Why become a member? ×

Suggestions for rock-rock/blues amp+cab

aleio82

Hi guys, need your help. I sold some months ago my old amp system and now I am thinking to buy a new one; problem is that in shops around here there is not much choice for tests.

As written I mostly play classic rock and rock blues (srv and similars), what would you suggest for head and cab? Which setup? 4x10? 2x12?

Before I had an ABM 500 EVO III with an ABM 414H 4 ohm which was not bad.

Just for information: thumbs up for ashdown, ampeg, hartke. Thumbs down for mark bass, tc etc.

Many thanks in advance!

I used my Fender Rumble100 12" combo in a rhythm and blues band and, with judicious use of the gain control and a P bass, I got a really nice vintage smooth tone.

Dead round rounds helped to eliminate the zing that I didn't want and cutting the bass control helped to keep the ultra-low frequencies from invading everything.

Looks the part too!

Adding to warm/defined amps I`d put in Aguilar Tonehammers and Fender Rumbles. Very nice warm, old-school type sounds from these.

Cab-wise a good 212 should be enough for most venues, Berg CN212, Barefaced, TKS, all get good reviews.

[quote name='Merton' timestamp='1453023498' post='2955510']
Don't scrub Hartke from the list just yet - the LH500 is a monster and could be well worth a look :)
[/quote]

+1. I think Dave Ellefson does ok with them...
Edit and Nate Watts 😊

Edited by IanA

[quote name='aleio82' timestamp='1453030150' post='2955641']
Aguilar I tried once but I found it not so warm, am I wrong?
[/quote]

Depends which one - their AG amps are meant to be a lot clearer/hi-fi, whereas the Tonehammer is as warm as a non-tube amp as is possible, in both mine and many others opinion - check out Talkbass for their threads on it.

[quote name='aleio82' timestamp='1453030150' post='2955641']
Aguilar I tried once but I found it not so warm, am I wrong?
[/quote]

I wouldn't call them 'warm'... but I would say they are as warm as you need to get
without blatting your tone.

And another shout for TKS 112's which I'd pair with a TH500 or Ampeg PF500.

You seem to have discounted Mark Bass for unspecified reasons, but FWIW I play blues/rock with a LM3 and it works very well.

It's not as coloured as some heads, but one thing worth considering is it's easy to add a pedal if you need more grit/warmth/colouration, but it's generally hard to remove if you get a heavily voiced amp with that tone built in.