Why become a member? ×

NAD GK MB Fusion 500

bassix

After getting cold feet with my Ashdown and deciding to move on I thought I'd go Class D to see what the fuss is about. I wasn't willing to wait for the new Peavey stuff so I got this from a fellow basschatter instead, and whilst its early days and I've only listened through headphones... it sounds amazing!

Whether the new rotosounds and SPB3 pickup installation has made a crucial difference I don't know but all I can say is that the sounds in my head are coming out of this thing beautifully. I'm not particularly good with finding sounds usually given my lack of patience but I sat for an hour yesterday and managed to find something akin to a Mike Dirnt tone, a smoother, bass heavy sound like Matt Freeman then some altogether nastier tones on top! As such it seems to be flexible tonally but also quite intuitive to make those changes, in fairness it was difficult to find a bad sound.

All of this should be said with the caveat that it hasn't been used in the band context yet, I will update when after its debut run out but early signs are indeed promising. Amazing to think that up to a few weeks ago I'd never considered GK despite the positive reviews I've seen bandied about. Just goes to show you should never rule out any brand until you've tried them yourself.

Now I just need some light cabs to complete the rig, any suggestions?!

Edited by bassix

[quote name='bassix' timestamp='1456918997' post='2993470']
Now I just need some light cabs to complete the rig, any suggestions?!
[/quote]

Great amp. I'm going to suggest a Barefaced Super Compact. You'll only need one. :)
http://barefacedbass.com/product-range/Super-Compact.htm

Well I`d def suggest a Barefaced cab. Given the style of music, and that probably many of the gigs are through FOH, Barefaced will be great, as in this respect seeing as they are very neutral sounding, what you get on stage is what then goes to FOH, so you and the audience get the same sound.

• 3 weeks later...

GK MB800 into a Gen 2 Barefaced Compact 1x15. I can pick the rig up with one finger!

Very clean and insanely loud - keeps up with Orange + 2x12 & Engl + 4x12. Works great in a band context if you want to cut through, but isn't the warmest of tones. The 10s are more organic/traditional in character.

Congrats on the new head. I got a MB800 this week. So far ive only used it once through my Barefaced BB2 but i love the tone. Its not a cutting and brittle as i had imagined. Ill need to cover a lot of 60's and Motown stuff with it but i feel it will handle these tones well, even though GK isnt really known for warm and round. It seems very versatile.

It seems very hissy through the headphone jack but other than that its definitely a keeper and im much happier with the tone compared to my Markbass F1/VTBass set up.....so far.

Only thing with the MB800 is that the fans can get very noisy when you run it at higher volumes (although that's not really a suprise as it's throwing a lot of heat out). My band rehearses loud and it's noticeable when we break.

EDIT: Profile pic now picked Barefaced & GK up with one finger! :yarr:

Edited by hairychris

Ah yes, I did notice that when we stopped playing. Not really bothered bothered about it but it's a shame they are so loud. I'm sure with better fans the noise could be kept down.
I was quite surprised at how hot the top of the amp got, and we were only rehearsing in a smallish room. Master on about 12, gain A on about 11. I suppose we do practice quite loud, although the bass didn't sound that loud, and it's below the Drums in the recording I made.
Still, it's early days for me, but I do love the tone so I'm not going to be changing heads for a few years.

They seem like a perfect match.
Im still trying to figure out the best to set the Gain/Master. I know the manual states use the Gain to control the overall level, and have the master up quite high, but im wondering if doing things the more conventional way will be better.
Plenty to play around with though.

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1458567075' post='3008601']
They seem like a perfect match.
Im still trying to figure out the best to set the Gain/Master. I know the manual states use the Gain to control the overall level, and have the master up quite high, but im wondering if doing things the more conventional way will be better.
Plenty to play around with though.
[/quote]

I always used the Gain to push the preamp valves then used the master for overall stage volume. Setting up the "GK way" makes it harder to get any real grit (in my experience)

[quote name='Merton' timestamp='1458568710' post='3008628']

I always used the Gain to push the preamp valves then used the master for overall stage volume. Setting up the "GK way" makes it harder to get any real grit (in my experience)
[/quote]
Me too,mind I'm amplifying double bass so too much gain just causes feedback.
I usually run gain & master at 12 o'clock for most gigs.
I've yet to run bass guitar through my rig.

Cheers guys. I love the EQ and feel comfortable with it, but I definitely need to play with the Gain bit more. I want to keep it clean and strong, and hopefully use channel B for the dirtier stuff.
Next rehearsal is no Thurday, and it's in a room that I've been getting lost in the mix recently with my F1. Hopping for better things this week.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='Merton' timestamp='1458568710' post='3008628']
[/quote]

Yep I found that way better too. I preferred to get to just breaking up, then back off a tad, so only getting any gain/drive when really digging in.

Lol, you guys need to read the manual ;-)

Maybe its different on the fusion's but the -10db switch on the MB800 has an overload light around the base that changes colour if its overloaded.

EDIT: Yep, seems it is different on the MBF500, but the MBF800 has it.

Edited by dave_bass5

I set mine up using the Gain control on Channels A & B to get the amount of overdrive I wanted and then I use the Master A & B for the overall volume. I think I've got B almost all the way up and A to just before it breaks up. At the moment it's house shakingly loud, but that's because it's still on practice room with a drummer volume :D

I did find I had to have B almost all the way up to get any sort of dirt with my P bass. Not that I really wanted it, but I was hoping to replace my VBTbass with Gain B. I think it's still a bit too polite on the MB800. I guess having tubes in the pre amp would make things a bit better. Not looking for OD, just a nice warm break up.

Can't wait until tomorrow night, lots of knob twiddling will be had at rehearsals. I also feel I have to tame the low end, the BB2 is huge down below.