Why become a member? ×

Precision vs Jazz P/J vs Jaguar P/J

gs_triumph

Hi,

I am just looking for a little guidance here... opinion as opposed to a definative answer.

I am pondering buying a new bass and i was just wondering, given that some people are of the belief that the tonewood makes very little, if any difference to the tone of a bass, then body shape should have an equal effect.

Does a P-bass with a split coil sound the same as a Jazz with a P/J config and likewise a Jaguar with P/J config? (Assuming you are using only the split coil on the jag and jazz)

I did try searching for this but you can imagine the search results are overwhelming.

• 3 months later...

I've just bought a Squier VM Jazz and to I can tell very little difference between that on the neck pickup only and my MIA Precision, the jazz is a shade more trebly and a bit noisier (but not with both pickups on) but that's it, used it at practice last night and it cut through just fine, I'm a bit gutted actually, so if you're after the best of both worlds I don't really see the point of the P/J configuration to be honest.

Edited by PaulWarning

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1453375564' post='2958831']
I've just bought a Squier VM Jazz and to I can tell very little difference between that on the neck pickup only and my MIA Precision, the jazz is a shade more trebly and a bit noisier (but not with both pickups on) but that's it, used it at practice last night and it cut through just fine, I'm a bit gutted actually, so if you're after the best of both worlds I don't really see the point of the P/J configuration to be honest.
[/quote]

All other things being equal, the neck PUP on a Jazz and a P-PUP (assuming both are in the right place) are chalk and cheese to my ear, which is why I prefer Precisions.

perhaps I should add I do add a bit of distortion and tend to like a low mid sound rather than a really low bass sound, so it's probably the way I'm using them, the Jazz certainly loses bottom end when the bridge pick up is dialled in, but hey, the Squier Jazz is certainly great value for money, I've had a 90's MIM Jazz before and this one is loads better

Edited by PaulWarning

The P pickup on my US Jaguar sounds as fat as my US P bass. They're basically the same P bass sound.

The new US Jaguars are very versatile but some might be put off by the complicated controls. They're fine though, as long as you don't find the combination that leaves you with no output at all. That's a weakness I the design in my view.

Frank.

[quote name='Machines' timestamp='1453378442' post='2958872']
My 2 basses with J neck pickups do not sound like my bass with a P pickup. The P is a lot fatter and has more thump.

In the mix - I doubt those nuances would stand out so much.
[/quote]

I find that it's in the mix that those nuances are most evident

• 1 month later...

after being soundly thrashed for expressing the opinion that there wasn't much difference between a front pickup Jazz and a precision (a little impetuous on my part) at last nights gig I used my Squier Jazz for the first half and my MIA P for the second half, I asked the drummer if he could tell any difference to which he replied "the first one was a lot louder" I suppose he means it cut through better, which did piss me off a bit, the Squier Jazz cost £150 the MIA P £850 :(

Edited by PaulWarning

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1456657056' post='2991030']
after being soundly thrashed for expressing the opinion that there wasn't much difference between a front pickup Jazz and a precision (a little impetuous on my part) at last nights gig I used my Squier Jazz for the first half and my MIA P for the second half, I asked the drummer if he could tell any difference to which he replied "the first one was a lot louder" I suppose he means it cut through better, which did piss me off a bit, the Squier Jazz cost £150 the MIA P £850 :(
[/quote]

Don't worry about it. He's a drummer, so his hearing is ruined.