Why become a member? ×

Amp suggestion for 2 4ohm cabs? 500 watts+

Bigwan

Purely speculative at this point, but if I wanted to add a second 4 ohm Barefaced retro 2x10, what amps are out there that could handle it? I know I could run the cabs in series for 8 ohms and ANY amp could handle it, but i need real welly here! Talking 500 watts and above.

My fav amp of all time is the pre-EVO Ashdown ABM so top of my list of possibilities is the ABM900. Second favorite amp is the Orange Terror Bass, which I've owned twice, and it could handle the cabs in series for 500 watts at 8 ohms (there's also the rarer 1000 watt version that would do 900 watts at 8ohms).

Can anyone suggest anything else? Budget would be under £400, new or used - I know Thomann still have some Orange TB500s in stock.

[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1456395006' post='2988480']
Purely speculative at this point, but if I wanted to add a second 4 ohm Barefaced retro 2x10, what amps are out there that could handle it? I know I could run the cabs in series for 8 ohms and ANY amp could handle it, but i need real welly here! Talking 500 watts and above.

My fav amp of all time is the pre-EVO Ashdown ABM so top of my list of possibilities is the ABM900. Second favorite amp is the Orange Terror Bass, which I've owned twice, and it could handle the cabs in series for 500 watts at 8 ohms (there's also the rarer 1000 watt version that would do 900 watts at 8ohms).

Can anyone suggest anything else? Budget would be under £400, new or used - I know Thomann still have some Orange TB500s in stock.
[/quote]

Just to clarify, you'll need an amp that goes down to 2ohm if you want to use two 4ohm cabs.

The vast majority of amps out there will only go to 4ohm through 1x4ohm cab or 2x8ohm cabs.

You run the risk of damaging your amp if you hook up two 4ohm cabs when the amp can only handle 4ohms.

[quote name='colgraff' timestamp='1456398212' post='2988518']
It is much more than your budget, but the only amp I have used that runs at 2[font=Calibri][size=3][color=#000000]Ω is a Vanderkley Aurora.[/color][/size][/font]
[/quote]

Err yes, much more than my budget...

[quote name='Sparky Mark' timestamp='1456398872' post='2988528']
Hartke LH1000 will give you a massive bang for your buck and can drive two 4 ohm cabs as long as you can get on with the fender style tone stack EQ.
[/quote]

Good call! One to add to the list!

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1456399742' post='2988533']
The Mesa Boogie D800 and several of the TC amps will go to 2 ohms.
[/quote]

D800 is over budget, TC Blacksmith will do 2 ohms but again over budget.

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1456400958' post='2988547']
Have just re-read and yes, you already know!

Apologies for the condescendingness!
[/quote]

No apology required!

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1456400713' post='2988541']
Don't EBS run to 2 ohm? Then there's Ashdown. Some of their amps are 2x4ohm channels (though keep a fire extinguisher handy).
[/quote]

Also a good call on EBS, but I'd be interested to know if you're speaking from experience with regards Ashdown or just perpetuating a myth? I've had nothing but good experiences with my ABM.

[quote name='Japhet' timestamp='1456401480' post='2988561']
I used to have a Peavey Mk VI head which would run 2 ohms. Built like a tank and as reliable as gravity. For £400 there won't be much to choose from though.
[/quote]

You'd be surprised what £400 can buy you with all the rush to go lightweight! Orange terror and Hartke LH500 can be brand new for less than that. Last ABM900 I saw here was significantly cheaper again.

Peavey is a good call, by the way!

Edited by Bigwan

Could you not run a pre-power configuration i.e a decent preamp followed by a PA-type power amp, particularly one that could drive 4 Ohms per side? You'd then have independent control of the volume of each cab (if that was desirable?)

Alternatively and if you already have a head that can drive 4 Ohms, use the line out or something to run another power amp that can handle 4 Ohms?

Just some thoughts

Ian

http://www.carvinaudio.com/products/b1000

HugeHands from these shores runs this amp with two Retro Two10s and it sounds delightful. I think Bass Gear have them or at least can get them and they are right around your budget :)

Edit - HH also went from an Ashdown Little Giant 1000 to this if that has any bearing :)

Edited by Merton

[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1456401556' post='2988563']
Also a good call on EBS, but I'd be interested to know if you're speaking from experience with regards Ashdown or just perpetuating a myth? I've had nothing but good experiences with my ABM.
[/quote]
Nothing bad to say about the ABM range, it's the Superfly & Little Giant (the stereo amps) that I heard many reports of fire.

I know it's not entirely what you want but you could buy a 12ohm retro two 10 and have your current one converted to 12ohm and run at 6ohm parallel load. You then get the option of a third one (God forbid) if you ever get the urge.

[color=#000000][font=verdana, tahoma, arial, helvetica][size=4]Crown XLS 2000 Digital Class D Amplifier - 2x 650W/4 Ohms, 2x 375W/8 Ohms, 2x 1050W/2 Ohms, 24dB Linkwitz-Riley thomann crossover (top/sub, top/top or sub/sub), 2-channel stereo or mono bridge mode, front display for easy set-up, aluminium housing, 5x status LEDs per channel, XLR, jack and RCA inputs, 2x speakon and binding post connections. Dimensions: 19"/2U. Depth: 27.2cm. Weight: 4.9kg[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=verdana, tahoma, arial, helvetica][size=4]Paste from Thommann price 347.0....(no preamp, of course) ....I've got one - it's good.[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=verdana, tahoma, arial, helvetica][size=4] :)[/size][/font][/color][color=#000000][font=verdana, tahoma, arial, helvetica][size=4] [/size][/font][/color]

I'd second the suggestion to use your existing amp (provided you're happy with it) to drive a PA power amp. Connect to the line out on your amp. Get one that can be bridged and it will drive the additional cab on its own. Cheap, too - I just picked up a Crown XLS 202 for £40 on the Bay. Ample power with 400w bridged into 8 ohms.

Edited by Dan Dare

[quote name='Dan Dare' timestamp='1456409248' post='2988701']
I'd second the suggestion to use your existing amp (provided you're happy with it) to drive a PA power amp. Connect to the line out on your amp. Get one that can be bridged and it will drive the additional cab on its own. Cheap, too - I just picked up a Crown XLS 202 for £40 on the Bay. Ample power with 400w bridged into 8 ohms.
[/quote]

Hadn't really considered a power amp, but at that price I just might!

[quote name='Merton' timestamp='1456403889' post='2988595']
[url="http://www.carvinaudio.com/products/b1000"]http://www.carvinaud.../products/b1000[/url]

HugeHands from these shores runs this amp with two Retro Two10s and it sounds delightful. I think Bass Gear have them or at least can get them and they are right around your budget :)

Edit - HH also went from an Ashdown Little Giant 1000 to this if that has any bearing :)
[/quote]

Hi Bigwan,

I remember we had chats about delivery times when we got our cabs!

I used to run mine one per channel on my Ashdown LG1000. As they were obsolete, I was looking for another one second hand as a backup but couldn't find one.

Merton and Eude of this parish pointed me to the Carvin and I couldn't be happier. I think it was a bit closer to £600 with delivery EDIT: I've just checked and it was £500 with delivery! It has a little switch on the back for selecting 2 or 4 ohm modes if you're like me and sometimes only use one cab.

It is worth noting that Molan from Bass Gear told me they were giving up Carvin distribution when I bought mine, so not sure who is doing it in the UK now.

Edited by Huge Hands

[quote name='Huge Hands' timestamp='1456409452' post='2988708']
Hi Bigwan,

I remember we had chats about delivery times when we got our cabs!

I used to run mine one per channel on my Ashdown LG1000. As they were obsolete, I was looking for another one second hand as a backup but couldn't find one.

Merton and Eude of this parish pointed me to the Carvin and I couldn't be happier. I think it was a bit closer to £600 with delivery EDIT: I've just checked and it was £500 with delivery! It has a little switch on the back for selecting 2 or 4 ohm modes if you're like me and sometimes only use one cab.

It is worth noting that Molan from Bass Gear told me they were giving up Carvin distribution when I bought mine, so not sure who is doing it in the UK now.
[/quote]

I remember our Barefaced chats!

I would doubt I'd go for the Carvin I'm afraid. It may be on a level with anything else out there, but it's a case of better the devil you know. If I could get an Orange TB500/1000 or Ashdown ABM900 for the same (or less) money previous experience tells me I'd be happy with them, so the Carvin wouldn't get a look in!