Why become a member? ×

Another Bass Player Wanted Ad Critique

blue

I'd be up for Band 2. In fact, I have recently joined such a band - despite the genre not being top of my list. However, I'm unlearning a lot of things I thought I knew about 'country' music and learning a lot of things I didn't know about it - for example, 'country' musicians are great players, super-keen, punctual and reliable. And that's just for starters. :)

Edited by discreet

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1457047804' post='2994924']

Not a big deal. If your not in a band it probably means one of 2 things;

1. You don't want to be in a band

2. The type of band you would play in just isn't available or realistic.

Blue
[/quote]
My work commitments make it almost impossible to be in a band. :(

Roll on retirement, by which time I'll be old and too knackered to do it. I guess it's all in the roll of the dice isn't it.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1457047804' post='2994924']
Not a big deal. If your not in a band it probably means one of 2 things;

1. You don't want to be in a band

[b]2. The type of band you would play in just isn't available or realistic.[/b]

Blue
[/quote]

I'm beginning to realize this is the reason I'm not currently involved in an active gigging band... what i want just doesn't exist :blink:

... the issue I have is that I'm not that desperate to be in a band that I'll give up any of the things I won't budge on.. and I am pretty inflexible in what I will and won't do :blink:. I would like to get out there gigging again though, that's the best bit for me :). Sadly my current couple of projects seem to be very studio focused.

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1457075799' post='2994993']
I'm beginning to realize this is the reason I'm not currently involved in a gigging band... what i want just doesn't exist... ...the issue I have is that I'm not that desperate to be in a band that I'll give up any of the things I won't budge on... and I am pretty inflexible in what I will and won't do...
[/quote]

I was exactly the same - but having had my time royally wasted by idiots I thought, 'what the hell' and decided to take a step sideways... against the odds it has turned out to be brilliant fun and as a bonus I'm getting paid, too. Once again I find that everything I thought I knew is wrong. :)

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1457077327' post='2995002']
I was exactly the same - but having had my time royally wasted by idiots I thought, 'what the hell' and decided to take a step sideways... against the odds it has turned out to be brilliant fun and as a bonus I'm getting paid, too. Once again I find that everything I thought I knew is wrong. :)
[/quote]

Yes I think I'm going to just give something else a go... I've got nothing to lose and if I don't enjoy it I can always just pack it in :)

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1457077790' post='2995004']
I'm going to give something else a go... I've got nothing to lose and if I don't enjoy it I can always pack it in :)
[/quote]

That's the spirit. You just don't know what you might find. Those lovely Wals deserve to go out into the world and be heard. Or if you don't like that idea, buy a cheap P Bass and a Rumble combo. :lol:

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1457090643' post='2995198']
Might be a boys night out for fun, but they're still a band.
[/quote]

... with maybe less bitterness and snobbery, too. What's not to like in doing things for fun only..? :)

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1457096671' post='2995308']
... with maybe less bitterness and snobbery, too. What's not to like in doing things for fun only..? :)
[/quote]
Spot on.
The C&W band sounds more like a job than enjoyment. I'm not saying that because it's a C&W band, but because it sounds similar to being in a functions band (weddings, ceilidh, birthday dj, etc).
At one point, band 2 would have been band 3. They have to start somewhere. If you're not into watching your band grow & just interested in money, then Band 2 is the one to go for.
If you're interested in music & none of the other 3 appeal, start your own band & maybe call it Band 5. :)

i'm essentislly in number 3 except we're not a startup, been going for about 8 years. work commitments mean we cant practice more than we do and we take what gigs we can get off our own back, we do it for fun but bedroom boys we aint, we take it very seriously as if the audience doesnt enjoy it then we dont enjoy it so its got to be good. We recently played a well known venue in our area and got a better reaction than some of the more established bands that play there from all accounts. but what do i know i'll get back in my room

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1457100870' post='2995358']
The C&W band sounds more like a job than enjoyment.
[/quote]

Maybe to you. I'm enjoying my particular version of Band 2 immensely. It's a country band.

It sounds similar to being in a functions band.
[/quote]

It is not. I've done the function band thing, didn't like it, quit. Money's good, though.

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Weddings, ceilidh, birthday DJ, etc...[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][/quote][/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Why would country be suitable only for these kind of events? People are into it in the same way they're into any other genre. I've done loads of gigs since I joined the band, not one has been at a wedding, a birthday, etc.[/font][/color]

If you're not into watching your band grow & just interested in money, then Band 2 is the one to go for.
[/quote]

Nope - the band is growing nicely, everyone's into it. We do get paid however, that's just a bonus. Why would we not be interested in having our band grow and progress just because we make money at it..? The opposite is true.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1457103541' post='2995401']
Maybe to you..
[/quote]

I think you're mis-interpreted xgsjx's post; he's not associating C&W with all of these ills, merely the 'play anything as long as it pays' mentality, whatever the genre. You're right; most band members take an interest and are engaged in their band, but, if someone is [i]only [/i]in it for the money, Band 2 would be the most obvious choice. This is not an either/or, and most players, I would hope, are, in fact doing more than 'just a job'. Just sayin'; could be wrong.

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1457103541' post='2995401']
Maybe to you. I'm enjoying my particular version of Band 2 immensely. It's a country band...
[/quote]
But is your band the same as Blue's band 2? Put the genre aside, there's nothing wrong with a bit of country music. My last gigging band played a lot of Americana.
Have you joined an already established band or are you still in the "working on getting established" stage?

I think band 2 sounds like the US version of a ceilidh band. More specifically, joining an already established one. If you like playing a specific genre of covers regularly and you enjoy it, then bonus. It's not my cuppa. I like writing songs.
Your band might like writing songs too, I'm not comparing yours with band 2. That's like me comparing band 1 with another BC member's blues band. Just because it's blues, doesn't make it the same band circumstances.

BTW, I'm not dissing C&W.

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1457104208' post='2995406']
I think you've mis-interpreted xgsjx's post.
[/quote]

I think you're probably right. :)

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1457104732' post='2995415']
Have you joined an already established band or are you still in the "working on getting established" stage?
[/quote]

Already established and becoming more so.
I didn't mean my replies to come across as quite so outraged and ranting, btw. :lol:

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1457105288' post='2995424']
Already established and becoming more so.
I didn't mean my replies to come across as quite so outraged and ranting, btw. :lol:
[/quote]
Don't worry about it. I never read it as outraged or ranting. :)
That's the problem with written stuff, it's easy to misinterpret the way in which someone is trying to convey.
I always take it as friendly banter & has to be quite strongly worded for me to view it differently (I.E. You'd have to be calling me names).
The Mrs on the other hand, she's fell out with people via text for simply asking if she wants to do something. :lol:

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1457112090' post='2995535']
The Mrs on the other hand, she's fell out with people via text for simply asking if she wants to do something. :lol:
[/quote]

Well to be fair, it does kind of depend what it is she's being asked to do... :blink:

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1457114916' post='2995562']
Well to be fair, it does kind of depend what it is she's being asked to do... :blink:
[/quote]
:yarr:

Usually one of her friends asking if she wants to go shopping or out for lunch. She'd take that as "are you calling me Out To Lunch ?", which to be honest, she must be. She married me!

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1457104732' post='2995415']
I think band 2 sounds like the US version of a ceilidh band. More specifically, joining an already established one. If you like playing a specific genre of covers regularly and you enjoy it, then bonus. It's not my cuppa. I like writing songs.
[/quote]

Doesn't sound much like the US version of a ceilidh band to me. That would be something like a hoe-down band or whatever the terminology is. Folksy fiddly stuff for barn dancing.

Of course, there's no right answer to this whole conundrum. Do what you wanna do. There's a few as have said they don't like gigging, so band 1 would be their obvious choice. I do like gigging, but there's some appeal to me for each of bands 2, 3, and 4, so I wouldn't exclude any of them without meeting them. Let's face it, I've played "Red Red Whine" for money, so I'm obviously a musical prostitute.

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1457075089' post='2994987']

My work commitments make it almost impossible to be in a band. :(

Roll on retirement, by which time I'll be old and too knackered to do it. I guess it's all in the roll of the dice isn't it.
[/quote]

Then your scenario would come under not realistic because of your work schedule.

Were all different, I'm 63 and feel I have at least another 10 years of productive gigging.

Me, I might be getting older,but I will never be old.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1457096671' post='2995308']

[/quote]

I always have fun when I play. However, I don't play for fun.

I play electric bass guitar and sing for people that pay me money. For me it's a business, a fun business but still a business.

Blue

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1457140078' post='2995822']

I've been thinking about this quite a bit recently and I've come to the conclusion that I'm of the Lemmy philosophy. Gonna rock'n'roll till I die :-)
[/quote]

Me too, it was a "calling" for me, not a choice. It's in my blood.

Blue

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1457136759' post='2995812']

Doesn't sound much like the US version of a ceilidh band to me. That would be something like a hoe-down band or whatever the terminology is. Folksy fiddly stuff for barn dancing.

Of course, there's no right answer to this whole conundrum. Do what you wanna do. There's a few as have said they don't like gigging, so band 1 would be their obvious choice. I do like gigging, but there's some appeal to me for each of bands 2, 3, and 4, so I wouldn't exclude any of them without meeting them. Let's face it, I've played "Red Red Whine" for money, so I'm obviously a musical prostitute.
[/quote]

You know, it's really why I like to see ages in BC posts.Regardless of the topic, what we do and our opinions are going to be different as we get older.

When I was 18, I was all about originals and creativity and didn't care about the money.My outlook changed drastically by the time I was 23.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1457141005' post='2995829']

Again, I've been in two minds over this in recent years. I always used to be "anywhere, anytime man!" even if it was for nothing.

Now, I'm mostly "I'm happy to do it for that, as long as no-one is taking the piss".
[/quote]

I'm always looking for a little extra work outside of my primary band (76 gigs annually).

Locally I think people know If you throw $100.00 my way, I'll do it.

Blue

I think that all four of the adverts in the OP are fine – all clear and realistic in what they are looking for and potentially good opportunities (depending on how good they are) for a suitable candidate. Personally, I would not consider Band 1 at the moment as they are not going to play out but if I was too busy in my day job to commit to regular gigging and wanting to keep my hand in, or if I was new to an area and wanting to make connections then they might be ideal. Again, I would have no interest in Band 4 (nor would they be interested in me) but it may well be a perfectly viable band for someone into that type of thing.

However, I kinda think that this is missing the point. If any band has to resort to putting out adverts for musicians that they don’t know, then it is a pretty good indication that they are not plugged into the local circuit and do not have the connections with the local good players (or are not good enough to attract the guys who normally get the better gigs). Most good bands recruit from recommendations from a network of established players who all either know each other or know of each other.