Why become a member? ×

playing standing up

Funky Dunky

Why can't I do it?

Sitting down, I can jam through some Rush, Chili Peppers, Jamiroquai, Chic and even a couple of Level 42 songs.

Standing up? I can barely play along with a Nirvana song without slopping it up. I'm thinking it must be something to do with hand position, but my instrument is at the same position as it is when I sit down. What on earth could the problem be? I can't get any speed or control in my plucking, can't get the nice ticklish light touch I use for fast playing. If I raise the bass up to a position where it's so high I could pluck with my tongue, I do a little better, but my left hand is suddenly in an uncomfortable position where I can't get freedom of movement.

Edited by Funky Dunky

I used to be the same.
But i used to try to play it in a position i thought looked "cool".
Placed it at the height to mimic where it would be if i were sitting down, and i dont have a problem anymore.
Do you notice if you sometimes tilt it back towards you when sitting down?
So you can inadvertently see the fretboard?
When your standing up this doesn't happen, so is it this you're struggling with?
Could it be something to do with the angle you have it at when sitting down?
What leg do you rest it on?
I ask, because if you're right handed, but rest it on your left knee ( a kind of classical trait i'd say), it'd be tilted at a harsher angle than when you are standing up.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1443451198' post='2874788']
Practise and more practise. Remember, bass players do it standing up with a strap-on...
[/quote]

That's not actually written down anywhere; there's no fundamental reason for not playing on stage seated; lots of musicians do so. Some drummers, even, or so I'm told. :mellow:

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1443453677' post='2874823']
Practice the material the way you will be playing it, be that standing or sitting.
[/quote]

This.

If you're just a bedroom player then it probably doesn't matter if you can't play standing up. If you intend to play live standing up then that's how you need to practice. You could arrange your strap so the instrument is at the same height whether you are sitting or standing. However you need to check your overall body posture, you may be hunched over or in some other position that can't be replicated standing.

If you need to be able to play standing up you need to stop practicing when sitting down. Otherwise it doesn't really matter.

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1443453459' post='2874817']
This gives you the added bonus of being able to try out your dance moves before unleashing them on the public...
[/quote]

Jet Harris' secret...

Also helps you learn not to keep looking at hour hands on stage.
And less beer, means a flatter belly, so the bass will not be tilted outwards at the top when you stand up.

Edited by BILL POSTERS

I seem to be able to get away with sitting down to practice but stand up for gigs, doesn't usually bother me. The bass is pretty much in the same position either way though which helps. I practice more standing up at the moment because I've started using midi pedals again and always play those standing. You cant really play them seated and play bass even though they are originally designed to be played sitting down by a keys player! Of course there will be some youtube clip somewhere of someone doing Rush stuff whilst sitting down! :D

Edited by KevB

[quote name='BILL POSTERS' timestamp='1443456917' post='2874862']
Also helps you learn not to keep looking at hour hands on stage.
[/quote]

IME it doesn't help at all. Back in the 90s my band of the time used to rehearse at a studio where all of one wall was a giant mirror. I got really good at being able to play looking forward rather than down at my hands. Until we came to do our first gig and then realised I been looking at my hands in the mirror and without it was back to looking down at them again.

[quote name='BILL POSTERS' timestamp='1443453227' post='2874814']
Drink less beer ?

Seriously though, try practicing standing up, but with a mirror in front of you.
[/quote]

Agreed, It's something I learned a long time ago. Invest some stand up time into your practice routine.

It's much harder to play standing up than sitting down.

Blue