Why become a member? ×

Some love for Isis

Graham

Not that Isis, this Isis, and specifically their bassist Jeff Caxide

http://youtu.be/DWLNYjE9_Vw

Great feel, groove and tone and I particularly love the use of delay from about 5:40ish

This is a cracker too from the following album

http://youtu.be/hzy1rEyHtbE

[quote name='Doctor J' timestamp='1454449613' post='2969941']
I do love them but I may leave the old t-shirt at home for a while, had a few people come up to the stage to take photos of it during the last gig I played wearing it :lol:
[/quote]

:lol:

The name thing is a bugger, but sod it, I love this band

Hm.
DIsappointed with this thread.
I seriously thought it was about something more serious than music.

[url="http://s1170.photobucket.com/user/basstractor1/media/Isis_zps33ewclck.jpg.html"][/url]

BTW, reportedly this Danish brand recently decided to change their name.
My guess thus is Daesh.

"[b][i]Daesh - - DA Eshcream[/i][/b]!"

But anyway, Isis were very nice indeed. Thanks for posting this!
Shamefully I must admit I'd almost forgotten them, and I do tend to like Ipecac-related music.

Edited by BassTractor

[quote name='Skybone' timestamp='1454452006' post='2969968']
The first few albums were superb, but then they went a bit too artsy-fartsy-soundscapey-mallarkey for my liking.

The bass sound on Celestial was utterly superb.
[/quote]

Yeah, I never really got on with Wavering Radiant; I really liked In The Absence Of Truth though and the first three records are just gold

[quote name='DavidMcKay' timestamp='1454451162' post='2969958']
Aye - a bit unfortunate.

I often think back to the poor bugger that named the Aids slimming biscuit just as AIDS hit in the 80's. I'll wager he never recovered from that.
[/quote]

Especially unfortunate to be promoting a slimming product while images of people wasting away due to AIDS-releated diseases abounded :(

I think it was around that time that Lucuzade dropped the "Lucozade, aids recovery" line!

[quote name='ras52' timestamp='1454504550' post='2970291']
Especially unfortunate to be promoting a slimming product while images of people wasting away due to AIDS-releated diseases abounded :(

I think it was around that time that Lucuzade dropped the "Lucozade, aids recovery" line!
[/quote]

I run a training course on occasions, not done it for a couple of years, did it yesterday and I come to the Lost Profits Opportunity slide...I thought I really ought to reword that one!

[quote name='Roger2611' timestamp='1454525050' post='2970544']
I run a training course on occasions, not done it for a couple of years, did it yesterday and I come to the Lost Profits Opportunity slide...I thought I really ought to reword that one!
[/quote]

Reminded me of the juxtaposition of fresh cucumbers at Tesco under the sign Perfect For Valentines!

• 3 years later...
On 02/02/2016 at 23:26, Skybone said:

The first few albums were superb, but then they went a bit too artsy-fartsy-soundscapey-mallarkey for my liking.

The bass sound on Celestial was utterly superb.

The first EPs are sooooo much better than any album after Celestial, IMO

28 minutes ago, oZZma said:

The first EPs are sooooo much better than any album after Celestial, IMO

I put it down to being "victims of their own success". They and Neurosis were the leaders of the genre (Neurosis pre-dated them by a long shot, and still far better than any other), but then spawned a whole load of "copyists", which frankly became very boring, very quickly.

Up to Panopticon, they were good, but after that, they seemed to run out of anything new to say for me.

Great musicians.

Played some to a prog-rock loving relative, who loved the music, but hated the vocals. "Just think of them as a Punk Rock Prog Rock, where the voice is another instrument" says I. He got them after that.

Edited by Skybone

I only became a fan in the six months before the split. 

I stupidly did not go to the Isis Aereogramme tour when they played Glasgow which is one of the few gigs I really regret not going to. 

In the Absence of Truth is my personal favourite album even though I will accept that it is generally seen as one of the weaker albums, even by members of the band. Yes it is in the arty-farty period, but I absolutely love the drum sound on that the album. 

Oceanic and Panopticon are classics. Celestial is great. Wavering Radiant is a bit tame but has a couple of great tracks. 

We had a quiz at work and one of the teams called themselves quizlamic state. We all thought it was brilliant, but the manager gave them a warning as the place was supposed to be equal to all and taking the pee out of terrorist groups is  not allowed apparently 😔

Edited by ubit

58 minutes ago, Skybone said:

I put it down to being "victims of their own success". They and Neurosis were the leaders of the genre (Neurosis pre-dated them by a long shot, and still far better than any other), but then spawned a whole load of "copyists", which frankly became very boring, very quickly.

Sadly, any genre that gets a huge hype for a period will generate a bandwagon of dull, insignificant copyists.

4 hours ago, Barking Spiders said:

Not sure why anyone should be worried about the word 'Isis'. After all it's the name of a goddess in Egyptian myth and another name for The Thames. 'ISIS', on the other hand!

Unfortunately, they tended to write it ISIS, when they got back together for a show last year, they went out under the name Celestial