Why become a member? ×

What's in a picture?

mattbass6

This is totally to do with my OCD by the way but, am I the only one that winces when you see a bass / guitar someone is selling and, they feel the best way to capture it's natural beauty is to photograph it it standing, lying, leaning on concrete, resting on pebbles or balanced across garden chairs. It just puts me off wanting to buy it. I hate dinging my basses, it drives me nuts and even though it's inevitable when you play a lot (I know basses are meant to be played not just admired - I do both by the way) but, seeing a bass for sale in the situation described, makes me wonder how well it was looked after. I just want to see an instrument I was interested in buying, on a stand against a plain background along with a clear description knowing it wasn't unnecessarily damaged, for the sake of a "pose". Sorry in advance but, I just had to ask as I've been potentially interested in a purchase and then seen the said described situation and backtracked to the previous page.

Edited by mattbass6

Then again, many sellers have some sort of CDO (sic) as well, me included, and we use hours and hours painstakingly putting soft velvet between those basses and the gravel and concrete - - even cutting mum's finest pillows in two when needed, just to avoid that any velvet be visible in the picture, and...

What?

Yes, mum. Sorry, mum.

Edited by BassTractor

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1446877331' post='2903080']
Then again, many sellers have some sort of CDO (sic) as well, me included, and we use hours and hours painstakingly putting soft velvet between those basses and the gravel and concrete - - even cutting mum's finest pillows in two when needed, just to avoid that any velvet be visible in the picture, and...

What?

Yes, mum. Sorry, mum.
[/quote]

Fair point, well presented 😉

Edited by mattbass6

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1446886858' post='2903120']
Yes, I completely get this, but the point made above is valid.
The best pictures I've taken have been outside in natural light. Some basses are hard to do justice to indoors when you're in a hurry.
I've therefore used rubber trivets so no contact has been made when laying the bass down.
Probably a bit wrong to judge everyone as an instrument abuser if you can't tell for sure how it's been done :-)
[/quote]

Why would you be in a hurry take a picture indoors? If you can take the time to use rubber trivets and carefully place them so as not to be seen, then why not take the time to get the lighting right indoors. By the way, I'm not saying there is a right or wrong, I am just countering your point 😉 Also, I'm not judging anyone, I don't do that. I was just asking if I was the only one who felt like I do about seeing basses in that situation 😉

I love the insight into other people's lives the amateur 'for sale' photo gives.
The edge of a slipper, dodgy trainer or bare foot.
The dog bowl in the background or children's toys.
The hideous soft furnishings, laughable garden 'landscaping', gruesome duvet cover.
Bald head reflected in the shiny bits.

But cheap jokes aside, who can believe in the 'truth' of a photograph anymore? If ever?
I think unless you get to examine something physically you're taking a punt.

I confess that I'm the same (as the OP) when it comes to these kinds of photos and have always wondered whether there's some kind of hidden bit of support under an instrument or has the owner placed it as softly as possible on whatever surface offends my sensibilities LOL.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1446899297' post='2903314']
Best not look at this photo then:

[IMG]http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n249/BigRedX/Bass/Born%20To%20Rock%20F4B%20Water_zpsmi2sdivm.jpg[/IMG]
[/quote]

I don't know about the bass, but this one looks like it might scratch up that lovely slate tiling.... Just sayin'

[quote name='sprocketflup' timestamp='1446891512' post='2903195']
The ones that get me started are where there are a million pics of parts/details of the bass, but not a single pic of all of it, or even just a complete neck or body shot
[/quote]

Lol I'm glad it's not just me! 😊