Why become a member? ×

Bass Shapes (jazz, bass, singlecut, completely original)

EBS_freak

I'd personally love a singlecut design, but would worry about the weight of it - anyone know if this is an issue? I think some people have just got it right when it comes to singlecut designs (Sei and Shuker spring to mind), and the shape of the flow of the solid upper 'horn?' into the neck really sets them apart from the stunted-looking ones. I mainly want one because of the neck stability and sustain, but they are unjustifiably expensive compared to many other excellent basses.

I love the shape of my Bass Collection at the moment - any high end clones knocking around?

I have a liking for the Tune TWB shape - obviously - and as much as I like Steinberger L-types (I have two Hohner copies), I have to admit they look a bit too small on me, and I thought the same of the Warwick Thumb. (I'm 5'11½" in my socks; not as tall as Mike Rutherford, but certainly wider.)

Regarding Fender shapes... never liked the headstock shape, too neck-heavy for me. However, I can understand why they're stuck in the past for commercial reasons. They can't change radically, any more than MacDonalds could change their cheeseburger. The spectre of [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Coke"]New Coke[/url] still haunts US industry... :)

On the question of what I would like to see from a manufacturer... I don't know, exactly, but I want to see Design (with a capital D) that relates to the wider Design world of today. Not just in shape, but in use of materials and [i]appropriate[/i] technology. Fenders epitomised the design style of the late 50s, particularly the Stratocaster, and (strange as this may sound) I was impressed by the fact that the Steinberger L-type didn't just appeal to bassists, but also won Industrial Design awards. Carbon Graphite is not new any more, but I like that Status Graphite are still trying new things such as the Streamline.

Edited by bnt

[quote name='jamesf' post='290245' date='Sep 23 2008, 07:00 PM']I'd personally love a singlecut design, but would worry about the weight of it - anyone know if this is an issue? I think some people have just got it right when it comes to singlecut designs (Sei and Shuker spring to mind), and the shape of the flow of the solid upper 'horn?' into the neck really sets them apart from the stunted-looking ones. I mainly want one because of the neck stability and sustain, but they are unjustifiably expensive compared to many other excellent basses.

I love the shape of my Bass Collection at the moment - any high end clones knocking around?[/quote]

I have a Sei 4 Singlecut (the first Series 2 - was built for Alex at the Gallery) and it weighs no more than eight pounds, probably less. It's the lightest bass I own, and with the exception of a Westone Quantum headless (Steinberger-esque) probably the lightest bass I have ever owned. I wouldn't worry about the weight if I were you.

[quote name='jamesf' post='290245' date='Sep 23 2008, 07:00 PM']I'd personally love a singlecut design, but would worry about the weight of it - anyone know if this is an issue?[/quote]

I had a Sei Singlecut 6 (series 1) and weight was definitely not an issue - the bass weighs around 9lbs and is beautifully balanced for playing both stood and seated. I'm a big fan of singlecuts and for me, Sei (series 1s) are the most elegant and beautifully constructed (the sculpting of the heel and carving of the face into the neck and body is exquisite)

Edited by lozbass

[quote name='lozbass' post='290639' date='Sep 24 2008, 10:26 AM']I had a Sei Singlecut 6 (series 1) and weight was definitely not an issue - the bass weighs around 9lbs and is beautifully balanced for playing both stood and seated. I'm a big fan of singlecuts and for me, Sei (series 1s) are the most elegant and beautifully constructed (the sculpting of the heel and carving of the face into the neck and body is exquisite)[/quote]

All depends on the wood I guess. The biggest worry for me would be the fact that all that wood on one side could make the bass neck light...

[quote name='stylonpilson' post='289899' date='Sep 23 2008, 12:52 PM']With the exception of electric guitars and electric basses, what other musical instruments have significant stylistic variation within the species? You never hear a trumpet player complaining about the fact that all trumpets look the same.

S.P.[/quote]
Dizzie Gillespie?

The Jazz is simply a classic design which works in almost every situation you'll ever find yourself in, musically. It's comfy and looks good too, so I can understand why it's so universally copied. Of the non-Leo Fender designs, I think Ibanez's SR body shape is a winner, though why they insist on the 5's having such skinny string spacing is a mystery to me. Aris's SB shape is excellent - function and comfy but maybe too tied to the 80's. I had a Ric 4003, loved the look, loved the tone, couldn't stand playing it though, stupid pickup mount in the way and that right angled edge embedded in my forearm just didn't work out for me. Lakland's 44-55 shape is comfy but the lower horn is just wrong and not the comfiest sitting down. Streamer is comfy but where they attach the strap up high above the bridge means it gets in the way it you play it above the waist. Singlecuts and Bongos just don't do it for me, an instrument has got to delight you visually too and they're just... wrong. Abominations is too strong a word but you know what I mean. In the end, Leo Fender got it right with the Jazz, why would you want to mess about with it? Let it lie, man, let it lie.

[quote name='tauzero' post='290059' date='Sep 23 2008, 04:01 PM']I keep trying to like singlecuts but the aesthetics jar with me. Which is a bit odd, because I've always liked the looks of Les Pauls.[/quote]
+1, though Lowdown's single-cut in his avatar looks good, only one I've ever liked (apart from the Les Paul!)

My Only Bass for the last couple of years has been a single cut [Fretless aside]
Has no weight issues, really snug to play..
Fantastic access to the dusty end.
Balance spot on.
No neck dive.
No dead spots and sustains for ever.
I did have it custom built, so it is exactly how i wanted a bass to be.
Not every ones cup of tea as a visual.
But i like a Bass to play good and get the job done with ease,and mine does that.
Not bothered with what it looks like.
After donkeys years of messing with Fenders,
[and a Green 5 stg Sadawsky Jazz..the worst 2 grand i have ever spent..a real pig to play and
a neck that could not stay still for 5 minutes]
I am now one happy bunny.

My Fretless is a 68 Jazz, it was my First real Bass..so it has to stay.
Not really a Fender any more.
Frets were taken out about 20 years ago.
Badass bridge.
And Emg's...And that was because the stock pups were so noisey and sounded crap.
The usual neck dive and weighs a ton.
Gotta say though...There is something about a beaten up looking Fender Jazz that makes me smile.

Garry

Edited by lowdown

The Jazz and Precision shapes are the standard for basses. so I think that luthiers offer a Jazz style bass to appeal to more potential customers. After all they are a business, so in offering a J-style bass stops potential customers from passing them by and buying someone elses J-bass!

Some shapes based on the P and J do not work for me at all, but not having a clue about design I don't know why. Singlecuts have to extend well into the neck so they balance properly and again, some look great and others not so great, especially when you look at the back of them.

Just proves that Leo Fender got so many things right back in 1951.

[quote name='Doctor J' post='292036' date='Sep 25 2008, 04:47 PM']Aris's SB shape is excellent - function and comfy but maybe too tied to the 80's.[/quote]

But a shape that is itself being imitated.

While they may have started out as imitators, there is a great deal of originality in concepts coming out of Asia - Atlansia have some shapes derived from the traditional - the Jupiter and the Stealth being takes (if slightly twisted) on the Jazz - but some that are unique - the Pentagone and the Oxford (bizarre). As an alternative to the Stealth, I'm interested in playing the Galaxy and the Pegasus to see how these compare for balance of ergonomic fit.

I've been doing some looking at basses that are comfortable when you're sitting down as I play in theatre orchestras. In this situation you can be sat for a long time with the bass on your knee - and any unbalance becomes very noticeable - particularly during the talking bits when you're not playing. It's amazing how annoying it can be.

I like the look of a Jazz but I've found the Precision shape the best for comfort (and the new 08 US the best of these so far but I haven't tried many yet). On a J the knee cut is nearer the bridge so the whole thing sits further to the left (for a right-hander), meaning more stretch to the low end and more weight on the left hand. The P (at least the 08) is very well balanced and the larger body seems to support the right arm very nicely with the weight of the arm helping to counteract the weight of the neck. The result is that the bass just "sits there" - at least it does for me. Balances nicely standing up as well, but so does the 08 J I tried.

The P-shape also sits nicely in my guitar stand.

Back in the 30s and 40s guitar players in big bands played sat down and I suspect Leo Fender had it in mind that P Bass players would also play mainly sat down.

Cheers

Hey guys

It's a weird one isn't it - I guess I really loved some of the Fodera Single Cuts, purely on an aesthetic level they did 'float my boat', obviously Matt Garrison's Imperial design was one but I also Tom Kennedy's Empiror single cut is pretty lovely. I will admit I wasn't always taken with the Sei designs a few years ago but I remember being in the shop when a couple of the first single cuts were finished by Martin. Particularly the one reviewed in BGM - it used to belong to dude called Kevin Lindsey (he's sadly had to sell it) - and that just blew me away when I saw it. A coulpe of others with a Thuya burr top and some of the recent ones (see below) just really appealed to me. So when I finally ordered mine - after three or more years of deliberating (and being skint) - I'd given it a lot of thought and really knew what I wanted. That goes for the wood choices, the buckeye top, the pups etc.

But I am still a fan of more traditional shapes - I love the way MTDs, Roscoes, most Nordstrands, and some Sadowskys look - I personally think it also really comes down to the instrument's personality - Ped's Vigier is a prime example of that - I think my old 1990 Thumb bass was another. Basses with a distinct character that overides quirky design or other negative factors like being too heavy etc.

Now that I have my 'exotic' bass I'm not tempted to get another one - why have ten Ferraris? - I love my SC it plays great, sounds great and always gets a great reaction on gigs and just generally - so that's great - I don;t need another. I also love my fretless which is based on a Tobias body shape:

So I think with a lovely Sei Jazz 4 string I'll have all I need - the thing is not what gear you have, it's what you do with that counts. So I'll keep working on that no matter what I own.

Anyway - that's enough from me - couple of beauties to close with:

Cheers

Mike