Why become a member? ×

FINISHED! Sei Jazz 4 string build...see new pics on page 5...looks wow...

urb

Hey people,

I just had a great day as not only did I decide it was time to comission up my next Sei bass - I also found out that my Warwick 1990 Thumb had sold as well... for whatever reason no one had told me as Alex thought Martin had told me but when I arrived today it was news to me... so I have a good start on the funds for the build.

The other great thing that came out of ordering the bass today was I got the last piece of the absoluetely mind blowing bit of American spalted maple... Martin said that he thought it was one of the nicest pieces he'd ever acquired. So I am utterly thrillied about that. As you'll see from the specs below it's pretty much a 'standard' J bass with an ash body and maple neck - I'm still undecided on the elctronics - though I'm really interested in the John East preamp - and the only pups I was recommended earlier that might be worth a shot are the Fender Custom Shop ones - but hey I'm open to suggestions:

4 string
24 fret maple neck - bolt on.
Birdseye maple fingerboard
Ash body
Absolutely stunning American spalted maple top
Ramp with top wood on it
Red LEDs along top side of finger board.
Abalone markers on the board
Black hardware
Bridge TBC
Electronics - Glokenklang
J bass Pickups - Nordstrand NSJ4
Hipshot D-tuner
Full spalted maple facing on the headstock with Sei Bass 'curve' design.
Flamed Bubinga Ramp

As ever it'll be a while before I have any pics but I feel like the bass is already 'meant to be' and I'm sure Martin will deliver another cracking instrument. Thankfully I already have one to sustain me in the meantime - but I'm still really excited about this bass as it will have a distinctly different character to the Single Cut.

Cheers

Mike

Congratulations, it's a great feeling isn't it, ordering your bass.

When you say the John East pre, do you mean the ACG/East, I had the East deluxe fitted to my bass but recently changed to the ACG/East, and I have to say it's made a hell of a difference, the bass was amazing before, now it's out of this world.

You know I was going to buy the Fodera 6 string that's for sale at the Gallery, but my Sei bass really is so much better that I decided that it was pointless doing so.

Edited by 6stringbassist

[quote name='6stringbassist' post='282176' date='Sep 11 2008, 09:40 PM']Congratulations, it's a great feeling isn't it, ordering your bass.

When you say the John East pre, do you mean the ACG/East, I had the East deluxe fitted to my bass but recently changed to the ACG/East, and I have to say it's made a hell of a difference, the bass was amazing before, now it's out of this world.

You know I was going to buy the Fodera 6 string that's for sale at the Gallery, but my Sei bass really is so much better that I decided that it was pointless doing so.[/quote]

Thanks man - yes I probably do mean the one you mention - I'm looking for a circuit that will be ideal for tweaking the mids but retain warmth etc - I've heard great things about what John does so I'm liking the idea of using a homegrown design and from what you are saying it sounds like the one... as for pups I'm still not sure - I really dig my Nordy Fatstacks and I'm sure the J versions will be as good.

As for that Fodera it's definitely not a good Fodera, I tried it but it was so ridiculously large that I'm simply not built for it - and it looks weird being such a huge bass... not my bag at all - I tried the two Monarchs they had in a year or two ago and really dug them and the Matt Garrison Imperial was great - but 6K.... no thanks - I LOVE my Sei and it's easily as good in terms of craftsmanship and playablity - and looks. I don't think I could handle all the hassle of getting a bass made for me in the US and or the three year waiting list. I know that Dave Swift (Jools Holland's bassist) has been waiting over three years for his Anthony jackson 6 string - anf he's really good pals with Vinnie... if you live in the UK you have many great options to get a brilliant bass made right here now - no question about it.

I'll post pics as soon as I get them - probably in a month or so - the top is just sick man...

M

The ACG filter pre-amp is IMO the best pre you can get for a bass.

While I was waiting for Martin to perform the finishing adjustments to my Sei, I had a go on the second-hand single-cut fretless. Nice playing bass but I much preferred the sound I got out of mine. The filters are spot on for mid-range tweakage.

I'll be following this build with interest.

Hey dudes - thanks for all the positive comments - I can't believe how excited I am about this bass.

I've always wanted a Jazz bass but never found one I really loved - and that was my concern in that I could spend as much time finding a vintage one and pay just as much money as commissioning one from Martin - who I know will make it the way I want it - hence 24 frets and a cool contemporary design...

Anyway - the wait begins... I shall keep you posted

Mike

[quote name='urb' post='282603' date='Sep 12 2008, 01:20 PM']Hey dudes - thanks for all the positive comments - I can't believe how excited I am about this bass.

I've always wanted a Jazz bass but never found one I really loved - and that was my concern in that I could spend as much time finding a vintage one and pay just as much money as commissioning one from Martin - who I know will make it the way I want it - hence 24 frets and a cool contemporary design...

I got one very rough pic of the top wood - this is for a new Series II Single Cut that someone has ordered - so apologies for the poor quality but this will look simply stunning when it's all shiny and finished:

[attachment=13261:spalted_top.jpg]

Anyway - the wait begins... I shall keep you posted

Mike[/quote]

That looks like a Pirates treasure map :)

[quote name='urb' post='284846' date='Sep 16 2008, 11:07 AM']Aye me laddeee that it does...! :)[/quote]

You love these mouldy basses don't you?

Mind you, I saw a buckeye Roscoe that raised my eyebrow... (<----- my latest GB "Gabbie" was going to be Buckeye but she ended up being burr walnut in the end... I do love my walnut...)

Anyway, keep us updated! (and are you serious about the Nordstrands? I took them straight out of my Lakland, they just sounded all middly and woolly... and how noisy were they? I know jazzes are noisy to some extent but they were just rediculous...)

PS what pickups are in your singlecut? I forget?! Are they Nordys?

Edited by EBS_freak

• 3 weeks later...

Hi dudes

Just popped by the Gallery today and got a first look at the very earliest stages of my bass - there are many months to go - but the guys cut out my facings from the spalted maple block and even in their roughest possible state they look amazing. The pic I got is actually reversed as this is actually the underside of the facings, the top side is protected by tape but even so they hint at just how stunning they will be post-lacquering:

Martin's going to cut the body out soon and get the neck in production as well - so things are starting to take shape.

Re Russ' questions above - I have Nordy's in my Singe cut and so far they seem to be working out - I get a good range of tones and all seems to be in order. One thing I'm sort of scared of is getting into the whole thing of trying loads of pups to find 'the' ones when really it's also about having a sound in your head, and hands, and being able to create that - so far so good with the nody Fatstacks and the Demeter circuit.

However I am looking for something different with the Jazz, I am looking for growl and punch so any recommendations for that on the pickup side are welcome - and having seen John East's very clear and fascinating demonstration of both his J retro and his filter ACG circuit - I'm leaning towards the J Retro as I'm sort of favouring simple reliable results over infinite possibilities... but reading all the positive comments for the ACG makes me think it's worth a shot... any thoughts?

Right that's about it for now - obviously shoot away with your thoughts and I'll keep you lot posted on any other developments.

Mike

• 3 weeks later...

Hot diggity-dawg!

Just seen my bass today and it's alrady taking shape - and damn that top wood and the lovely bit of ash for the body) are living up to expectations - it's gonna be unbelievable when the finsh goes on - even Martinis saying 'he can't wait' until he can see that spalted maple in all its glory - any way a picture's worth a thousand words so I'll STFU...

More stuff when I get it :)

M

That neck pocket looks great for access. Whats happening with regards to the cavity? - and I presume the ramp top wood is going to be contrasting to the top? Looks to be really nice so far. Where is the jack socket going? Front or side?

You tempted for a little burst ala the Fodera NYC in the Gallery at the moment? It looks pants on the website but in the flesh, it's pretty tasty!

Edited by EBS_freak

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='311712' date='Oct 22 2008, 01:00 AM']That neck pocket looks great for access. Whats happening with regards to the cavity? - and I presume the ramp top wood is going to be contrasting to the top? Looks to be really nice so far. Where is the jack socket going? Front or side?

You tempted for a little burst ala the Fodera NYC in the Gallery at the moment? It looks pants on the website but in the flesh, it's pretty tasty![/quote]

Hey dude - yeah that's one of the design features I like best about the Sei Jazz basses is the chamfered area where the neck meets the body - it's really erganomic (much like an MTD) and it looks stylish too. Regards the cavity on the back for the electronics I'm pretty sure that the piece of ash that was cut out will be used to create a matching cover like most of the other Jazz's. The ramp is something we've yet to make a final decision on, yes it might well be something dark (not ebony) brownish - or an off cut of the spalted maple, and it might even be one big ramp that completely cover the pickups, Martin had some other ideas that might be cool - I'll let you know when we lock it down.

Re and kind of 'burst' on the finish (and that Fodera NYC doesn't look great in reality either sorry to say) I'd be loathed to touch this spalted maple as obviously it will look 'significantly' sweeter once the finish goes on - the difference in colour and detail on my Single Cut's buckeye burl before and after finishing was massive - so I can only imagine a deep gloss finish here will bring out eye-poppping details and all the various (four different) coloured areas to a much greater intentsity - so I'm definitely not going to try and tweak that in any way, and lastly I think the jack socket will go on the side.

Thanks for the positive comments - I'm feeling much more relaxed about this bass than my first Sei, buut no less excited that's for sure!

Cheers

Mike

Yup - the access is pretty nice, nicely contoured. That's what I like about my Rumour... but obviously that's not a bolt on. On this example certainly, I think that Martin has that absolutely nailed. How are Martin's cavity covers mounted? Obviously, there is nothing at the moment for it to be screwed into. Presumably the battery for the circuit is going to go in there also?

The ramp thing could be quite interesting. I don't know about you but I would be against a complete ramp - individual pickup height adjustment may be comprimised... but then again, we're talking such small distances, you probably wouldn't be able to notice. Isn't Windmill who do those all in one pickup/ramp combinations? I'm sure that it'll be the right choice in the end, whatever you choose.

As for the Fodera NYC, perhaps I haven't carried the look of it too well in my head. I don't recall it looking as bad as it does on the Gallery website... but maybe I am mistaken. I think it's right that you don't touch the wood then. The poly will make everything jump like mad in the end. Jack socket in the side - good choice...

I think it will be great. Keep us posted on the build! I know the feeling - nothing quite prepares you for the finished product. When you see the raw wood and what it ends up being like, it's quite staggering. Up to the point where it's ready for finishing , wood can still look quite unimpressive... but once it's been finished... yowzers! You have a great piece of wood pre-polishing... that thing is going to be quite mental!

[quote name='urb' post='311793' date='Oct 22 2008, 09:01 AM']Hey dude - yeah that's one of the design features I like best about the Sei Jazz basses is the chamfered area where the neck meets the body - it's really erganomic (much like an MTD) and it looks stylish too. Regards the cavity on the back for the electronics I'm pretty sure that the piece of ash that was cut out will be used to create a matching cover like most of the other Jazz's. The ramp is something we've yet to make a final decision on, yes it might well be something dark (not ebony) brownish - or an off cut of the spalted maple, and it might even be one big ramp that completely cover the pickups, Martin had some other ideas that might be cool - I'll let you know when we lock it down.

Re and kind of 'burst' on the finish (and that Fodera NYC doesn't look great in reality either sorry to say) I'd be loathed to touch this spalted maple as obviously it will look 'significantly' sweeter once the finish goes on - the difference in colour and detail on my Single Cut's buckeye burl before and after finishing was massive - so I can only imagine a deep gloss finish here will bring out eye-poppping details and all the various (four different) coloured areas to a much greater intentsity - so I'm definitely not going to try and tweak that in any way, and lastly I think the jack socket will go on the side.

Thanks for the positive comments - I'm feeling much more relaxed about this bass than my first Sei, buut no less excited that's for sure!

Cheers

Mike[/quote]

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='312198' date='Oct 22 2008, 03:34 PM']PS... have you got a name yet? In fact, have you got a name for any of your basses?[/quote]

I don't really have names for them other than; 'my lovely fretless' or 'my super sexy Single Cut'... - I'm not really one to give them girly names (nothing wrong with that of course) but it's a sad fact that I (and plenty of other guys I know) tend to refer to their bass as 'her' or 'she's a beauty' etc - Billy Sheehan was quoted calling his bass (the pink Yamaha one) 'His Wife' - I guess it's a reflection of how much time he spent playing it- for me, being a new dad and really busy with work at the mo, my basses are more like my 'Mistresses' right now - I only get to see them on weekends (and for the odd hour in the week!) you get the idea... :)

M

[quote name='urb' post='313183' date='Oct 23 2008, 06:37 PM']I don't really have names for them other than; 'my lovely fretless' or 'my super sexy Single Cut'... - I'm not really one to give them girly names (nothing wrong with that of course) but it's a sad fact that I (and plenty of other guys I know) tend to refer to their bass as 'her' or 'she's a beauty' etc - Billy Sheehan was quoted calling his bass (the pink Yamaha one) 'His Wife' - I guess it's a reflection of how much time he spent playing it- for me, being a new dad and really busy with work at the mo, my basses are more like my 'Mistresses' right now - I only get to see them on weekends (and for the odd hour in the week!) you get the idea... :)

M[/quote]

I haven't named a bass... they have been named for me! I like your story though - Mistresses! Naughty but nice.

[quote name='6stringbassist' post='314782' date='Oct 25 2008, 09:53 PM']That's going to be a great looking bass.

From an idea to a body in about 6 weeks too, that's pretty good, what's the wait time for a Sei jazz bass ?.[/quote]

I'm not sure to be honest - I think it'll be at least 9 months from now but I'm expecting it to be more like a year - things can progress quite quickly then nothing happens for ages... or at least that's what it feels like :) !

And Wal Bass Man - that's one lovely looking top there as well - I'm really excited about this baby will look - as well as how it will feel and sound.

I jus had my single cut's frets re-stoned as there were a couple of rough spots after the bass had been settling in - it's 7 months old now - and it's playing like a dream - Sei's rule!

I'll keep you all posted with any other developments - I'm really looking forward to seeing the neck sometime soon-ish

M