouldn't like her indoors to think that I take my wedding ring off to play and wouldn't fancy losing it either.

Anyway, I'm guessing the big chunky ones are out - do you have a particular style of ring and did you choose it because it was more comfortable for playing the bass?!!

[quote name='john_the_bass' post='289792' date='Sep 23 2008, 11:43 AM']I've posted in this section as I'm geuninely interested to know how wearing your wedding ring affects you playing bass (or guitar if you do). I'm getting married next year and I wouldn't like her indoors to think that I take my wedding ring off to play and wouldn't fancy losing it either.

Anyway, I'm guessing the big chunky ones are out - do you have a particular style of ring and did you choose it because it was more comfortable for playing the bass?!![/quote]

It doesn't really affect my playing at all John (like most things you get used to it).

My Wedding Ring is pretty thick and deep (not enough to make we walk lopsided) but has rounded edges so it doesn't dig in at all.

Try Wedding Rings Direct based in Hove. They used to offer a "try before you buy" service, where they have a number of replica rings in different styles and sizes that you basically hire for a week which gives you a chance to try them out in real life situations.

Edited by Old Horse Murphy

[quote name='Old Horse Murphy' post='289796' date='Sep 23 2008, 11:47 AM']It doesn't really affect my playing at all John (like most things you get used to it).

My Wedding Ring is pretty thick and deep (not enough to make we walk lopsided) but has rounded edges so it doesn't dig in at all.

Try Wedding Rings Direct basedi n Hove. They used to offer a "try before you buy" service, where thye have a number of replica rings in different styles and sizes that you basically hire for a week which gives you a chance to try them out in real lif situations.[/quote]

Shame they don't offer 'wives' on the same deal :)

I find that my wedding ring doesn't affect my playing either - with fingers in the normal fretting position, the ring sits in the gap between the finger on the fretboard and the hand on the neck.

Andy :)

P.S. my ring is a large titanium ring so the ring size shouldn't be a problem!

Edited by backwater

[quote name='john_the_bass' post='289792' date='Sep 23 2008, 11:43 AM']I wouldn't like her indoors to think that I take my wedding ring off to play and wouldn't fancy losing it either.[/quote]

Take it off when playing, better for attracting groupies :)

or put it on your right "wedding" finger, personally take mine off as it gets in the way abit, I've been married so long that wearing a ring or not is not an issue.

Mrs Bassace says that wedding rings are for women only. She hates to see them on men. The only jewelry a man wears should be a watch, preferably a Cartier. Rolexes are definitely out.

What's worn on stage is different, though. I wear a diamante butterfly broach, just to wind her up.

What do you guys wear? , or should this be moved to Off Topic?

Before I start – I’m not married :) (just wanted to make that one clear)

My girlfriend got me a ring after we had been together for about 2 years and I would always take it off when I was playing bass, but the more I go used to it I found that it didn’t feel comfortable without it on. I wear it on the middle finger of my right hand so it’s a slightly different issue to having it on your left hand and dealing with the neck of the bass, but it still took some getting used to and I think that’s all it takes; a bit of getting used to. Mine is quite chunky so that probably didn’t speed up the getting used to it process, but it only took a few weeks and now the only time I notice it is when I don’t have it on.

[quote name='john_the_bass' post='289792' date='Sep 23 2008, 11:43 AM']I'm getting married next year[/quote]

Don't do it! All that stuff that was yours once - you know, all that cool sh*t you've collected over the years? Yeah, that stuff. It'll all be deemed junk and eventually relegated to the attic/shed/charity shop.

The wedding ring won't affect your bass playing as much as the resulting abject misery and self-loathing will.

I've always worn my wedding ring (when I've been married) to play. Current ring is the biggest so far, an 8mm barrel, but poses no problems. Also wear the wedding ring from my first marriage on my right hand, and that doesn't cause any problems either.

[quote name='john_the_bass' post='289792' date='Sep 23 2008, 11:43 AM']I've posted in this section as I'm geuninely interested to know how wearing your wedding ring affects you playing bass (or guitar if you do). I'm getting married next year and I wouldn't like her indoors to think that I take my wedding ring off to play and wouldn't fancy losing it either.

Anyway, I'm guessing the big chunky ones are out - do you have a particular style of ring and did you choose it because it was more comfortable for playing the bass?!![/quote]

Good on yer john. I got married last month. My ring isnt chunky its a bit flatter then the norm. i have however noticed the difference when playin. you see i have short fat fingers (like dusty hill) and a very lazy left hand when it come to playing, i have therefore noticed it keep ssnagging on the G. After my last practice (3rd since i got back form honeymoon) i have noticed my left position is getting better and a little more 'normal' (thumb in the middle of the neck almost and not hanging over the top!) for this i thank my wife. getting married improved my playing! Thank Feck i dint get i ring tattooed instead!

Hurrah for mweddings. Boo for nazis!

mines chunky and weighs a tonne! I have to take the ring off my third finger on my right hand. A hang up from playing guitar but when i started playing bass again i've not noticed any problems playing with my left hand.

Mines court shaped so rounded on the inside and outside which makes it extremely comfortable.

[quote name='Galilee' post='290109' date='Sep 23 2008, 04:56 PM'][quote name='tauzero' post='289922' date='Sep 23 2008, 01:15 PM']
Also wear the wedding ring from my first marriage on my right hand[/quote]

How does your current wife feel about that?

[size=1](Or were you widowed?)[/size]
[/quote]
She's fine with it. It's the ring from my first marriage - although my first wife is now dead, we'd been divorced for years when it happened.