Why become a member? ×

Your dream bass

EccentricRichard

[quote name='lowdown' post='286172' date='Sep 17 2008, 07:31 PM']Had my dream Bass made for me a couple of years ago. [ see my pic to the left.. :)

I wanted a single cut...
with ebony board and profile of the Marcus Miller 5..got that.
Agi 3 band pre-amp...got that.
Through body Badass...got that.
Something that sounded Musicman, and in single coil mode Jazz bass like...got that.
Funny thing is that it has a massive out put..so i tend to use it in Passive mode.

Had no more Gas since i got this...
So one happy Bunny... :huh:

Garry[/quote]

What is the advantage of the single cut? Balance? Tone? Cosmetic? Other?

[quote name='jonthebass' post='286482' date='Sep 18 2008, 10:25 AM']Mine would be a high end replica of the Sid Vicious P bass.
Nice lightweight body wood, dark rosewood fingerboard, nitro finish, TV logo & a cracking P p'up! :wub:[/quote]

Cracking P p'up? That's an oxymoron, like 'military intelligence', or 'Microsoft Works' - the pickup is what makes the P so awful.

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='286782' date='Sep 18 2008, 06:43 PM']I'd be happy if I had one just like this lucky bloke's bass:

1966 mustang with original daphne blue finish with pearl guard and lollypop tuners.

or maybe a modern CIJ one in california blue an aged pearl guard instead of the bright stock one. Also in my dreams hipshot will make a set of mustang tuners with lollypop paddles and a D-tuner.[/quote]

Eurgh. That sounds HORRIBLE. Can't understand why anyone would want to make a bass out of any Fender guitar - except maybe the Jazzmaster.

[quote name='johnnylager' post='286407' date='Sep 18 2008, 08:07 AM'][url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=25843&hl=gabbie"]Wow.[/url] Nuff said.[/quote]
[quote name='EccentricRichard' post='287302' date='Sep 19 2008, 02:11 PM']Wow to what?[/quote]
I suspect it's Wow to the GB bass you'll find if you click on the 'Wow'.

[quote name='EccentricRichard' post='287301' date='Sep 19 2008, 02:10 PM']the pickup is what makes the P so awful.[/quote]

Funny that..
Wonder why so many top of the game producers over the years
have taken a different approach to you..
And sound engineers come to think of it..... :)

Not that i am a P bass lover myself.
But awful is not a word that exists in the world of Rock & Roll and pop... :huh:

Garry

Edited by lowdown

[quote name='Annoying Twit' post='287089' date='Sep 19 2008, 09:53 AM']What is the advantage of the single cut? Balance? Tone? Cosmetic? Other?[/quote]

Not sure there is an advantage...[ some Techy Bassists might have another opion ]
For me it was more cosmetic.
Although mine does balance very well.

Garry

Edited by lowdown

[quote]Well, I saw this and wondered...

Reduced: 69% of original size [ 732 x 478 ] - Click to view full image
Reduced: 91% of original size [ 560 x 375 ] - Click to view full image

...how do I get hold of one of those?

It's on the way!

It's a Lakland Darryl Jones with Adam Clayton mods and some of my own btw.

This post has been edited by Sean: Yesterday, 11:14 PM

--------------------

Lakland/Markbass/Bergantino
Amy & the Aviators - Fabulous Function Band[/quote]

I don't know why he didn't just buy a Squier VMJ, he would have saved himself some money and could have bought Dave a new hat.

[quote name='budget bassist' post='286697' date='Sep 18 2008, 04:17 PM']Wow! That looks really nice! For reasons i don't quite understand, i'm VERY attracted to that bass![/quote]

I haven't a clue where that photo came from. I've had it for years and years. I just saw it and thought, wooo, gotta save that.
P

[quote name='lowdown' post='287545' date='Sep 19 2008, 06:14 PM']Funny that..
Wonder why so many top of the game producers over the years
have taken a different approach to you..
And sound engineers come to think of it..... :)

Not that i am a P bass lover myself.
But awful is not a word that exists in the world of Rock & Roll and pop... :huh:

Garry[/quote]

Gimme a Rickenbacker or a Thunderbird any day over most Ps. Though, having recently got the Kyuss album Blues for the Red Sun, Nick Oliveri's P sounds awesome on that - but most Ps sound really rubbish to me. And the J is plain gutless.

I’ve owned a large number of bases over the years, and from time to time wonder why I sold certain ones - Aria Pro II SB900, Yamaha BB3000AF, 80s Fender Precision Special, Wal Pro IIE, G&L El Toro. But the one that’s survived from '92 to this day is an Atlansia Stealth – the neck is wonderfully slim and fast, and the ovalised cross-section makes it extremely comfortable to play, as does the conical curvature of the touchboard. And the bridge is a work of art – with all that mass adding to this bass’s ability to deliver endless sustain.

I’d still like to get my hands on another SB900 though - or an SB1000 - or an Akai Pro 1997. Just need to wait until I go back to Japan, I suppose.

[font="Tahoma"]Although I'm very happy with my main bass, I have been thinking what I would want if I went down the custom route.

It would be a Les Paul shape but slightly smaller with a pencil thin neck modelled on my Performer. Probably a pair of humbucking barts. The colour would be trans-blue, with the grain making a subtle tiger stripe.

I think I'll give this a bit more thought. I can feel an invitation to tender coming on![/font]

I have a few which I would put under the dream bass category.

First love has always been Warwick Streamer Stage I 5 string, which thanks to a friend of mine who I am sure used to post on here, I am pretty much now the owner. And an absolute beauty it is as well - 2007 nirvana black oil.

Secondly, I have a bass on the way from Jon Shuker. 5 string thru neck, white ash body, maple neck, serpentwood fretboard, asian striped ebony top, delano bucker and jazz pups, shuker circuit, blue side led's.....YUMMY!

After that, I would kill for another blackburst Sandberg California JM4, a teal and a blueburst stingray with birdseye maple board and a Sei Original 5.

So 2 down, 3 to go :)

[quote name='EccentricRichard' post='288488' date='Sep 21 2008, 12:45 PM']Not being rude, merely making objective criticism...[/quote]

"Cracking P p'up? That's an oxymoron, like 'military intelligence', or 'Microsoft Works' - the pickup is what makes the P so awful"

I think you'll find that is a [i]subjective [/i]criticism .....

I have been fortunate that each new bass I've owned has been an improvement on the last. Based on that experience I'm sure that I'll find a bass which will better my current Warwick Thumb BO 4. Not that I'm in any way disappointed with my current Warwick and feel that it reflects everything that I think a bass should be.

I'm currently GASing for a Thumb NT 6. I also played a headless Sei Original 4 at The Gallery which has been giving me sleepless nights.

For a long while I've considered the Thumb 6 as the last bass I would buy and be happy for it to be my only instrument, so that would have to be my dream bass.