Why become a member? ×

FINISHED! Sei Jazz 4 string build...see new pics on page 5...looks wow...

urb

Um - not really sure if I should post this here as he kind of deserves his own build thread - but my real 'build diary' should really be entitled 'Benjamin Luke Flynn' - he's just turned six months old is and is pretty incredible:

He's a lot of fun to play with, makes me laugh my head off and is about to get his first tooth - way more fun than any stupid bass, but then I won't be surprised if some of you disagree with that...

Anyway sorry - no more baby pics - I just couldn't resist.

Hope you guys don't mind :)

Mike

• 3 months later...

Hey Peeps

Popped into Sei central today and John was quite literally working on the neck when I stopped by - and I couldn't resist taking a few snaps of the body and neck together - check out the inlayed 'wave' of spalt on the headstock - a really classy touch from Martin (I asked him to add it BTW):

The body is off the finishers soon - but Pino's P-bass is being varnished in the shop and the spalt comes out quite a bit darker than it is here - which will contrast beautifully with that lovely Birdseye board. I'm going to a matte finish on the neck which the guys will do in the workshop - and I ordered some Nordy JSE4s - they sound great.

I'm still not decided on the circuit yet - any hints or ideas appreciated - Martin was saying how he liked the new MEC circuit so I might give that a go - I don't want anything too agressive.

I know there aren't many Sei threads here but believe me there are some real crackers in production right now - Martin and John are busy with a load of orders - but thankfully mine's progressing well. I reckon it could be ready around July - so hopefully not too long to go ;)

Cheers for now - so many Seis so little time!

Mike

Nice progress Mike. Those abalone dots are a nice touch along with the headstock - it will make a nice frame for the Sei logo which I presume is going in the usual F place...?

The headstock is an interesting shape - Fender meets Musicman meets Lakland with a touch of Sadowsky thrown in.

Looking good!

just sat here reading this with my sei jazz on my knee, trying to cook up a line for a low-fi loop i've got sat in pro tools, that neck has threw me, so time to stop ;)

Looking good, the headstock is unusual, great idea though

Gonna be putting a J-retro in mine soon, not really into the bart pre that is installed, but the bart pre is probably the least harsh pre I've heard!

Tony

Hi Mike, I've been talking to Neil about preamps of late (you met him - he's getting a singlecut in buckeye built) and have come across some interesting examples that are a bit different.

There are a few preamps that I am very interested in at the moment - maybe you want to give them a look too.

Question is what sort of pre are you looking for? A 2 band, 3 band..?

First up, the new Delano Sonar 3MS - [url="http://www.delano.de/products.html?&cHash=236709b1ff&tx_smtdelano_pi1"]http://www.delano.de/products.html?&cH...x_smtdelano_pi1[/url][cat]=2&tx_smtdelano_pi1[series]=11&tx_smtdelano_pi1[strings]=69&tx_smtdelano_pi1[system]=95

It's got your typical 2 band active jazz layout but it's also got a switchable mid frequency. Quite cool if you are into tweaking.

Next, Glockenklang which are now being fitted to Dingwall basses. [url="http://www.bestbassgear.com/glockenklang-bass-preamps.htm"]http://www.bestbassgear.com/glockenklang-bass-preamps.htm[/url]

And also this little gem -
[url="http://www.beebasses.com/html/bee_pre.html"]http://www.beebasses.com/html/bee_pre.html[/url] - a bit different eh?

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='407870' date='Feb 12 2009, 06:29 PM']Hi Mike, I've been talking to Neil about preamps of late (you met him - he's getting a singlecut in buckeye built) and have come across some interesting examples that are a bit different.

There are a few preamps that I am very interested in at the moment - maybe you want to give them a look too.

Question is what sort of pre are you looking for? A 2 band, 3 band..?

First up, the new Delano Sonar 3MS - [url="http://www.delano.de/products.html?&cHash=236709b1ff&tx_smtdelano_pi1"]http://www.delano.de/products.html?&cH...x_smtdelano_pi1[/url][cat]=2&tx_smtdelano_pi1[series]=11&tx_smtdelano_pi1[strings]=69&tx_smtdelano_pi1[system]=95

It's got your typical 2 band active jazz layout but it's also got a switchable mid frequency. Quite cool if you are into tweaking.

Next, Glockenklang which are now being fitted to Dingwall basses. [url="http://www.bestbassgear.com/glockenklang-bass-preamps.htm"]http://www.bestbassgear.com/glockenklang-bass-preamps.htm[/url]

And also this little gem -
[url="http://www.beebasses.com/html/bee_pre.html"]http://www.beebasses.com/html/bee_pre.html[/url] - a bit different eh?[/quote]

Hey Russ

Funnily enough Martin mentioned both the Delano and the Glock - they both look interesting and I'm looking for a 3-band me thinks - just for extra tweakage... I'm hoping the fundamental tone from the bass will be killing but I do dig active stuff so something flexable and just a little powerful would be ideal - I like the look of the Delano. the good thing is I can always try one and if it's not right try something else - but I am happy with my Demeter but definitely want to try something new on this bass.

I'll keep you posted - thanks for the cool commenst everyone

M

[quote name='6stringbassist' post='407903' date='Feb 12 2009, 06:59 PM']That's looking really, really nice.

I don't suppose you saw any sign of a 6 string offset flamboyant with an Amboina top while you were there did you ?.[/quote]

Sadly not dude, there's a gorgeous looking Millennium, a series 2 single cut, a 9-string, a thru neck Jazz, but there are bunch that have finish on tucked away in gig bags plus there are a few at the finishers so gawd knows where it is, don't worry I'm sure it's safe ;)

M

[quote name='urb' post='407825' date='Feb 12 2009, 05:50 PM']Hey Peeps

Popped into Sei central today and John was quite literally working on the neck when I stopped by - and I couldn't resist taking a few snaps of the body and neck together - check out the inlayed 'wave' of spalt on the headstock - a really classy touch from Martin (I asked him to add it BTW):

The body is off the finishers soon - but Pino's P-bass is being varnished in the shop and the spalt comes out quite a bit darker than it is here - which will contrast beautifully with that lovely Birdseye board. I'm going to a matte finish on the neck which the guys will do in the workshop - and I ordered some Nordy JSE4s - they sound great.

I'm still not decided on the circuit yet - any hints or ideas appreciated - Martin was saying how he liked the new MEC circuit so I might give that a go - I don't want anything too agressive.

I know there aren't many Sei threads here but believe me there are some real crackers in production right now - Martin and John are busy with a load of orders - but thankfully mine's progressing well. I reckon it could be ready around July - so hopefully not too long to go ;)

Cheers for now - so many Seis so little time!

Mike[/quote]

Hi Mike

That really is looking absolutely spectacular! Can't wait to see the finished item. I'd say it's probably the nicest Sei Jazz I've ever seen so far.

BTW, I've played Mike's s/cut and the Nordys sound fantastic to me; it's absolutely one of the best sounding basses I've ever heard, and when the time comes I'm going to have something very similar built.

• 3 weeks later...

OK

Quick update - just wanted to show you guys a new shot of the headstock as the neck has now had the first few coats of varnish applied - there are still a few more to go - before the guys start working on the matt finish - this will be on the fretboard too.

Check out how lovely/amazing the spalted maple looks once the varnish goes on - the body will look incredible once it's done the round trip to the finishers and back...

Also I've decided to give the Delano circuit a try - it sounds good in theory so I'll see how it works in practice - and I've also decided on using a piece of flamed bubinga for the ramp - plus I'm haing V shaped tuning pegs (including hip shot detuner) instead of the more traditional butterfly wings - just to make it more of 'modern' J bass... should look wicked :)

There are some more spalted maple monsters on the go as well - plus another couple of cracking J basses (one for John Currie and one for Pino Palladino) on the go as well... the coming months should be interesting at Sei central.

Mike

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='424833' date='Mar 4 2009, 10:17 AM']Not looking too shabby there. The logo sits nice in the gap... so come on, tell the truth, there wasn't quite enough wood to do the whole headstock was there? :rolleyes:[/quote]

No Martin's hardly got any wood left - to be honest I don't know how he's going to finish any of the basses he's making right now... :)

...only kidding.

In actual fact my bass is the first to feature this kind of half-top wood half maple design on the headstock - it involved a nifty bit of jigsaw style wood working and typically Martin has done it with his usual aplomb.... in other words 'it looks ace'.

M

[quote name='deksawyer' post='424999' date='Mar 4 2009, 12:59 PM']If it was to be my bass, then I'd have had the lighter bit of wood with the logo on it routed so it sat 2-3mm lower than the rest of the headstock. Still looking good though!

D.[/quote]

Well if it was [i]your[/i] bass all that would be possible - hence the beauty of having something made for you - still glad you like it :)

M

[quote name='urb' post='425060' date='Mar 4 2009, 01:44 PM']Well if it was [i]your[/i] bass all that would be possible - hence the beauty of having something made for you - still glad you like it :)

M[/quote]

Well I certainly didn't mean to spoil your party as your reply would seem to indicate I'd done. It really is a beauty!

I've just this minute commissioned Alan @ ACG to build me a bass, and I'm sure (as always) his design will be liked/disliked by many.....having a bass design made for you is never going to be approved by everyone (and it shouldn't be either!).

It's going to be a long wait for me though.

Keeps the pics coming.....

D.

[quote name='deksawyer' post='425168' date='Mar 4 2009, 03:26 PM']Well I certainly didn't mean to spoil your party as your reply would seem to indicate I'd done. It really is a beauty!

I've just this minute commissioned Alan @ ACG to build me a bass, and I'm sure (as always) his design will be liked/disliked by many.....having a bass design made for you is never going to be approved by everyone (and it shouldn't be either!).

It's going to be a long wait for me though.

Keeps the pics coming.....

D.[/quote]

Sorry I didn't mean to sound off - just stating the obvious wasn't I? No offence taken etc - I really just meant Martin and Co are very accommodating when it comes to individual style ideas and making things a little more unique for each customer - but hey I think you already know that.

Cheers

Mike