Why become a member? ×

This looks like a cool tuner

Grand Wazoo

That is very, very cool!
[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1449864551' post='2927679']
This will lead to people being unable to tune a guitar, just as calculators led to people being unable to do simple arithmetic.

/grumpy
[/quote]
Assuming we are of a similar age and were schooled in the 70s and 80s, I take your point but modern calculators, which display answers as fractions and mixed numbers make children (and presumably adults) much better at arithmetic because factions are a more natural expression than messy decimals.

Edited by colgraff

I remember some ancient musos sneering when I first bought an electronic tuner saying that they were dumbing down music and I should tune by ear, but I found my ear improving by virtue of using the tuner. 30 years on I have close to perfect pitch, at least in the comfort of my home in front of my piano.

Edited by colgraff

[quote name='colgraff' timestamp='1449864989' post='2927688']
I remember some ancient musos sneering when I first bought an electronic tuner saying that they were dumbing down music and I should tune by ear, but I found my ear improving by virtue of using the tuner. 30 years on I have close to perfect pitch, at least in the comfort of my home in front of my piano.
[/quote]

Bah! OK then - what note am I singing now, Mr Smarty-Pants? *Sings note*

[quote name='colgraff' timestamp='1449864989' post='2927688']
[/quote]

The digital tuners are great for me. My Korg Pitch Black has better ears than me.

I remember when I had to use what we use to call a pitch pipe.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1449883010' post='2927800']
The digital tuners are great for me. My Korg Pitch Black has better ears than me.

I remember when I had to use what we use to call a pitch pipe.

Blue
[/quote]

I forgot about pitch pipes! They were horrible. I have a Pitchblack rack tuner, too. I like not having to lean down and squint at it. I tried to find a picture of my first tuner but I can't. It was one of the Boss Chromatic Tuner series, the same shape as the TU-12, but it didn't have a needle on it, only lights indicating flat and sharp. It also had an option to tune between 440 - 445. I bought it in the late 80s.

I remember pitch pipes, unfortunately! Who thought that they were a good idea? A tuning fork for one string and then tune to that was the smart way to go, not that anyone told me at the time. I must've gone onto tuning to records pretty quickly (it's a long time ago). The first electronic tuner was truly a 'Concorde' moment. Haven't looked back since, although I still tune to recordings if they're off, for learning purposes.

I'd forgotten about tuning to pitch pipes - the past is a foreign country and all that. I think mine looked a bit like this:

[URL=http://s1187.photobucket.com/user/panamonte/media/Mobile%20Uploads/s007742a_gewa_maestr.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z394/panamonte/Mobile%20Uploads/s007742a_gewa_maestr.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Going back to the days when the sky was still dark with pterodactyls, the favoured method of tuning was to use the piano. There was always a piano backstage at every venue. Of course the condition and tuning of the thing was variable to say the least, so some very interesting opening chords were to be heard across the land... and you got good at tuning up [i]during [/i]the first number, but hey...

Edited by discreet

I had these bad boys, they came in a little see through, plastic case.

[URL=http://s308.photobucket.com/user/ezbass/media/13C54830-F6BD-4639-A960-A16C7BF9F260_zpscittrkct.jpg.html][IMG]http://i308.photobucket.com/albums/kk344/ezbass/13C54830-F6BD-4639-A960-A16C7BF9F260_zpscittrkct.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

My mate just picked up a US Les Paul Junior guitar with hard case for £280 delivered on Black Friday.
It comes complete with the G Force tuning system, where the tuning pegs turn themselves automatically to whatever tuning you have programmed, in a single strum.

Edited by Roland Rock