Why become a member? ×

Another Bass Player Wanted Ad Critique

blue

These are always fun. What is your opinion of the opportunity and what type of bass player would be a good fit?

[i]Band 1.[/i]
[i]Looking for a bass player for classic rock blues band. We are retired from our original bands, but still want to jam,not looking to play out anymore. We lost our bass player due to travel.
come jam with us![/i]

[i]Band 2.[/i]
[i]Established country band seeks experienced bassist for immediate opening. Vocals required and additional instruments a plus. Have several quality bookings through summer and stay very active throughout the year. Serious inquiries only please.[/i]

[i]Band 3.[/i]
[i]Start Up, We are Drummer & 2 Guitarist's seeking a Bass player to play cover music 70's- current, We would like to rehearse once a week till ready and then play live once a month.[/i]

[i]Band 4.[/i]
[i]Singer/guitarist needs to find a local bass player to help finish up my original music with the goal of playing out. Style is a mixture of goth/horror punk/thrash/psycho-billy.[/i]

Blue

Band 1.

Straight forward no gigging opportunity. Great for an older guy that merely wants to play with other guys for fun.

Band 2.

Could be a money maker, looks legit. Good for an experienced guy that looking for paying gigs.

Band 3.

Never been big on start ups, 99% never see their first gig. Also not big on more rehearsals than gigs. Good for a guy with no experience looking for a chance to play with others and get ome band experience under his belt.

Band 4.

Not much of an opportunity, sounds like a wannabe action to me. Because of the genres I'd say good for a teenager a young person with song writing aspirations.

Blue

I wouldn't say 99% of startup bands never see their first gig. Perhaps the bar is much lower over here but I'd say the vast majority of (especially cover) bands that form get to see at least one gig as long as they can all play!

Band 4 only.

Band 1 won't be gigging, so no thanks.
Band 2 looks good but they don't know the difference between "enquiry" and "inquiry", so no thanks.
Band 3 could be promising but don't know how to use hyphens, apostrophes or capital letters, so no thanks.

ps. does "playing out" mean gigging? I've not heard it used in this context before, it usually means minimally-supervised communal kids street playtime here.

[size=4][quote name='blue' timestamp='1456895984' post='2993266']
These are always fun. What is your opinion of the opportunity and what type of bass player would be a good fit?

[i]Band 1.[/i]
[i]Looking for a bass player for classic rock blues band. We are retired from our original bands, but still want to jam,not looking to play out anymore. We lost our bass player due to travel.
come jam with us![/i]

[i]Band 2.[/i]
[i]Established country band seeks experienced bassist for immediate opening. Vocals required and additional instruments a plus. Have several quality bookings through summer and stay very active throughout the year. Serious inquiries only please.[/i]

[i]Band 3.[/i]
[i]Start Up, We are Drummer & 2 Guitarist's seeking a Bass player to play cover music 70's- current, We would like to rehearse once a week till ready and then play live once a month.[/i]

[i]Band 4.[/i]
[i]Singer/guitarist needs to find a local bass player to help finish up my original music with the goal of playing out. Style is a mixture of goth/horror punk/thrash/psycho-billy.[/i]
[/quote][/size]
[size=4]A good fit for each..? Seems simple enough, I'd say ...[/size]

[size=4][i]Band 1.[/i]
[i]A [/i][/size][i]classic rock blues[/i][i] bass player, not looking to play out any more, willing to go jam with 'em![/i]

[size=4][i]Band 2.[/i]
[i]A serious, experienced bassist with [/i][i]required [/i][i]vocals and additional instruments.[/i][/size]

[size=4][i]Band 3.[/i]
[i]A Bass player able to play cover music 70's- current, willing to rehearse once a week till ready and then play live once a month.[/i]

[i]Band 4.[/i]
[i]A helpful local bass player in the style of a mixture of goth/horror punk/thrash/psycho-billy.[/i][/size]

[size=4]No problems with any of those anyway; I'm a drummer. :mellow: [/size]

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1456897654' post='2993267']
Band 1.

Straight forward no gigging opportunity. Great for an older guy that merely wants to play with other guys for fun.

Band 2.

Could be a money maker, looks legit. Good for an experienced guy that looking for paying gigs.

Band 3.

Never been big on start ups, 99% never see their first gig. Also not big on more rehearsals than gigs. Good for a guy with no experience looking for a chance to play with others and get ome band experience under his belt.

Band 4.

Not much of an opportunity, sounds like a wannabe action to me. Because of the genres I'd say good for a teenager a young person with song writing aspirations.

Blue
[/quote]

I'd say you're spot on apart from number four where I think you're being a bit harsh - not for me, but would suit a younger guy looking for experience in writing or someone with some time on their hands who likes that range of genres

Band 1 - Only fun when I'm too old to lug gear and/or stay up really late.
Band 2 - Sounds fun but "serious inquiries" sounds like a police investigation, so avoid. [Yes, I know that is the US version of 'enquiry']
Band 3 - Instant death for wilful abuse of apostrophe. Do not pass Go, do not collect £200.
Band 4 - Why not? Sounds fun.

[quote name='Nicko' timestamp='1456925744' post='2993585']
Each to his own, but given a choice of classic Blues, country, classic rock, or gothic thrash I think I'd prefer to give up playing all together.
[/quote]

I can understand that. I really need to see if there's some musicians who just like Playing in St Ives, Cambs. I was spoiled in leeds and liverpool, you couldn't throw a stone without it bouncing off 2 musicians.

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1456910240' post='2993360']
I wouldn't say 99% of startup bands never see their first gig. Perhaps the bar is much lower over here but I'd say the vast majority of (especially cover) bands that form get to see at least one gig as long as they can all play!
[/quote]
^ this. I'd guess that 99% is a bit of an exaggeration, though it depends on how one defines the threshold of being an actual start-up against "this was an idea we had in the pub the other night and are following through in a half-arsed fashion."

Anyway, for my own ha'porth:

Band 1 will probably be the ideal setting when I'm older.
Band 2 sound like they've got their act together. It's unfortunate that I don't like their genre.
Band 3 I'd like to think I would give the time of day to. I certainly wouldn't write them off without having a chin-wag with them first to see what exactly they were planning to do with said start-up.
Band 4...well, I can't see the genre appealing. But if I did, I wouldn't rule them out either; youthful energy and enthusiasm can go along way with the right guidance. (Not that I'm suggesting I'm the right person to provide said guidance!)

[quote name='keefbaker' timestamp='1456928510' post='2993645']
I can understand that. I really need to see if there's some musicians who just like Playing in St Ives, Cambs. I was spoiled in leeds and liverpool, you couldn't throw a stone without it bouncing off 2 musicians.
[/quote]

OMG did you really just mention Liverpool in a Blue thread??????

[quote name='Nicko' timestamp='1456925744' post='2993585']
Each to his own, but given a choice of classic Blues, country, classic rock, or gothic thrash I think I'd prefer to give up playing all together.
[/quote]

Me too 😊

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1456937658' post='2993798']
Whether we like country or not band number 2 is the only real established band with gigs and the opportunity to make some money...
[/quote]

...which just goes to show that all is entirely dependent upon the outlook of the person reading the ad, as one would expect. Some prefer one, some another... I don't see where this could go, really. What's the [i]real [/i]question..? :unsure:

Edited by Dad3353

None grab me. No. 4 especially. I image the writer/guitarist will know exactly what he (thinks) he wants the bas player to be playing, except that he can't play it himself, so he needs you to play just as he tells you.

Or [s]maybe[/s] I'm just a pessimistic cynic

P.S. This is probably why I'm not in a band.

Edited by Grangur