Why become a member? ×

Jess Glynn restored my faith in music in the charts.

bubinga5

Im forced to listen Radio 1 at work. There is a lot of sh*te. Maybe I'm getting old , but there are some gems, I couldn't be any more bored of Adele. if i hear another Adele record at work I'm going to do something very bad to the radio.. if they don't play Jess Glynn 2000 times a day i don't mind. Her voice for me is fantastic. For my ears she has a way better mature powerful voice than Adele.

I really don't like the way people make a video of someone singing quite a powerful lyrical part, but in the vid there mouth looks like they are just talking. ? apart from that what a voice. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ebfSItB0oM

Spot on bubinga....

Personally never heard of her and dont follow or listen to any chart musiac at all.....
But seen he with her band on jools new yeras eve show. My attention was grabbed immedialty and dispite the trackes they did having no bass player, i ached to be there playing with them.
A fantistic groove, top draw musicians too.

Spent the next few days watching vids, listening to tracks.....
I dont think ill be dashing out to buy any albums but it did completely have my full attention and git 10/10 on every aspect.

Faith restored.

Embrace her Vibrato. its her natural voice. Imo she has great power and control. everything i love about a great voice, That and tone. Is why i love Donny Hathawayso much. you like or you don't like that singing style i guess.

i can hear what your saying, but tis a very small part of a great sum. would you complain if she was singing for your band.?

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1454261600' post='2967971']
Embrace her Vibrato. its her natural voice. Imo she has great power and control. everything i love about a great voice, That and tone. Is why i love Donny Hathawayso much. you like or you don't like that singing style i guess.

i can hear what your saying, but tis a very small part of a great sum. would you complain if she was singing for your band.?
[/quote]

I love Donny Hathaway, but none of his vocal tracks sound like they were recorded while he was standing on a washing machine on a spin cycle.

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1454264071' post='2968020']
Ha ha.!! Excellent.
[/quote]

:)

Seriously, she's clearly a great singer, but to my ears the vibrato just sounds forced. I can't help thinking how great it would be if she sang it straight(er).

But then, she's successful and famous, and I'm not. My opinion sucks. :lol:

Must just be me then, I find Jess Glynn's vocals to be nasal & mumbled, apart from when she "opens up" for the chorus, when she gets "shouty".

Adele's a bit better, at least she's not singing through her nose.

Just my opinion of course, not that I'm any judge.

Edited by Skybone

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1454264396' post='2968029']
no vibrato. Straight up beautiful voice and tone, her harmonies are just great . She reminds me of Karen Carpenter. [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvYUfwMBCrU[/media]
[/quote] Karen Carpenter , now that is a voice, not the overbaked vocal masturbation of some of todays singers, no-one in today's music even comes close

Edited by markdavid

all these female singers remind me of X factor contestants, overproduced computerised blandness, where's the balls? or maybe all x factor wannabees sound like today's singers, or maybe all the best songs really have been written, or maybe I'm just too bloody old

Jess played at the pub I live two doors down from, AKA in Banbury, about 18 months ago, just before she broke through. She was excellent. Her song Hold My Hand is pure pop gold I reckon. AKA also had The 1975 on just before they hit big too, I'm lucky to have such a bar right on my doorstep!

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1454264245' post='2968025']
:)

Seriously, she's clearly a great singer, but to my ears the vibrato just sounds forced. I can't help thinking how great it would be if she sang it straight(er).

[/quote]

That's my view on most of the current crop of vocalists. I've always felt that excessive vibrato, whilst a sign of having mastered a specific technique and on that basis often taken as a sign of musical talent, simply covers up a lack of core tone. OK it's a widely used method for sure, and has real benefits in smoothing things over in choral singing and orchestral/ensemble playing, but I'll take a voice (or a fiddle or fretless bass) without vibrato over the same with vibrato any day.

[quote name='Skybone' timestamp='1454317934' post='2968422']
Must just be me then, I find Jess Glynn's vocals to be nasal & mumbled, apart from when she "opens up" for the chorus, when she gets "shouty".

Adele's a bit better, at least she's not singing through her nose.

Just my opinion of course, not that I'm any judge.
[/quote]
Ahh yes ,nasal and shouty, that perfectly sums up my feelings on Jess Glynn, no offense to anyone who enjoys her music just my opinion