Why become a member? ×

Our drummer on about quitting the band

kevvo66

Well he's had enough if he goes I'm going to ,I love working with him we seem too lock in really well and I don't think I want to work with anyone else , so when our gigs are honoured he gonna hang up his sticks and I think I'll just noodle at home or should I move on ?

Don't just give up! you may never have the same thing going on with another drummer but who
knows? You might find something better or just something unexpected and great in it's own right.

At least give it a chance before you call time on it :)

Edited by Subbeh

If you enjoy it, at least give it some timw with the new guy. It might be worth talking to the current guy, see if a break would suffice. Find out what's eating at him and see if something can be done to take away some of it. As Kate Bush advised Peter Gabriel, "Don't give up"

I don't understand why people don't talk more. You say [b]if[/b] he goes. I'm assuming the rest of the band either aren't in on this or are unwilling to change to keep him happy. If you both leave there is no band, unless you have a queue of other musicians just waiting to sign up. Is it a music thing, a personality clash or just boredom? I'd certainly be thinking of at least talking it through with the rest of the band.

Secondly you don't seem to know if he wants to go on playing with you. A decent rhythm section could be snapped up by another band or form the basis of a new band where the two of you could set it up to give you the things you are missing. I'd invite him out for a session at the pub to at least explore the possibilities.

Finally there's my wife's advice, 'don't put out your dirty underwear until you know you have clean' I'd be absolutely sure what I was going to do next before quitting a band. You might find the new drummer better or worse but it gives you time to find another band if you continue, and them time to bed the new drummer in before you move on.

Good luck though

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1454403420' post='2969295']
I`d say wait until the replacement joins before making any decisions. Who knows, they may be even better and it may give you a new enthusiasm for the band as a whole.
[/quote]

Agreed. There are loads of drummers out there which you havent played with yet, who may blow your socks off!
However, if your band is in its final throws anyway,then you know what do do.

[quote name='Hobbayne' timestamp='1454404756' post='2969311']
Agreed. There are loads of drummers out there which you havent played with yet, who may blow your socks off!
However, if your band is in its final throws anyway,then you know what do do.
[/quote]

Also agreed - I say this as part of a band that's now had to change its lead singer twice. Each time we have managed to find someone who's actually enhanced our stage presence. Obviously we hope the current one won't leave, (because you never know when your luck's going to run out!) but it's proven to us that losing a band member isn't the end of the world.

Move on if you have the enrgy. There is always someone better and playing with a lot of drummers refines what you like and expect
from a drummer.

If you play with one who excels at Blues, for example, they can teach you a LOT about that genre.
The trick is not to be as pidgeon-holed tho, IMV.