Why become a member? ×

Having trouble with your 5 string??

TheGreek

I kept expecting to see his knee caps go flying across the room or the floor to give out under the immense weight of that monster.

Presumably he can't play it sitting down in case he severs a leg.

Kudos to anyone who does the super extended range thing, but I find the prospect daunting, verging on downright intimidating.

There will always threads like this while we keep referring to these instruments as basses. They really should have some sort of title of their own like 'extended range guitar' (ERG) or something. The grey area would be in deciding at which point a bass becomes an ERG I guess. If, purely hypothetically, you could make something like a double bass but which could cover the range of a viola and a violin I doubt many people would call it a double [i]bass[/i].

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1443602748' post='2876033']
There will always threads like this while we keep referring to these instruments as basses. They really should have some sort of title of their own like 'extended range guitar' (ERG) or something.
[/quote]

You mean like "extended range bass" (ERB) which is what they're currently referred to as?

I imagine that if they were made with guitar-scaled necks they would be referred to as ERGs, as they'd be guitars with more strings stuck on. In this case, they're basses with more strings stuck on.

Love the toilet flush at 5:10. Also the World's Biggest Scrunchy at the first fret.

As to the bass itself, really not my thang but it's clear that he has his head sorted as to what he's doing and why, and that's really all that matters.

I have to say that, quite apart from not liking ERBs and such, I really hated the tone of that bass. Nothing to do with it being an ERB or with his playing, just many miles away from what I look for in one of my own basses.

This is not intended as a slight as I say this as someone who performs solo using an unusual instrument, but the thing that I find frustrating about ERBs is that the material played is as much about the instrument as it is the music.

I guess I need to see a composer/performer playing their own genre specific material where the ERB instrument no longer matters.

On a similar note I can almost tolerate Michael manrings hyperbass stuff (I do like the more gentle ambient styled pieces) but I just wish they weren't preceeded by a lecture about the instrument itself.

Edited by Jecklin

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1443604244' post='2876054']
You mean like "extended range bass" (ERB) which is what they're currently referred to as?
[/quote]

No idea they were tbh don't call seeing it but then I don't think any artist I'm really interested in uses them. Ah well, as you were...

Edited by KevB

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1443602748' post='2876033']
There will always threads like this while we keep referring to these instruments as basses. They really should have some sort of title of their own like 'extended range guitar' (ERG) or something. The grey area would be in deciding at which point a bass becomes an ERG I guess. If, purely hypothetically, you could make something like a double bass but which could cover the range of a viola and a violin I doubt many people would call it a double [i]bass[/i].
[/quote]

They already have a name, they're called ERB's - extended range basses.

Generally anything after a 5 string is an ERB, so 6 strings and upwards (string wise).

[quote name='Jecklin' timestamp='1443607855' post='2876107']
This is not intended as a slight as I say this as someone who performs solo using an unusual instrument, but the thing that I find frustrating about ERBs is that the material played is as much about the instrument as it is the music.

I guess I need to see a composer/performer playing their own genre specific material where the ERB instrument no longer matters.

On a similar note I can almost tolerate Michael manrings hyperbass stuff (I do like the more gentle ambient styled pieces) but I just wish they weren't preceeded by a lecture about the instrument itself.
[/quote]

Have you heard Yves Carbonne's stuff ?

He did a nice album a few years ago with Michael Manring and Dominique Di Piazza.

[quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1443606009' post='2876087']
I'm FB friends with French virtuoso (and fellow lefty) Yves Carbonne, who plays a 12-string bass [i]and[/i] a 2-string bass he's just had specially made for himself by Letts.

[url="https://www.facebook.com/yvescarbonneofficial"]https://www.facebook...arbonneofficial[/url]

[/quote]

I'm friends with him too, he's an amazing musician.

Have you heard this [url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Carbonne-Di-Piazza-Manring/dp/B00125WC4O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1443744556&sr=8-1&keywords=carbonne+manring"]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Carbonne-Di-Piazza-Manring/dp/B00125WC4O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1443744556&sr=8-1&keywords=carbonne+manring[/url]

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1443791797' post='2877748']
... and that's why I prefer a piano.
[/quote]

Sorted: http://www.gak.co.uk/en/korg-rk-100s-keytar-red/93243?gclid=CjwKEAjw1riwBRD61db6xtWTvTESJACoQ04QBPtYTd2QAzVZQeFZ5oOySvz0RJ0QcC3I7lUw665HUBoC_-bw_wcB