Why become a member? ×

Chunkiest 5 string neck?

miles'tone

I've recently realised that I'm alot more comfortable playing really thick necks these days as my preferred slim front to back neck profile seems to make me cramp a bit now.
I'm just toying with the idea of maybe buying a new neck for my Squier VM P5. Any ideas who may do such a replacement neck?
Failing that, who makes a decent 5 string with a baseball bat of a neck, say up to 5 or 600 quid? Active, passive, whatever. Would just be nice to get an idea what's out there beyond the Fender/Squier/Musicman circles I seem to move in. G&L could be a possibility if their tributes have thick necks like I've heard the USA models do..
Funny how our bodies change over time in't it?

[quote name='SICbass' timestamp='1447156661' post='2905295']
Down the cheaper end of the market, I tried a squier vm jazz 5 that was too chunky for my tastes. Not a bad neck just too meaty for me. Perhaps the vm precision 5 even more so? I'm sure someone here will be able to tell you.
[/quote]

The VM P5 and J5 have the same neck dimensions. When I bought my Fender Modern Player Jazz 5 I tried it against a VM P5. Apparently they're both 'modern C' necks but I'd say the Fender neck felt marginally more substantial than the Squier. They've discontinued the Modern Player Jazz now but you can still pick up the necks on eBay occasionally.
Still slimmer front to back than my cheap and cheerful Harley Benton PJ5 though.

I've got one of those odd Squier 5 string P basses with the twin jazz type pups. The neck is quite shallow, but very wide which I find is fine for me to get around, in spite of having small hands. I had the entry level Yamaha Attitude 5er which was very similar.

[quote name='DarkHeart' timestamp='1447151765' post='2905234']
G&L's have chunky necks or at least the L2500 ive just got does.
[/quote]

The L2500 Tribute I had was too chunky for me, but the USA one I got a while later was thinner front to back. The L2000 tribby I had for a bit was possibly thicker again, but the M2000 tribby I have now is more jazz like, so make sure you get the chance to test one out. I also have an early 90's Warwick Streamer Std and to me it feels thin, but other people said it's quite fat.

Edited by Jakester

Thanks for the ideas guys, mucho appreciated!
Nice to know the G&Ls have the thick necks (the M2500 has been on my radar since they came out)
Never really looked at Warwicks though, I'll keep my eyes peeled for something local to have a look at.
I feel this is a case of GAS that's going to be a very long and drawn out process!
The horror... ;)

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1447152530' post='2905250']
I used to have a Warwick Fortress 5 that had an amazingly huge neck. It was bonkers. I think it was from about 2000 ish - certainly not like the earlier slim ones.
[/quote]
I had a 2001 Streamer Standard 5 that had a monster neck, probably a similar profile to this. Hurt my hands.

[quote name='Painy' timestamp='1447159973' post='2905338']

Still slimmer front to back than my cheap and cheerful Harley Benton PJ5 though.
[/quote]
Would you say the Harley Benton PJ5 has a thick neck front to back? I have a HB 550fl deko that has a pretty chunky neck, feels really nice. If the PJ5 had the same depth of neck then that would suit me!
What's the B string like?

[quote name='miles'tone' timestamp='1447178768' post='2905609']

Would you say the Harley Benton PJ5 has a thick neck front to back? I have a HB 550fl deko that has a pretty chunky neck, feels really nice. If the PJ5 had the same depth of neck then that would suit me!
What's the B string like?
[/quote]

Judge for yourself. My jazz (very similar profile to your P5) is on the left and the Harley Benton is on the right. Low B its actually pretty reasonable especially given the price.

You wanna swap? ;)

Edited by Painy

There was a thicker/wider neck option available for Warwicks a few years ago (there still might be), and if it's any wider than the 2000-ish 5-string Streamer I once picked up, it'll be like trying to strangle a giraffe one-handed... :unsure:

The Squier Deluxe Active Jazz V is a very good bass for the money and has the biggest neck I have ever played but I love it and play it all the time. I love a chunky wide neck and Used to have a Roscoe Beck V which also had a substantial next to it.

I just bought a P5 and it feels very slim in comparison to the Jazz Deluxe but I do find it very comfortable. I don't think you will find a drop in neck for the Squier VMP5 but you can get the Squier Deluxe for about £160 used sometimes.

[quote name='Painy' timestamp='1447182869' post='2905657']

Judge for yourself. My jazz (very similar profile to your P5) is on the left and the Harley Benton is on the right. Low B its actually pretty reasonable especially given the price.

You wanna swap? ;)
[/quote]

The HB certainly does look thicker. Interesting! Crazy that the whole bass is actually cheaper than a mighty mite neck.
I might have to pick one up just to see.
I also have a HB shorty P (non deko) that is a cracking little bass so I do have faith in Harley Benton.

Thanks for taking the time to photo your basses. Very cool of you!

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1447183288' post='2905662']
There was a thicker/wider neck option available for Warwicks a few years ago (there still might be), and if it's any wider than the 2000-ish 5-string Streamer I once picked up, it'll be like trying to strangle a giraffe one-handed... :unsure:
[/quote]

Cheers Muzz 😁

[quote name='NJE' timestamp='1447184953' post='2905682']
The Squier Deluxe Active Jazz V is a very good bass for the money and has the biggest neck I have ever played but I love it and play it all the time. I love a chunky wide neck and Used to have a Roscoe Beck V which also had a substantial next to it.

I just bought a P5 and it feels very slim in comparison to the Jazz Deluxe but I do find it very comfortable. I don't think you will find a drop in neck for the Squier VMP5 but you can get the Squier Deluxe for about £160 used sometimes.
[/quote]

Yes the necks are over 2" at the nut! Good idea, especially used. Thanks.

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1447183288' post='2905662']
[/quote]

Now we're getting mixed up between width & depth. You're talking about the broad-neck Warwicks which came with a wider fret-board for wider string spacing, I don't think they made the necks any deeper to accommodate this.

I'm now not sure if the OP want a deep neck or a wide neck but I can definitely say Warwick necks of the 00's are deeper than Fender as I flick between the two all the time.