Why become a member? ×

Does anyone not listen to music ?

ambient

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1442861414' post='2870110']
You need silence so you can listen to the music in your head.
[/quote]

The voices are louder though.

Radio 4 in the car - used to switch over to Planet Rock while Thought for the Day was on, but now it's Absolute Music and there's some sort of phone-in going on at that time, Radio 2 has Chris Evans so it's a bit of a lottery as to whether I'll hear some music, and BRMB is Brummies phoning in.

Don't listen much at home. Mostly it's to learn stuff or see if I think it would be good for us to do (lest it be thought I have a dictatorship, we all have a say about that).

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1442930438' post='2870647']
The voices are louder though.

Radio 4 in the car - used to switch over to Planet Rock.............[/quote]

I've just started listening to Planet Rock again, between the hours of 2 'till 5pm.

It's better than listening to Steve Wright on R2 desperately trying to sound still "with it*" (* fingers quote marks) with the "hands up" that wasn't even funny the sixth time he did it - though if I could fight the tedium it would be semi-interesting to count how many times he plugs "serious-jockin" (no "g") that should have been a one-off gag not still trying to trend it over a year later.

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1442951103' post='2870928'] I've just started listening to Planet Rock again, between the hours of 2 'till 5pm.[/quote]

On digital? Since it went to Absolute Music, the phone-ins get in the way of the morning music and the music itself has got a bit blander.

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1442992788' post='2871127']
On digital? Since it went to Absolute Music, the phone-ins get in the way of the morning music and the music itself has got a bit blander.
[/quote]

Yeah, on DAB,
tbh it's just background music but I can't say as I noticed any phone-ins. Yesterday aft. they did Quiet Riots "Cum On Feel The Noize" cover then Slade's "Mama Weer All Crazee Now" back to back, which was a bit of a nostalgia attack for me.
Planet Rock used to have a fairly good forum attached to it's site but it disappeared for some reason, maybe the Absolute thing, I hadn't heard of that.

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1442997057' post='2871190']
Yeah, on DAB,
tbh it's just background music but I can't say as I noticed any phone-ins.
[/quote]

That's because Planet Rock went all-digital, Absolute Phone-in took over the Planet Rock frequency on FM.

I nearly always have music playing.
iPod when I'm in the office, on a stereo when I'm at home.
On weekends I'll have breakfast while listening to stuff on the hi-fi.
Cds in the car.

I don't think there's been a day in the last 20 years that I haven't listened to music.

Never the radio though, Not since John Peel died.

Edited by bartelby

I listen to music when I have time to focus on the music - like when you put an LP on and had to actively listen, and change sides after 20 minutes. Music is special, but unfortunately it's all too pervasive now, too much like 'lift muzak'. The space without music lets me appreciate music more when I listen or play it . . . And if I listen to a lot of music, my next composition comes out sounding just like the music I've been listening to, so when I'm in a writing mood, I tend not to listen to other people's music.

It's probably also a function of the amount of music out there, new and old. And we're guilty of adding to the pile of music to be played . . . little wonder that even offering free downloads of our (admittedly self-produced) original music has resulted in very few downloads.

I can't get enough music. I am surrounded by people who conspire against me in this regard. We have no music playing device in the house that doesn't require headphones to play (i.e. you cannot listen to it unless you are sat at a computer so listening whilst cooking, cleaning etc is not practical. My wife hates Jazz so, even if I could listen, it would only be when she is not there which is rare. I cannot listen in work as we have shared spaces. She also gets the arse if I wear them when I walk the dogs so that is out (I have to say I agree with her in this regard as walking dogs needs all your faculties!!).

So I listen to music on my ipod when driving/trevelling and when walking through town to get my lunch and I get some in when I am in my music shed working on stuff/transcribing etc. I reckon its only about 2 hours a day but sometimes more if I am out and about. Could easily be 6 or 7 hours a day if I had my way.

I very rarely listen to music these days, and even when I do I don't really get anything from it. More often than not I'll turn it off after a few minutes because I'm just not interested. I've been gradually losing interest in music for about 15 years now. It used to be everything to me, now it's just more noise to try & get away from.
If somebody had told me when I was in my teens/early twenties that one day I'd not listen to music I'd have never believed it.

[quote name='bartelby' timestamp='1443116895' post='2872410']
I don't think there's been a day in the last 20 years that I haven't listened to music.
[/quote]

This is true for me as well. However, I can go for several days where the only music I listen to is my own band - either working on writing new songs or listening to new mixes/masters/test pressings/video edits in order to make sure they are right.

As I said in my first post in this thread, the more involved and excited I am about the the music of the band I'm currently playing in the less time and inclination I have to listen to other people's music.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1443180557' post='2872870']
However, I can go for several days where the only music I listen to is my own band - either working on writing new songs or listening to new mixes/masters/test pressings/video edits in order to make sure they are right.
[/quote]

I can't listen to my own band's stuff, exclusively, for that long.
I'll get tired of hearing it, an hour or so of someone else helps stop that.

I found my self agreeing with a lot of this that I read recently:

[quote]As a rule, I hate other bands.

Quite seriously.

It happens less often these days, but when people interview you because you're in a band they always want to talk about other bands - what have I been listening to? what new bands are good? what's your album of the year? I never know what to say because I hate other bands, new ones especially. My album of the year is always whichever album I have made that year and I haven't been listening to anything except podcasts from America where one of them has a boring name and sounds like Randy Newman and the other one has a name like Grussbaum Snuzzibatch and sounds like a more sincere Chandler off Friends.

I hate other bands. If I liked other bands, I wouldn't have had to form a band in the first place. That's why you form a band - because all these other bands just don't cut it and if no one else is going to make the records that need making it'll just have to be you.

Music journalists don't understand that about bands - they think bands share an interest with them. But we don't. We hate other bands. We wish other bands would f*** right off.[/quote]

Read the full article [url=http://www.indelicates.com/worthless/]here[/url] it's fairly enlightening although only the opening that I've reproduced above relates directly to the OP.

I'm always listening to music. In fact I get annoyed at my mate, our guitarist, who seems to live in the past and won't give new music a chance. I love lots of new stuff but still appreciate the old. There's nothing I like better than hearing obscure, good music!

[quote name='Kevin Dean' timestamp='1442661266' post='2868560']
I thought it was only me
[/quote]

Same here. I was an avid LP and CD collector for decades. Over the last ten or fifteen years (I'm sixty) I find that I seldom put on an LP or CD with the intention of just listening and chilling out.

I'm in a covers band, so don't spend that much time listening to the music we play, other than when listening to the tracks I record when we're working on them.

I haven't listened to radio for more than a few minutes this century (in a hire car perhaps until I remember that no matter how many different stations I tune into, it's rare they'll be playing anything I enjoy).

On the other hand, my iTunes has over 36,000 tracks and I spent a lot of my time listening to those (I work from home, so either I'm at my desk listening or I'm travelling for work, so I'm listening to my iPod through the car stereo). If I'm away from home I often listen (as in properly listen) to music in bed before I drift off to sleep.

I also read a couple of music magazines and usually follow up on bands that I think might be interesting. I've found far more interesting new music that way that I ever did from the radio.