Why become a member? ×

Backup Gear - Anyone take a spare cab with them?

Lozz196

Buying good gear and looking after it is the best insurance.

There will always be single points of failure.

Sometimes you need a backup brain. Last week our guitarist left his leads and pedals at home. The week before the drummer forgot his stool.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1457308661' post='2997321']

Sometimes you need a backup brain. Last week our guitarist left his leads and pedals at home. The week before the drummer forgot his stool.
[/quote]

I once forgot my strap after having driven 45 miles to a gig.

[quote name='colgraff' timestamp='1457338604' post='2997396']
I once forgot my strap after having driven 45 miles to a gig.
[/quote]

I've turned up without a strap once too, I used a strap from the speaker cases (everyone plays with a PA right?) it was the most uncomfortable gig ever.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1457308661' post='2997321']

[/quote]

Yup, we had a gig last year where the dep drummer forgot their kick pedal. Had to mic up a box for them to kick...and I put a right shift in covering the gaps... :( <_<

Still haven't got my own DI pedal (we have two or three spares in the PA kit, tho), otherwise I have two of everything. Except brains: I've barely got one of them most of the time... :unsure: :D

For about 7 years, I played in a band with a 3k rig which we used mainly in pubs. Despite it being a great PA, I still took my own bass rig because my bass sounded better through it compared to the PA with its Mackie sub, which gave lots of sub-bass frequencies, but little definition.

Now I play in a band with a small vocal PA and my Ampeg rig with a 115 cab suits it perfectly in terms of sound, volume and footprint.. However I will occasionally carry a 210 cab as a spare just in case! And, if the venue permits, then it gives me the chance to use the full rig I have, which is a treat for me.

Yes, it's more effort, but it works for me.

Absolutely not, it's bad enough taking the ones I'm actually going to use! DI (I have two options for this, three if you include the inevitable venue provided one) is fine for me if it all goes wrong.

I honestly can't recall ever having seen a cab go at gigs I've played or even been spectating at, a few amps (including an SVT last night), a few basses, lots of pedals but cabs? You've got to draw the line somewhere.

No, on the basis that the Barefaced cabs I run can cope with my amp at full chat and still have plenty in the tank. As it I rarely run the amp at more than about 60% on the master volume so I suspect the cabs are just cruising. Plus if one pops I still have the other that could do just fine on its on.

Edited by ead

I always have a spare EBS Riedmar under the car seat in case and usually have a 2 cab set up.(2x10 plus a 1 x 12) if the venue is too small for 2 cabs then the 1x12 stays in the car or if i find its too loud with both cabs I unplug the 1 X12..... and thats me covered every which way......unless my car is stolen with the back up in it whilst playing first set...

No, I take spare strings and cables but that's about it.

The only times I've had gear issues were when I first started playing and used to break strings (bad technique) and when I've used active basses and had preamp or battery issues. I almost always use passive now, and I still carry spare 9V batteries!

Most gigs I do now have PA support so if my amp or cab died I could fall back to pure DI.

Hugh

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1457353685' post='2997584']
Lozz, are you seeking reassurance that gigging with two S12s is really a very sensible and practical thing? :D
[/quote]

No, not at all - well not that much anyway :lol: .Most gigs I only use the one anyway, I was just wondering if anyone did. Many take backup basses, and at the weekend I took along my backup amp head for the other bands to use. For me it`s the Preamp/DI pedal route, stick that through FOH would get me out of any bother, just curious to see if anyone took along an extra cab.

I've had a 4x10 fail on me (fortunately when we were going through a venue's PA) so I'm a bit cautious now - I use 2 1x12s and I think one should cope with the sound levels we play at. Yes, we do play with a PA but it's a pair of SRM450s and I'd rather not put the bass through them. More specifically, they're my SRM450s and I pay if they need fixing. Again, they should cope with the levels we play at but I'd rather not.

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1457281786' post='2997009']
+1

Being in two halves makes it easier to transport as well.
[/quote]
+1 all that. Sometimes i leave one of them in the car if its a small gig but its there if i need it. That said, never had a speaker go during a gig (cue the next post on the "last nights gig" thread.