Why become a member? ×

Barefaced Big Twin 2, worth the upgrade from my 4x12 rig?

Ruck

Im currently using a Gallien Krueger 1001RB into two GK Neo212s. Although this rig does the job very well, It doesn't tick all the boxes for me. I don't normally have monitors or PA subs at my gigs and I was wondering if the speaker dispersion from the Barefaced Big Twin 2 is going to be enough to hear my sound accurately on stage? any advice from owners or people with experience with the Big Twin 2 would be greatly appreciated thanks.

I run a GK RB700ii into a pair of gen3 Big Baby's which is very similar to what you're looking at.
It's a great rig and I have no issues with lack of dispersion. You will have to re eq quite a bit though - it's the only rig I've used where I have to drop the bass back to 9 o'clock to stop the window s falling out in the pubs.
I used to have a couple of GK MBE212 cabs and found they were a lot muddier and grittier sounding - don't know how they compare to the Neos though.

You don't say which boxes your current rig doesn't tick, so my opinion is; the Barefaced is a level up from the GK's. You'll easily hear yourself and so will everyone else in the room. You might be surprised that your sound will be clearer and more defined and articulate than you're used to. These cabs put out exactly what you put in. When you get used to that you'll love it.

I once asked a sound guy about my volume and mix out front, only using my Berg 212, and he said you're loud, we don't have you in the PA. You'll carry the room on your own with a Big Twin 2 and more often than my cab will.

You also get a 1 month trial.

Only experience i have is comparing my Barefaced Super12T with a single GK Neo212. The BF is better in every aspect, louder, clearer, better dispersion, less distortion, lighter. If you ask me if the BF has twice the output of the GK i can't really say for sure but it does feels like it, it brings your sound to a comfortable place in the mix and everybody on estage can hear you. The Big Twin is a big step above the S12T so it should match the pair of GK you have (volumewise) and outperform them (soundwise). IMO

I`ve no experience of the Big Twin but like Ghost Bass I use a Super12T and it doesn`t matter where I stand, I can hear my bass really well. I have in fact got two of them, intended for big venue use, but am yet to play a venue that needs both. Additionally, being a lot "flatter/clearer" in sound, if you DI through FOH at your gigs, having a cab that is flatter/clearer will help as your on-stage sound is likely to be much more in keeping with what gets to the FOH.

I'm using the Big Twin II and as many BCers know, I've owned way too much kit for my own good!

I think that those unfamiliar with the cabinet may find that the low mid humps and baked in bass bumps of other cabinets missing in the BT2 a turn off at first. Spend some time re-EQing your amp and I am sure that you will be very pleased at what it is capable of. Dispersion is great - balanced sound is great. Don't expect to be able to hide your mistakes though :) :)

Yeah, it's light, it's powerful and clean and clear like a really nice PA cabinet. It will happily go loud too!

No idea what your current rig is like so anything I say is probably useless ☺

That being said my big twin is a step up dispersion-wise from my Bergantino ae410, it goes louder too, and the ae410 is a seriously loud cab already.

Finally it gives the best low B of any cab I've ever heard. It's not got a low end hump like most have instead it just goes deeper, giving a far more even fundamental to the B string than anything I've ever played with.

My band immediately thought it a better fit than the 410, and all reckoned they could hear it more clearly throughout the room.

Whether or not its what you need I don't know, but it absolutely is an immense single cab solution for bass.

You will almost certainly need to rethink your eq to get the most out of it.

Edited by 51m0n

Wow many thanks for all the replies in just one day, many Barefaced users I see. Controlling dynamics and attack is very important to me live (as im one of those make-shift bass/synth players), I need the headroom and to be able to hear what the crowd is hearing, instead of having to kneel down and check all the time if I had a short cab. All your feedback sounds very promising. Its kind of hard to believe a short cab like the Big Twin 2 could match up to the speaker dispersion of a 8x10 or 4x12. Looks like Im buying a Big Twin 2 very soon!

Yeah I kind of have a on going back problem myself, even though the Neo212s are 25kg, the shape of them means I am constantly turning them in hand to get through doorways which is not ideal for my back. Putting them down, rotating them and lifting them up again is too much hassle :)

In what way are you currently not hearing your sound accurately, changing a cab will no doubt change your sound but I am not sure that spending money on gear is the answer. GK gear is renowned for cutting through the mix extremely well and is used to great effect by many players, how do you eq you bass and amp? Do you play on hollow stages without a gramma pad? Do you often play in corners of rooms?
If you can experiment with what you have you may save yourself some ££££

[quote name='Ruck' timestamp='1446070204' post='2896742']
Yeah I kind of have a on going back problem myself, even though the Neo212s are 25kg, the shape of them means I am constantly turning them in hand to get through doorways which is not ideal for my back. Putting them down, rotating them and lifting them up again is too much hassle :)
[/quote]
That will probably be the case with any tall or wide cab, I even feel it to some degree twisting my CN212 into the boot of my car.
Modular is probably your best solution to sort out that issue or a trolley(no good for upstairs gigs)

[quote name='IanA' timestamp='1446148161' post='2897381']
In what way are you currently not hearing your sound accurately, changing a cab will no doubt change your sound but I am not sure that spending money on gear is the answer. GK gear is renowned for cutting through the mix extremely well and is used to great effect by many players, how do you eq you bass and amp? Do you play on hollow stages without a gramma pad? Do you often play in corners of rooms?
If you can experiment with what you have you may save yourself some ££££
[/quote]

Oh im hearing my sound fine with the GK 4x12 setup. Im just worried going back to a 2x12, I might not, hence the speaker dispersion question in the OP. IMO the 1001RB doesnt have precise enough control over the bass or lower mids to tailor it to some venues. Even with the 50hz cut, some venues just resonate certain frequencies too much and the "boom" is hard to get rid of resulting in either thin sound when I cut the bass or just big boomy bass. Ive read in forums that the Neo212 cabs have a significant dip at 600hz too and you cant eq that back with the 1001RB (im planning on changing amps too). I use Gamma pads for hollow stages and play in the corner when I can, yes, very helpful info I learnt years ago from this forum. But many thanks for offering your advice IanA.

[quote name='Ruck' timestamp='1446153707' post='2897433']

Oh im hearing my sound fine with the GK 4x12 setup. Im just worried going back to a 2x12, I might not, hence the speaker dispersion question in the OP. IMO the 1001RB doesnt have precise enough control over the bass or lower mids to tailor it to some venues. Even with the 50hz cut, some venues just resonate certain frequencies too much and the "boom" is hard to get rid of resulting in either thin sound when I cut the bass or just big boomy bass. Ive read in forums that the Neo212 cabs have a significant dip at 600hz too and you cant eq that back with the 1001RB (im planning on changing amps too). I use Gamma pads for hollow stages and play in the corner when I can, yes, very helpful info I learnt years ago from this forum. But many thanks for offering your advice IanA.
[/quote]
It sounds like you have already expired the troubles shooting list😀 I just hoped we could find you an foc solution.
I was actually going to recommend not playing in a corner where possible...

Oh im hearing my sound fine with the GK 4x12 setup. Im just worried going back to a 2x12, I might not,
[/quote]

You will if the 212 is a Barefaced cab.

I'd email Alex and put your questions to him. He'll explain it better than we can, make better recommendations and he won't sell you something that won't work.

Guest bassman7755

Oh im hearing my sound fine with the GK 4x12 setup. Im just worried going back to a 2x12, I might not,
[/quote]

A grid of 4 speakers generally has the worst dispersion characteristics of any speaker config due to having phase cancellation in both the horizontal and vertical planes.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1446165593' post='2897506']

You will if the 212 is a Barefaced cab.

I'd email Alex and put your questions to him. He'll explain it better than we can, make better recommendations and he won't sell you something that won't work.
[/quote]
I would actually speak to Mark Stickley at Bass Direct instead. He can talk you through a lot more options and won't try and sell you something for the sake of it. Great guy great customer service top quality products!

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='IanA' timestamp='1446190074' post='2897536']
I would actually speak to Mark Stickley at Bass Direct instead. He can talk you through a lot more options and won't try and sell you something for the sake of it. Great guy great customer service top quality products!
[/quote]

Having dealt with both Alex and Mark I'd happily recommend either to give objective advice.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1446199422' post='2897608']

Mark is a great guy and he will always have bass gear available that is worth listening to trying out, but please don't try to say Alex will sell you a cab "for the sake of it".

He will advise appropriately based on the information you give and at the end of the day you have a 1 month trail so nothing gets sold "for the sake of it".
[/quote]

2+2 does not equal 5 be careful putting words in people's mouths.....
I was merely commenting on Marks integrity and did not mention Alex or his products. I was merely offering another avenue for the op to investigate.
Having never spoken to Alex it would be wrong to voice such an opinion especially in a public domain.
you fanboys sure are sensitive