Why become a member? ×

Working around hand issues

Twincam

Ok so a few times I've mentioned I have a problem in my left (fretting) hand but never went into detail or even thought about asking for specific advice on this till now. And frankly I don't like thinking about it as it wasn't a pleasant time in my life. I also get a little embarrassed.

Anyhow.
A long time ago in another life it almost seems I got a hand and forearm injury, although it had some rehabilitation etc I was left with a hand that had greatly reduced dexterity, strength and my little finger is pretty rubbish.
It's also very susceptible to cramping and tendonitis and often carpal tunnel syndrome sometimes parts of my hand are left with no feeling.
Weight lifting, bass playing and recent intensive stretching has helped a lot but it's still very poor and limited somewhat compared to even your average person.

This often leaves me very frustrated as I have made progress but I still play in a rather clunky fashion and find it almost impossible to use my little finger although I do certain exercises for it incorporated in my warm up its still useless I did hope it would of improved.

Things that help are thinner necks and short scale improves my playing too although sometimes I play better on a P bass as my fingers can trip up on some bass lines.
I find tapewounds really help too.

With my recent thread about quitting I got some advice and encouragement (thank you) which has made me want to really try that bit harder.
So I'm wondering what else can I do to work around my hand issues and ultimately get better. Would it be worth looking for someone that gives lessons and explain the issues and get some help that way? I've always been a bit afraid of going and being told I will never play to a certain level and it would upset me and actually mentally be not so good for me.
I know there are lots of musicians with injuries or are disabled who have managed and sound great even developing new styles of playing.

You may find some useful information here ;
http://www.talkbass.com/threads/health-related-issues-to-playing.593009/

The poster Fergie Fulton received serious hand injuries a long time ago and recovered as well as is possible under the circumstances. Perhaps you could post a similar thread on "Talkbass" under "Technique", and hopefully Fergie will respond. He is very generous with his time in offering advice, and as he has been there and come out the far end relatively well, IMO his advice is worth seeking out.

I recommend seeing a physiotherapist. I am currently doing so as part my rehabilition after a bike accident that left me with a broken foot, and more relevantly, a badly broken right wrist. After nearly 2 months in a plaster cast, and with two metal plates and a whole load of screws holding it together, I thought it would be some time before I would play again, but with my physio's help and encouragement, I was soon playing along to recordings of my band, and last Thursday, we had our first rehearsal since November. I was able to play 12 songs, and everything sounded as it always has.

How different that would have been had it been my left hand, I cannot say, but to me, my right hand is the more important and harder working one when playing bass, as I play finger style so it is responsible for all the rythmic content.

If it is only the left hand that you have problems with, and you can still use your plucking fingers, have you tried a left handed bass. I had to do it as I have no movement in my little finger. It was difficult at first, but the best thing I did in terms of bass playing

To the OP

I've got pins 'n' plates in my left hand also and I find that the slimmer/thinner necks of the Yamaha and Ibanez basses help somewhat.

I also find that your choice of songs will help. I tend to go for the tunes where I can play mid way up the fingerboard to reduce any stretching wherever possible. No point in trying to learn tunes that force you beyond what your wrist is comfortable with.

Hope you find what you are looking for - and have fun doing it!

Edited by DavidMcKay

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1455974640' post='2984122']
What's the action like on your bass ?
[/quote]

Lowish 2.4 - 2.0 mm any lower and i sound like crap, higher I actually sound better as muting is easier and i get less noise, but its harder work for my fingers.

Thanks for the advice I shall look into things and possibly see about getting someone to actually look at my playing.

Doctors and physio wont help my hand much if at all anymore, basically its as good as it will get. Bass playing and as said weights has helped even more. I'm hoping that of course I will improve its slow going though.
I mentioned in my quitting thread my gf whom I'm teaching is already able to match me on some tunes and can play ones I can't she has been playing less than a year, ive been learning for nearly three, and she puts in a lot less time than me.

I shall post on talkbass too see I I can talk to this fergie guy

A friend of mine's wife teaches the Alexander technique. It may be worth contacting them and finding out the details of your local teacher and see if they can hep at all ?

[url="http://www.yourhealthwellnesscentre.com/portfolio-item/the-alexander-technique-and-injury/"]http://www.yourhealthwellnesscentre.com/portfolio-item/the-alexander-technique-and-injury/[/url]

[quote name='timmo' timestamp='1455983964' post='2984279']
If it is only the left hand that you have problems with, and you can still use your plucking fingers, have you tried a left handed bass. I had to do it as I have no movement in my little finger. It was difficult at first, but the best thing I did in terms of bass playing
[/quote]
This was my first thought. And maybe use a pick too?

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1456010078' post='2984574']
I'd echo the advice for a good physiotherapist - mine pretty much saved my playing career.
[/quote]

Been told I'm probably as far as physio can take me and that actually playing an instrument will be of more benefit. Was told this long before I actually started learning an instrument. And indeed playing bass has significantly improved things. I'm sure if I had some ways of getting around some of the techniques I struggle with it would improve my playing. So I shall be looking into incorporating them.

When I was 22 I had a car accident and broke the scaphoid and trapezium bones (base of the thumb) in my left hand. It healed OK but left my thumb with little strength or movement. Good news and bad news. Good news is most mobility/dexterity and strength problems can be sorted with exercise. Bad news is there's no short cut. You can adapt your technique a bit - my thumb isn't perfectly behind my 2nd finger when playing double bass, which has meant my 2nd and 4th finger have to be stronger. As mentioned, lessons may reveal some tweaks you can make, and give you some exercises to help?

Don't give up, it will come!

Lessons will be worthwhile- you may be doing something that makes it hard on yourself, plus it will give some focus to your practice.

Also, the action on your bass- it may be worth the short term hit of sounding a bit crap whilst you get used to it in return for the long term gain of progress. Not all benefits are immediate, unfortunately.

It might seem somewhat counterintuitive but have you considered a narrow-necked 5-string or stringing a 4-string BEAD? You can shift your fretting hand up 5 frets that way, reducing stretch and possibly putting it in a more relaxed position.

Sorry to read about your struggles , i have some appreciation here as ive had surgeries and osteotomies on bones in my right hand, leaving me with some noticable degree of weakness and a lack of control at extension.

Occupational therapy helped... Hand/ finger putty and also a spring loaded finger exersizer which you can adjust tension.
Like this one

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Adjustable-Copper-5-finger-Exerciser-Hand-Finger-Trainer-for-Guitar-Piano-Bass-/400910208675?nav=SEARCH

Also....just read your other post ...wanted to add more to the above.

Personally, im hit 3 ways. Right hand has had multiple surgeries, bits of bone removed, pinned, and a hinge instead of a knuckle on my pinky. Left arm snapped radius and ulna, both plated and affects rotation which can be problematic when moving up the neck. 3rdly, i am ruined with arthrits, an auto immune disease which floods my body with inflammation causing bone/ joint fusion and mist worse of all chronic fatigue.

In short, its not easy.
I had a spell away from playing for a while but came back when i felt ready. I certainly cannot rip up and down like i used to or maintain parts that require stamina.... So what did i do ? I slowed down. I lustened to the music more and leaned toward the solid end of the spectrum. I can still groove for sure, but i have no desire to slap like a frantic maniac anymore.
I changed the style i play,the music i listen to and the band i play with. Slower,not any the less skilled, but definaitely more sedate.
The band plays a sound similar to squeeze i guess so a broad spectrum but i can choose weather i go melodic and walking or just keep things simple with the roots....

Dont give up, try a different style.
Ive played many styles over the years and to be fair i dont care what im playing as long as im playing :)

Be positive, dont force it, find something you like which is less demanding to play along to....
Good luck with it buddy.