Why become a member? ×

still GASsing for a Jazz

chickenjames

I'm still struggling here chaps. Looking for a classic smooth thing to complement my EBMM Stingray 4H, which I love but sometimes is just a bit too in-your-face. So I'm looking for something mellow, and the obvious thing seems to be to go for a J of some sort.
Budget, well, something up to about £600 ukp.
I'd like something that would be a classic, keeper and with a bit of atmosphere about it.

Last time I asked for ideas on a Jazz I got a strong recommendation towards the Marcus Miller by Sire.
I'm a little nervous of ordering without trying and I'm slightly put off by them being active - but tell me I'm wrong. If I went this way is it better to get ash or alder?

Other options - please comment!

Local shop has a new MIM 70s Jazz at £540

there's the obvious option of a new MIM Jazz std at about £600

and then the more interesting options...
bassdirect has a few 90s MIJ or CIJ at around £650. I'm sentimentally attracted to these as my first guitar is a 1990 Fujigen Strat.

The US std Jazzes are nice but just a bit too rich for me. Last time I tried them I found that there was about a 1 in 3 happy rate i.e. most of them just didn't work for me.

What would you do?

I'd echo the Sire recommendation. It's the best money I've ever spent on a bass - and I've spent A LOT. Jazz-wise I've owned a Lakland Skyline Joe Osborne and a Fender Roadworn and, in my opinion, the Sire is more than a match for either of them, and neither of them were slouches!

Mine is an Alder/Rosewood 5. I never use it active and when all the controls eventually start to bug me I'll find a passive control plate.

I hadn't played one before ordering but have no regrets at all. I went with Alder from previous experience and because I'm not a huge fan of maple boards. I would say that the Alder/Rosewood combo can growl pretty nicely if required.

Waiting patiently for a Sire P bass...

Edited by Bigwan

[quote name='Rumble' timestamp='1451595738' post='2941805']
I've been impressed by some of the reviews of the sire v7's on YouTube, but can anyone confirm if the B string is any good on the 5's?
[/quote]

I can, and it is...

I'd agree with a 1 in 3 hit rate on the American Standard Fenders - maybe even 1 in 4 or 5. When you do find a good one though, they're really, really great. For your budget you could wait and get a US Standard from someone on here. While pretty rare, they do occasionally come up and sell at your kind of budget.

Plus if you go second hand and you got bored with whatever you bought and wanted to sell it, you'd more or less get your money back.

This has to be my favourite Jazz bass tone.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hsum9ortSFc"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hsum9ortSFc[/url]

I remember having this track on repeat for days when I first heard it.

I think jazz basses are an instrument that really bring out an individual's personal sound.

thanks guys. I'm very tempted by the Sire MM V7, seems almost too good to be true.
Seems like the only way to get them in the UK is from Thomann, is that right?
They all seem to be out of stock at the moment - should I be worried?
Any comments on ash vs alder, maple vs RW?
I'm thinking that I should go for alder & RW as I'm looking to be mellow.
Any comments on how it's likely to be setup? I don't like buying without trying but I guess there's no choice here.
Anyone tried putting flats on one? I have flats (d'Addario chromes) on my 'Ray and I guess I'd want the same on the Jazz.

Edited by chickenjames

[quote name='chickenjames' timestamp='1451684014' post='2942522']
thanks guys. I'm very tempted by the Sire MM V7, seems almost too good to be true.
Seems like the only way to get them in the UK is from Thomann, is that right?
They all seem to be out of stock at the moment - should I be worried?
Any comments on ash vs alder, maple vs RW?
I'm thinking that I should go for alder & RW as I'm looking to be mellow.
Any comments on how it's likely to be setup? I don't like buying without trying but I guess there's no choice here.
Anyone tried putting flats on one? I have flats (d'Addario chromes) on my 'Ray and I guess I'd want the same on the Jazz.
[/quote]

"too good to be true"
Exactly what I thought, but it's not!

"Only available from ThomannThomann... - should I be worried?"
They sell like hot cakes! Only reason to be worried is that you miss out on the next Thomann shipment.

"Any comments on ash vs alder, maple vs RW?
I'm thinking that I should go for alder & RW as I'm looking to be mellow"
I went for rosewood/alder based on previous experience of the combination (and I'm not a fan of maple boards), but I would cautious using the term mellow - mine growls very nicely when I dig in a bit.

"Any comments on how it's likely to be setup?"
Very well in my opinion. I thought I'd have to RAISE the action or put a little more relief in the neck after my first 5 minutes with it, but it's been fine, although I'd be the first to admit that I'm not particularly sensitive to setup like some folk are.

"I don't like buying without trying but I guess there's no choice here."
Nobody does, but my thinking was that folks on here whose opinion I trust thought they were excellent, I'd heard one single setup complaint and one single complaint about the control layout and nothing else negative, it wasn't a particularly expensive bass and Thomann have an excellent returns policy so if I was the one unlucky person to get a Friday afternoon bass I could always send it back!

"flats... "
Not yet, but I have a set of Fender flats ready to put on it when the notion takes me!

EDIT:sorry, quote doesn't work well on the mobile version of the site it would seem...

Edited by Bigwan

Like Bigwan, I'd recommend the Sire V7. I made a point of visiting a couple of guitar shops before I bought mine to check out the MIM Fender Jazz's. There's nothing at all wrong with them, lovely basses. However, after getting my V7 I just couldn't see where the extra +£300 was in the Fender. You can get a brand new V7 for less than a 2nd hand MIM.

I absolutely love my V7 and as Bigwan am waiting eagerly for the P bass they are saying they'll bring out.

If not the Sire then I'd go for the [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Maruszczyk.[/font][/color]

Both makers have very good reputations for quality at sensible prices.

thanks guys. I have tried quite a lot of Jazzes in the shops so far, with varying results:
US std - about 1/3 worked and came alive, the others just felt dead
MIM okoume (no scratchplate) - didn't like it
MIM Jazz, tried a couple of these and they were fine, some better than others. The good ones were loads better than the bad US ones, and not far off the good US ones

How is the Sire likely to feel compared to my Ray?

I don't mind doing basic setup stuff myself if needed - I'm happy to make minor truss rod adjustment and move the saddles up and along etc, so I don't think this is too much of a ris.

Just need to choose colour now...

[quote name='chickenjames' timestamp='1451739146' post='2942935']
How is the Sire likely to feel compared to my Ray?
[/quote]

Not much use to you here as mine's a 5 string and I've never played a 4 (often think of ordering one!), but the neck will be narrower at the nut and the fretboard radius will be tighter. I haven't seen depth measurements on the Sire 4 string and it's been quite a while since I (briefly!) owned a 'ray 4.

Colour-wise I went with burst, mostly since it was all they had at the time, but think it might have been my choice if I had free rein as I'm not really a fan of black basses and already have a white bass in my USA P bass.

Edited by Bigwan