Why become a member? ×

Why Short Scale?

All thumbs

Good afternoon people of basschat, and Season's greetings!

Anyone who knows me will know I'm something of a short-scale 'nut', but few really seem to grasp exactly why lol?!

Well I just wrote an article for my Short Scale Bass website that covers this very topic. I'd previously have copied the link but as I recently seem to have almost accidentally become a bass 'manufacturer', it's probably not allowed. So for anyone interested, here's the meat of the text from the article without any links etc.. I hope it helps explain why short-scale does really make a lot of sense for many players...

[b]A lot of people ask me why I'm so dedicated to this whole short-scale thing, so let’s start be looking at the most obvious advantages…[/b][list]
[*]Lightweight (less back fatigue)
[*]Faster & easier to play
[*]Smaller (easier to transport)
[*]Shorter (less stretching meaning less shoulder strain)
[/list]
[b]Lightweight[/b]

Due to everything being scaled down on a short-scale bass, this usually translates to lighter too. Any bassist who plays long 90-120 minute sets will know the strain wearing a heavy bass can put on your back and shoulders. I often have developed cramping in my lower back after standing for long periods with a bass which is no fun at all!! Most short scale basses will allow you to stand for longer without any huge sense of back fatigue.

[b]Faster & easier to play[/b]

My first encounter with short-scale was when I picked up a Danelectro Long Horn bass in Forsythe’s Music, Manchester back in about 1993. The first two things that hit me were a) how unbelievably comfortable and easy 1-finger-per-fret playing was, even right down the bottom of the neck and how awesomely pure and bell-like the tone was coming from the bass acoustically. At that moment I KNEW short-scale made 100% sense, all I needed to do was find a short scale bass in production that fitted the bill in terms of pickups, electronics, number of frets, balance, looks etc – that, as it turned out, was a different story…

[b]Smaller[/b]

As I said above, short-scales are generally smaller basses and as such will often fit into guitar gig bags and cases. This means they’ll fit in the boot of most small cars etc., and are a doddle to carry about on your shoulders in a gig bag.

[b]Shorter[/b]

The bass being generally shorter means everything is much more within reach. Having to stretch your fretting hand out to reach the 1st fret on a long-scale bass can really leave your arm and shoulder aching, particularly if you’re playing a part that hangs around that area of the neck for some time! With a short scale, everything is just that bit quicker and easier to get to. Coupled with the lighter weight of a shorty, it’s a compounded ‘win-win’ combination!

[b]Are there any disadvantages to playing short-scale?[/b]

Generally no, but there are some pitfalls to avoid!!

You have to be much more careful about which strings you use on short-scale basses, bad strings sound REALLY BAD! The good news is there are lots of excellent options that make your shorty sound in no way inferior to long-scale basses.

Cases can be a little awkward to source, but after a lot of digging around on the web you'll find there are some great options that are easy to obtain.

A lot of the off-the-peg short-scales are a little quirky or vintage-sounding; or they have fewer frets than a long-scale. Not that there’s anything wrong with that at all, and they should be embraced for what they are. But if you want to get the same pure tones you’re getting from your current long-scale bass in a short-scale format without spending a small fortune, it gets a little trickier. This is why I designed my own bass. BUT there are options, and the best affordable (and available), versatile shorties imho include the Squire Jaguar SS, the Hagstrom HB-4, The Dean EVO, Chowny's CHB-1, as well as the SX stuff from the States.

I hope this article is a bit of an insight into the whole Short Scale thing. Please PM me if you think I could help you with any other SS questions.. :-)

Edited by All thumbs

As now a shorts ale player. Couple of other issues I find with short scales is there is a slight tonal difference to long scale even if they were the same design, this is due to string tension and length I think.
Not as many short scales to chose from unfortunately.
And dare I say some genuinely look like toys almost.
Not as much string choice.

Other than that there great.

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1450890293' post='2936785']
As now a short scale player. Couple of other issues I find with short scales is there is a slight tonal difference to long scale even if they were the same design, this is due to string tension and length I think.
Not as many short scales to chose from unfortunately.
And dare I say some genuinely look like toys almost.
Not as much string choice.

Other than that there great.
[/quote]

When I decided to have a serious attempt at adding bass to my skill set after playing guitar for years I decided to quench my lifelong yearning for an alembic short scale bass (30.75") and after saving up a lot of pennies from gigging and the day job I got one from the Bass Centre in Brum. As soon as I picked it up it felt much more natural and after guitar this felt just right transition for me and not much more of a stretch to play.

Ive' done a lot of gigs with this bass and there is nothing I have found that I dislike about this bass. Yes it does have a bit of neck dive and sits differently to a regular bass but I've worked with the way the bass wants to behave and using the right posture and a good strap its now more comfortable.

There is a sweetness in the tone that is so different to that of it's long scale siblings. As for the weight this is a solid body mahogany core and coco bolo top and back with the result being that it is heavier than my 4 string all maple bass and i think weighs in at just short of 11lbs. That said I have not, ( yet), experienced any problems with heavy basses.

Cases I got a custom one made by Flightcase Warehouse and then a couple of years ago I bought a leather Harvest short scale bass gig bag case from a member of this forum which doubles as a gig bag for my guitar.

I much prefer shorties for 4 string basses and 34 for 5 string basses and have to say I haven't noticed any speed differences because I don't really play a lot of fast stuff.

I did have a few questions but i will fire off as a PM.

[quote name='Kevin Dean' timestamp='1450901358' post='2936909']
I have a 36" But then I'm 6ft 4 & it feels in proportion for me , plus the string tension is good for D tuning .
[/quote]

I have a 42" But then I'm 5ft 3 & it feels in proportion for me , plus the string tension is good for regular tuning. Some call it a double bass, I call it bigger than me :)

So far, the best bass I've found for offering the short-scale benefits without any of the perceived look/sound/feel disadvantages is my Fender Rascal. The icing on the cake is unusual styling and pup/switching configuration - I really like both.

[url="http://[URL=http://s1149.photobucket.com/user/scrumpymike/media/007_zpsapwoedu4.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1149.photobucket.com/albums/o598/scrumpymike/007_zpsapwoedu4.jpg[/IMG][/URL]"]http://[URL=http://s1149.photobucket.com/user/scrumpymike/media/007_zpsapwoedu4.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1149.photobucket.com/albums/o598/scrumpymike/007_zpsapwoedu4.jpg[/IMG][/URL][/url]

Just a bit heavy for me though at 9 1/2lbs.

Looking forward to getting the SWB-1 I've ordered from Scott in the New Year :D

[quote name='scrumpymike' timestamp='1450964727' post='2937436']
So far, the best bass I've found for offering the short-scale benefits without any of the perceived look/sound/feel disadvantages is my Fender Rascal. The icing on the cake is unusual styling and pup/switching configuration - I really like both.
[/quote]

Are you able to measure the neck width at the 1st and 12th fret please?

[quote name='scrumpymike' timestamp='1450964727' post='2937436']

[url="http://[URL=http://s1149.photobucket.com/user/scrumpymike/media/007_zpsapwoedu4.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1149.photobucket.com/albums/o598/scrumpymike/007_zpsapwoedu4.jpg[/IMG][/URL]"]http://[URL=http://s1149.photobucket.com/user/scrumpymike/media/007_zpsapwoedu4.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1149.photobucket.com/albums/o598/scrumpymike/007_zpsapwoedu4.jpg[/IMG][/URL][/url]

Just a bit heavy for me though at 9 1/2lbs.

Looking forward to getting the SWB-1 I've ordered from Scott in the New Year :D
[/quote]

Love the Gibson DC Pelham blue you have there too! I owned one of those - very cool!

Edited by All thumbs

Hey Scott, I saw the demo vid you did of your DC with Di Marzio Model 1 neck pick-up / EMG BTC control mods - very nice!! I'll probably do the same when I get round to it. These are really nice basses, although a mint example hung around on this forum for ages at £450 before selling recently.

[quote name='scrumpymike' timestamp='1451136803' post='2938481']
Hey Scott, I saw the demo vid you did of your DC with Di Marzio Model 1 neck pick-up / EMG BTC control mods - very nice!! I'll probably do the same when I get round to it. These are really nice basses, although a mint example hung around on this forum for ages at £450 before selling recently.
[/quote]

I did find the mods useful. :-)

I got mine for a great price I remember - my guess is that Pelham Blue is a 'Marmite' colour...

[quote name='All thumbs' timestamp='1450882684' post='2936683'] the best affordable (and available), versatile shorties imho include the Squire Jaguar SS, the Hagstrom HB-4, The Dean EVO, Chowny's CHB-1, as well as the SX stuff from the States.[/quote]

Cheers for this thread - I'm seriously looking into going SS and want to stay at the budget end for now. How do the Squirer Jag and Dean Evo compare to each other? Particularly in neck width, action height, weight and overall sound?

I played a Squier Mikey Way Mustang, yesterday.
Very sparkly and OK build quality.
The HB had a nice, round, warm, pleasing tone.
But whatever I did with the amp's EQ, the bass didn't really change tone, much.
Not very versatile and wouldn't cut through a mix, very well, IMO.
Probably sound better, with a plectrum.

[quote name='Ceedubya' timestamp='1452466496' post='2950269']
Hi All, anyone know if I can buy a short scale neck and just straight swap it onto my Warwick Rockbass. I'm living on England and retired (i.e no spare cash) and have limited DIY skills (i.e none). Onset of arthritis means I am strugglng to stretch.Cheers
[/quote]

More than likely your bridge will be in the wrong place to make the correct scale length making intonation impossible, ie your twelfth fret won't be half way between the nut and the bridge.
Terrible explanation but hopefully you understand what I mean :)