Why become a member? ×

How much swapping of basses goes on here?

Annoying Twit

I've sold two basses and bought my entire rig all on this site, and I haven't had a single problem with any of the deals. Those members that I've met in person have been top blokes, and I'm pretty sure that those I only spoke to via email were as well.

In other words: Basschat 1, eBay nil.

One of the great things about buying/trading basses on here is that you often have a good idea of the history of the bass.

My Fender Jazz started off in a shop in Sunderland (after being traded in with a Stingray), got sold to a BCer (forget the name) who retrofitted a finger rest and custom scratchplate, then got sold to niceguyhomer in Preston who retrofitted Fender 60's Custom Shop pups and now sold to me.

With the amount of estabilished members here it gives confidence that you're not just buying from anyone.

Also as mentioned it's nice knowing the history of what you are getting. Eg. my SR5 used to belong to OBBM, who took it to the States for some recording which I thought was pretty cool :huh: then it ended up with Silverfoxnik's friend who then sold it to me at a great price.

Just wish I'd discovered this place before I'd ordered my "mint condition" Thumb from America, will never know what the idiot did to the original nut. :)

i've had a few things from basschatters

I bought a SUB bass body and some pickups and bits from alemboid

I bought a G&L tribute L-2000 from stingrayfan

I bought some bartolini pickups from someone on here (sorry, i can't remember your name)

I bought an olp neck, pickup, tuners and control plate off ebay but they turned out to belong to kevbass, a member on here!

I sold a fender replacement neck to luke FRC

It's pretty handy this place, and a lot of the members are likely to give you top deals on stuff, all the stuff i bought was great!

[quote name='Merton' post='284832' date='Sep 16 2008, 10:54 AM']I own a Groove 5 previously owned by Wigfinder General (RIP) and soon to be owned by silverfoxnik.[/quote]

Nik you're a bad bad man!! You said you were over GAS :huh:

I have bought my last two basses through the for sale forum. Particularly if you are buying from an established member - which is not to [i]diss[/i] someone who first finds BC to try to sell something as I did myself, but merely that it would tend to suggest that any problems will hopefully be resolved amicably - then I think you could be happier to make a journey to buy something or perhaps buy & get it shipped than you might be on eBay.

The first of the two basses had previously been owned by two other forum members at least and was moved on to another. Nothing wrong with it, but GAS got a grip and it had to make way for the next one.

GAS is now fairly well in check :)

I've bought basses from Geddys nose,Stingrayfan,BB2000 and Eubassix. Sold basses to OutToPlayJazz,DLloyd and The beat. and I've traded basses with owen(twice),Tonyf,Eubassix and Wavydavy.

The natural SpectorEuro I traded with owen and then I got back after 3 months has also been in the hands of 4 other basschatters as far as I can tell making 6. is there a bass with more BC owners?

if you remember it being your property then add your name to the list :)

[quote name='dub_junkie' post='286381' date='Sep 18 2008, 01:45 AM']The natural SpectorEuro I traded with owen and then I got back after 3 months has also been in the hands of 4 other basschatters as far as I can tell making 6. is there a bass with more BC owners?

if you remember it being your property then add your name to the list :)[/quote]
Was that owned by Homerplaysbass originally? That bass is a little cracker.

Proportionally I guess I haven't bought a lot through Basschat. I've bought two Celinder basses from Flanker, another bass recently from someone else that I promised I wouldn't discuss :huh:, my Trace V8 head (TonyF) and my EBS Neo212 cab (loudnclear) came from Basschat. The Pedulla Pentabuzz off ebay from Vmaxblues who turned out to be a BC'er anyway. My Smiths both came directly from US retailers as NOS and my Genz benz was a rare new purchase c/- Bass Direct via Basschat. Most of my other kit came from Ebay with a couple of items from Talkbass (MM Cutlass 1) and the Alembic forum (Alembic Series 1 graphite).

However, there's some pretty awesome kit that comes up here occasionally. I'm still looking for a EBS neo 210 cab *sigh*

Its even been known for some Basschatters to swap instruments temporarily just to try stuff out for kicks.

[quote name='Thunderthumbs' post='285478' date='Sep 16 2008, 11:28 PM']The one I bought from "yesikris" has now been passed on to "Rasta" as part of a three way bass swap between him, myself and "Machines".[/quote]

Yes, was a perfect 3 way swap as i was after a Jazz style 5 string. Machines was after a funky 5 string and Thunderthumbs was after a Stingray....so the story unfolded:
I had a Lakland 5502 which i was able to drop off to Machines in the midlands as i had a gig there, damn fortunate as i live pretty close to the equator here in Devon (bloody rains more though). Anyhow i picked up the Stingray which i tried out briefly for a bit of reminiscence of my Stingray i owned many years ago - great sound indeed. Machines was a super dooper guy and initiated to the world of Lakalnd and i felt the 5502 went to a good home where it will get the groove treatment it deserves, it is a funk machine the 5502.
I too funked out with my old band legendary funk band 'Booyaka' www.myspace.com/booyakafunk that weekend with the Stingray and had a funky good time, albeit copious amounts of hedonism and a gig in between!
Alas i return to my southwest abode where Manchester based Thunderthumbs is taking a holiday in Newquay...damn fortunate again! He visited me in Devon to bring the lovely Lakalnd Joe Osbourne 5 string to swap for Machines old Stingray. The three way swap was complete! That night i spank away my fingers on the JO5 and yes it was total instant love, i'd say the best Jazz bass i have ever played actually......its true!....so there we have it the tale of the 3 way swap of 3 of the finest basserteers....all happy with their new swaps and a feeling that bass players trust is somewhat similar to the bonding of true Jedi's. :)

yes CK it's the very one and its general all round loveliness is the reason I'm looking to move the green Euro 5 on

edit: and reading about the pedulla you got from v max blues I also sold a teal SUB bass to him via ebay just before I joined these boards.

Edited by dub_junkie

[quote name='deaver' post='286318' date='Sep 17 2008, 11:12 PM']To be honest I wouldn't buy from anywhere else now. The standard of the gear and the integrity of the deals I've been involved in have been outstanding. I wouldn't even bother buying something brand new because the broken in basses on here are better.[/quote]
Same here, i just don't buy new basses! I can't afford it, and for the money i'd lose from buying a new bass i'd rather have have something used that i know has been looked after and i can get most/all of the money back if i need to, perfect :)

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='286704' date='Sep 18 2008, 04:22 PM']The only reason i normally buy new is so i can use my credit card. Ive lost a lot of bargains on BC due to this way of working.[/quote]

Plenty of people on here accept Paypal and this be charged against your credit card

P

I bought a Bongo on here.
swapped a MIM jazz for a 5hh olp
bought my ray on here
bought my cables on here
bought my flea bass on here
bougth the magority of bits i made my fretless P bass on here
pedals, more amps, etc etc.

Its the only place I truely trust online. The only place ive gave 700 + 800 by internet banking and expected something thru the post. I wouldnt do that on any other site.

[quote name='Annoying Twit' post='287086' date='Sep 19 2008, 09:51 AM']Has this sort of thing ever happened:

Person A buys bass X. Person B sees that purchase and thinks "interesting". Significant time passes. Person A posts that they're now thinking of upgrading to bass Y. Person B asks "what are you thinking of doing to bass X?"[/quote]
:) Every day I'd imagine!

• 2 weeks later...