Why become a member? ×

Phil Jones Class D now as well!

fretmeister

[quote name='Naetharu' timestamp='1442145719' post='2864637']
Out of interest, what's the deal with the mids on the EQ here - odd that it's only for cutting them?
[/quote]
Good spot. I guess if you play with the overall volume and boost and cut bass and treble you should be able to get everything you would want...

I have one of his tiny combos, it's a pretty amazing amp.

I saw the new head on Facebook the other day, it does look interesting, I'll be in the market for a larger amp in a few weeks or so for a function band that I've joined. I was thinking of one of his bigger combos, but maybe a head and one of his cabs instead ?

[quote name='Naetharu' timestamp='1442145719' post='2864637']
Out of interest, what's the deal with the mids on the EQ here - odd that it's only for cutting them?
[/quote]
[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1442149317' post='2864671']
A lot do that without telling you! Or at least the 12 O clock position is not flat but already reduced.
[/quote]

The mid control on the Demeter is passive, i.e. cut only. I generally run it at 3 o'clock, which should equate to a slight cut but sounds right to me. I expect it has a lot to do with what the treble and bass controls are getting up to at the same time.

I'm a big fan of PJB kit, and of Class D heads. Have to say that, other than a styling exercise, this doesn't do much for me.

My first Class D was the Eden WTX350, maybe eight years ago, and that looks (on paper) to be a match for this PJB unit.

Not sure why this very expensive head would be preferred to a GK or Markbass or etc. etc. etc.

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1442180986' post='2865017']
The mid control on the Demeter is passive, i.e. cut only. I generally run it at 3 o'clock, which should equate to a slight cut but sounds right to me. I expect it has a lot to do with what the treble and bass controls are getting up to at the same time.
[/quote]

On My Demeter I tend to have the mids at about 10 o clock and the treble at 9. And in 'dark' mode.

But then again my basses are quite bright and have steel rounds on most of them.

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1442233702' post='2865317']
On My Demeter I tend to have the mids at about 10 o clock and the treble at 9. And in 'dark' mode.

But then again my basses are quite bright and have steel rounds on most of them.
[/quote]

I'll check mine...but I started with them all quite pronounced except the bass which was on about 10...and I've backed them all off now..
I like this. It is subtle but works. First time out with the D and I got lots of nice comments which was nice..altho I think fine tweaking is still in order.
Basically the amp is classy so things can only get 'better', IMO.

NEw facebook pic today

With some sales patter:

"[color=#141823][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]PJB D400 - Digital Bass Amplifier[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#141823][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]Weight: 2.9 pounds[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#141823][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]Power: more than 400 watts RMS into 4 ohms.[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#141823][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]This amp has more tone and better built (with the best quality components available) than any other bass amp in its class. I promise no other brand bass amp of this power will even come close to its sound.[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#141823][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]Available: December 2015. Price TBA."[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#141823][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]In the discussion PJB claims that it will replace a Mesa 400+[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#141823][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]Bold claims indeed....[/size][/font][/color]

• 1 month later...

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1442414494' post='2866798']
[color=#141823][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]PJB D400 - [i][b]Digital[/b][/i] Bass Amplifier[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#141823][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]Power: more than 400 watts [i][b]RMS[/b][/i] into 4 ohms.[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#141823][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]Bold claims indeed....[/size][/font][/color]
[/quote]

Indeed. A pity about the blurb.

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1442414494' post='2866798']
[color=#141823][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]In the discussion PJB claims that it will replace a Mesa 400+[/size][/font][/color]
[/quote]

I used to run a Boogie head. I was thrilled when I got something lighter. But it was never a like for like replacement. Talk about putting pressure on your own product!

I've only just seen this one, and I'm not in the market for the head, but I particularly liked the cla[size=4]im "[color=#141823][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]This amp has more tone...than any other bass amp in its class." [/font][/color][/size]

[size=4][color=#141823][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]More tone? That's what we need! Not happy with your tone? You need more of it! :D[/font][/color][/size]