Why become a member? ×

Maruszczyk Jake PJ / 1971 Precison comparison - can you tell which is which?

wateroftyne

[quote name='Romeo2' timestamp='1443546185' post='2875722']
Nope, can't tell a difference really; those who say they can hear it, hmm, I wonder if you still said that if the files were merged into one with no pause in between, and OP just saying, hey listen to this great drummer I just jammed with last weekend ...
[/quote]

Probably not!

[quote name='stevie' timestamp='1443598372' post='2875966']
Hmmm. I'm not imagining things. Bass number two sounds more expensive than bass number one. It's a fuller, rounder sound with more character. There's a lovely growl on the lower notes. If number two isn't the vintage Fender, then it should be.
[/quote]

You put my thoughts into words the way I never could! :-P

I wonder whether everyone is using headphones, or laptop speakers, or desk speakers etc.? I used headphones, and could hear a difference, but it was definitely subtle.

Edited by allighatt0r

[quote name='allighatt0r' timestamp='1443600172' post='2875996']
I wonder whether everyone is using headphones, or laptop speakers, or desk speakers etc.? I used headphones, and could hear a difference, but it was definitely subtle.
[/quote]

Good point; I'm using relatively decent headphones & there is a very clear difference (though whether that difference could just be done using an EQ & a bit of processing I don't know) but if I were listening through cheapy headphones or laptop speakers it'd probably be much more difficult to hear (which is one of the reasons I think youtube demos of bass amps are pointless).

I don't know which is which but I preferred #1, seems a bit more lively in the upper mids, #2 is fatter/warmer.

Since I have no idea what the pickup is like in the Jake, I'm going to say #1 is the P since 70's pickups are supposedly a bit lighter on the low end and more growly up top.

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1443603712' post='2876045']
I don't know which is which but I preferred #1, seems a bit more lively in the upper mids, #2 is fatter/warmer.

Since I have no idea what the pickup is like in the Jake, I'm going to say #1 is the P since 70's pickups are supposedly a bit lighter on the low end and more growly up top.
[/quote]

Boom!

[quote name='stevie' timestamp='1443598372' post='2875966']
Bass number two sounds more expensive than bass number one. It's a fuller, rounder sound with more character. There's a lovely growl on the lower notes. If number two isn't the vintage Fender, then it should be.
[/quote]

And it was the Jake. Hmmmm.... Food for thought indeed! :gas:

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1443617713' post='2876268']
And it was the Jake. Hmmmm.... Food for thought indeed! :gas:
[/quote]
Indeed so! And it makes a mockery of the saying 'You get what you pay for!" Now that I know which is which, I also still prefer the cheaper one.

Congratulations to those who got it right.

Obviously a P-Bass has certain sound characteristics but it is not as tho all of them by the same maker sound the same..
so the difference between the 2 examples are just that..THE two examples recorded.
Put another two up from the same makers and I'd be pretty sure they'd have sound differences.

When I buy a bass... I'll need to hear and play it to know if I like it...all other bets are off
so I am very very reluctant to buy blind.
I'd be more inclined to buy unseen/played the more money I spent... but not for production models.

Edited by JTUK

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1443626072' post='2876385']
Obviously a P-Bass has certain sound characteristics but it is not as tho all of them by the same maker sound the sound..
so the difference between the 2 examples are just that..THE two examples recorded.
Put another two up from the same makers and I'd be pretty sure they'd have sound differences.
[/quote]

Oi fink we noe dat :-)