Why become a member? ×

Bass Guitar Aesthetics – What do you hate?

CamdenRob

[quote name='MarkG3' timestamp='1457878064' post='3002563']
Fanned frets and obvious wood joins are two I really don't like
[/quote]
Absolutely agree. Judging by the number of votes for single cuts, the makers better drop them from their catalogues pretty quickly or risk alienating bass players forever! Is the Les Paul a single cut???

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1457616637' post='3000159']
Hmm. Looks like all my basses have met the criteria already...
[/quote]

Was thinking that too.

Only thing I can think of is novelty basses like the Warwick anniversary W bass, Gene Simmons axe bass etc. But then I still see the point.

For me it's...

- Lakland bridges,
- modern single cuts,
- maple necks with black block inlays,
- 5 strings are pushing it so any more just forget it,
- white plastic pickup covers (sooooooo cheap looking), and
- comedy paint jobs (define that however you like but I know them when I see them...)!

Edited by TrevorR

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1457615462' post='3000127']
However we still don't know which is the best bass for metal, so have a think about that.
[/quote]

I thought that had been finally settled?

However on stuff I'm not too keen on then:

Green or blue basses (and white too for that matter - but quite like vintage white or cream or whatever it's called)
LEDs
Big square lumpy heels
Gold hardware
Overly large bridge assemblies
Single cuts
Jumbo frets

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1457962026' post='3003352']
Had it? What is it, then?
[/quote]

Can't remember :blush:, but I'm sure there was a thread somewhere with a most unlikely ending.

I used to avoid gold hardware until I got one of these:

http://www.cortguitars.com/en/product/rithimic-v

...and the aesthetics really work [i](all 'eye of the beholder', of course)[/i]. Although I must admit I don't usually let aesthetics dictate too much of what I buy - I'm far more influenced by things like string spacing, neck shape and pickup configuration. I'm the same with cars :)

So no real "hates" for me, although perhaps a somewhat controversial "yawn" - and that's P-basses! I know, shocking. I own one myself and love it dearly. But I don't get the excitement around different colour and pick guard choices. To me it's like: [i]"Yay, another P-bass that looks just like another P-bass - only it's a different colour!" [/i]Great basses, for sure. But what's left to say about the look of them? Zip.

[quote name='keefbaker' timestamp='1457969871' post='3003490']
I don't like basses with another mans penis on them. I think if another mans penis is touching my bass, it makes me less inclined to play it.
[/quote]

Can't say I've ever encountered this problem.
Bollocks yes, all the time, but never a penis.

I dont have a real pet hate in basses, possibly a jealous dislike of stuff which costs more than i earn in six months.

I dislike bassists whose opening line is -" oh youve only got a squire". Or other brand name less expensive than the dollar laden beast in their case.

Oh, also cant understand the continuing fascination with warwick. IMO. Loadsa money for - eh something bland , in my experience.

[quote name='Black Coffee' timestamp='1458119895' post='3004793']
Oh, also cant understand the continuing fascination with warwick. IMO. Loadsa money for - eh something bland , in my experience.
[/quote]

I don't see it myself either.

Also see: quacky duck sound (ie: playing 16ths right near the bridge on a bridge j-style pickup)

[quote name='keefbaker' timestamp='1457969871' post='3003490']
...if another man's penis is touching my bass, it makes me less inclined to play it.
[/quote]

The bass or the penis..? *Cue jokes about knobs, fingering, g-string, bottom-end, strap on, etc. etc*

[quote name='Black Coffee' timestamp='1458119895' post='3004793']
I dislike bassists whose opening line is -" oh youve only got a squire".
[/quote]

I wouldn't worry about people like this... Anyone who says something similar is clearly a nob and you can safely ignore any opinions they might have... :mellow: