Why become a member? ×

Help me spend a grand.

Painy

So I've had a few amplifier issues recently (my Ampeg head is currently awaiting repair and my backup Behringer gear is getting me by for now but it's obviously not the same).
Now my good lady wife has some inheritance money coming soon and has kindly given me a budget of £1000 to get my amp situation sorted on the proviso that I get it sorted 'properly'. The question is now how to invest it wisely.
Basically I've considered going two ways - lightweight or even heavier weight.
The heavyweight option is a used big all valve head (probably an SVT CL) to use with my existing cabs.
The lightweight option is to replace the lot and go for a class d head and new cabs. At the moment I'm thinking a pair of Fender Rumble V3 2x10 cabs which would leave me around £400 for the amp.
Now I'm a big lover of the Ampeg sound so the PF800 is pretty high on my list but as I have a VT Bass pedal to help get that sound anyway I'd still consider other class d options.

Sooooooooo... Any suggestions or thoughts as to which way I should go or any other ideas as to what I should consider?

Edited by Painy

Guest bassman7755

Whether one can live without whatever it is that a "big iron" setup allegedly gives gives you that a lightweight/class d one doesn't, is one of the most hotly debated topics on here. Thing is something that only you can decide after trying out some of the gear. If you do decide to go for it I would say that you budget is a bit on the low side for a good lightweight setup and limits your options somewhat so IF you decide to go this route you might consider selling your existing gear to top it up a bit.

I guess if it was me and really couldn't decide, I would be making a list of the pro and cons and considering practicalities.

Also I would be thinking about where I would most likely be using it the most e.g. If I knew that most of my gigs were to be in cramped pub type situations, with difficult load in/outs, then I wouldn't be going for a big valve amp and an 8x10" set up.

+ A million to "Go And Try As Many Amps As You Can" after doing a list of contenders.
What suits one person may not suit you. I have tried just about every Class D amp going and didn't get on with them, but plenty of people on here do.
Gary Mac plan is the way forward in my mind.

I`ve been pretty impressed with the Ampeg SVT3-PRO. Absolutely love the sound, not too heavy, but really has some heft to the sound. A lot more "size" to the sound than from the PFs (which I must admit are great amps too).

But if wanting to go lightweight/Class D, and if you like Ampeg, Aguilar Tonehammers are great amps. Essentially a slightly more modern sounding Ampeg really. More size to their sound than from the PFs, can do a great amount of gain/drive without pedals, and are very light indeed.

This is all advice in the dark, but if you're stuck on the Ampeg sound the SVT3PRO and the PF800 are the only amps of theirs I'd look at. You could wait a couple of months for the Mesa Subway to come out and see what that can do for you. IME an Aguilar TH500 is a fantastic amp in the "vintage" bass sound area.

Looking at your gear list I think you can do better in the cab department. The Mesa Subway cabs look interesting but with the world of bass cabs evolving as it is I don't see any Ampeg cabs that interest me any more. I'd go for a loud and light 2x12.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1444038015' post='2879570']
This is all advice in the dark, but if you're stuck on the Ampeg sound the SVT3PRO and the PF800 are the only amps of theirs I'd look at. You could wait a couple of months for the Mesa Subway to come out and see what that can do for you. IME an Aguilar TH500 is a fantastic amp in the "vintage" bass sound area.

[/quote]
I agree with the TH500 being an alternative, potentially.
I could use a PF but it depends how you play..I'm less keen on the hard attack break-up aspect myself, but some guys would lap that up as a Must-have..

Should also add to my previous post that because my 210 cab is 4ohm this really limits the choice of amps that will run both this and the 15 cab together so given that most, if not all, class-d heads will only go down to 4 ohms total then this route would necessitate new cabs to go with the head. As my personal preference is for 10s I really fancy a pair of vertically stacked 210 cabs but my budget would obviously have to cover both. If I go with the rumble cabs this pretty much leaves these options as far as I can make out price wise:
PF800
Little Mark III
Rumble 500
MB500
BH550
VT Bass 500

As much as the TH500 does sound lovely it's a touch out of budget with the cost of the cabs too.

The flip side of course would be keeping my existing cabs and going all out with an SVT CL which would run them okay and more importantly would - for me at least - unquestionably be the ultimate amp for tone, but could eventually leave me having to carry my small intestine around in a bucket.

Decisions, decisions!

I don't think any lightweight amps will give anything like an all valve grumble and dynamic ... it's just a matter of how much your prepared to compromise for the size and weight....
Alternatively if you don't move it loads go heavy (like my vba400 for sale goes down to 2 ohms as well 😉)

Edited by chevy-stu

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1444070550' post='2880078']
You could get a splitter cable/box that will enable you to connect your two 4ohm cabs up to the amp. Our very own OBBM can make one of these up.
[/quote]

Funnily enough I was thinking about ways to modify the existing cabs (it's actually only the 2x10 that's 4ohms - the 15 is 8ohms so a rather annoying 2.67ohms total).
I was actually wondering about the possibility of making the 2 10" speakers switchable between series and parallel to choose between 4 and 8 ohms (drivers are 8ohms each). Would then draw the power equally into both cabs when used together or still allow the full power to be drawn from the amp if the 2x10 were used alone.

The only hurdle to this plan though is that I think I may now just be gassing for some shiny new cabs :D

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='Painy' timestamp='1444073089' post='2880119']
I was actually wondering about the possibility of making the 2 10" speakers switchable between series and parallel to choose between 4 and 8 ohms (drivers are 8ohms each).
[/quote]

With 2 8 ohm drivers the series wiring will be 16 ohm. Its not possible to wire 2 8ohm drivers for 8ohm total.

[quote name='bassman7755' timestamp='1444109530' post='2880274']

With 2 8 ohm drivers the series wiring will be 16 ohm. Its not possible to wire 2 8ohm drivers for 8ohm total.
[/quote]

How do I get a facepalm smiley? Would you believe physics was one of my A levels?!?

I think I've fried my brain trying to overthink this whole thing now! I think the only actual option of disconnecting one of the speakers to leave an 8ohm 1x10 in a great big box is clearly not really worthwhile either.

Oh well, shiny new cabs. Mmmmm.....

Edited by Painy

[quote name='Delberthot' timestamp='1444085932' post='2880243']
How about a Fender Rumble 500 combo and matching 2x10"?

My previous rig was a Hartke LH1000 and Laney 4x10" & 1x15" cabs and I prefer what I have now in terms of volume, weight and sound
[/quote]

It would be cheaper this way than buying the head seperately but I can't get on with control panels you look down on when it's stacked (fussy I know) but having played through the rumble combo whilst demoing some basses in the past, the head is definitely on my radar.

[quote name='Painy' timestamp='1444073089' post='2880119']
Funnily enough I was thinking about ways to modify the existing cabs (it's actually only the 2x10 that's 4ohms - the 15 is 8ohms so a rather annoying 2.67ohms total).
I was actually wondering about the possibility of making the 2 10" speakers switchable between series and parallel to choose between 4 and 8 ohms (drivers are 8ohms each). Would then draw the power equally into both cabs when used together or still allow the full power to be drawn from the amp if the 2x10 were used alone.

The only hurdle to this plan though is that I think I may now just be gassing for some shiny new cabs :D
[/quote]

Depends on the quality of the 10's, making the cab 16 ohms isn't that mad an idea.
The power bias would go to the cab on least resistance, which is real terms might be
15"/300 driver and 210"/350. The 15 would take more of the load and maybe give the whole
unit the 15" sound bias.
I do this with a 212/4 and 210/8 and it works well, IMO... but the amp can run to 2ohms
and the cabs are 600w and 350w respectively.

Maybe wire up the 210 and see how it goes when running the combined rig at fult tilt. That is about the only way
you are going to know, IMV.

Edited by JTUK

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='Painy' timestamp='1444112301' post='2880283']
Oh well, shiny new cabs. Mmmmm.....
[/quote]

Your 4 ohm 2x10 is always going to be a right pain in any modular setup, and you probably are better off with twin identical cabs, so all this is adding up to binning off your existing stuff ...

What exactly are your existing cabs ? - are they worth anything 2nd hand ?, if you could get enough from selling both cabs for even one of the 2x10 rumbles then you'l still have a good £700 left over from buying the second rumble cab to buy the amp with.

[quote name='bassman7755' timestamp='1444131850' post='2880502']

Your 4 ohm 2x10 is always going to be a right pain in any modular setup, and you probably are better off with twin identical cabs, so all this is adding up to binning off your existing stuff ...

What exactly are your existing cabs ? - are they worth anything 2nd hand ?, if you could get enough from selling both cabs for even one of the 2x10 rumbles then you'l still have a good £700 left over from buying the second rumble cab to buy the amp with.
[/quote]

The impedance is definitely a nuisance already. The backup behringer gear I mentioned in my OP is actually 2 heads having to run a cab each because of it so not ideal at all!

The 15 is an SVT15E Classic so probably around £150-£200 at a guess but it was a gift from my mum when she was alive.
The 2x10 I've no idea as it was an Ampeg BA500 combo but the section which housed the amp has been cut off and then re-tolexed as the whole thing together was a back breaking 95lbs.
As it is I may have found a used TH500 in budget :)

It sounds to me like your 210 is the problem. I'd suggest keeping the 115 as it has sentimental value then either get another one or go for a suitable 210 to match with it (depending on where you stand on the mixing speaker size argument), selling the 210 & VT pedal then buy a Tech-21 VT500 amp (or whatever it's called). That way you'll be able to get the Ampeg-ish sound & have two nice cabs.

I think I know which way I'm gonna go with this now. I plan to get my Ampeg amp repaired if its not a complete rightoff and keep the existing rig as it is to be my heavyweight rig and then go with the rumble cabs and a used TH500 as my lightweight rig so I have the choice between the two depending on the gig.

My only real concern now is if a 500w class D head and 2 210 cabs is gonna keep up comfortably in a (very) loud rock band (2 100w Marshall half stacks and a hard hitting drummer - kit is normally miced but we just use backline for bass/guitars).
My 500w Ampeg (not quite getting that in full mind due of course to the 2.67ohm thing) has never broken a sweat to keep up but equal in wattage terms obviously doesn't necessarily mean equal in volume.

Any thoughts?