Why become a member? ×

Small Mini Bass Guitar

Hokeypokey

Hi, hoping someone can help. Can anyone recommend a v small bass guitar? (Smaller than a 3/4 size please) Or know of a UK stockist? I've found one on an American website, but can't seem to locate any in the UK. The one from the US is as follows, 24 3/4" scale mini bass guitar for kids and travel. Lightweight with a thin body, only 31.5" overall length. Neck is narrow for easy play. Strings spacing at the bridge is only 2" (instead of the usual 2 1/4").
Ideally looking to spend no more than £150
I'd be really grateful for any help or suggestions.
Thanks v much.

Westfield, when they were in business, produced a small Precision with a 24" scale. I acquired one from this Forum last year with the intention of giving it to my Grandson one day but it is really quite good and I'm having second thoughts especially after a set up and new set of string which I cut down and unwound from a full-scale set.

They do come up on Ebay and Gumtree occasionally.

Edited by obbm

I have a Kala Uke bass
and it's amazing
Loud enough to hear yourself just jamming away

But when plugged into an amp - Wow!
It sounds amazing. Really light weight and tiny and compact to carry around

The only thing I'd say as a bit of a negative, is the rubber strings take a bit of getting used to
I'd still prefer the rubber strings to the synthetic gut types though
as I find there's a lot less "drag" and you don't need to cover your hands with talcum powder,
like you do for some synthetic strings
It's only a minor point anyway - I'd recommend trying one :)

Good luck in your search

If you can stretch to 26" then have a look at the Fernandes Pie-Zo (also called the Nomad in the US). Has a built-in amp and speaker and comes in a variety of finishes with a special set of limited edition ones each year.

Here's mine with the limited edition Gothic Hello Kitty finish:

Edited by BigRedX

Full size neck but small body:

[url="http://www.gak.co.uk/en/hofner-shorty-electric-travel-bass/86733?gclid=CjwKEAjw67SvBRC1m5zPv4GboAUSJAB6MJlkfZw5ARn2-jAbF6d2nNJbPmNSGs5SGCi1Bl021INKQBoCJGbw_wcB"]http://www.gak.co.uk/en/hofner-shorty-electric-travel-bass/86733?gclid=CjwKEAjw67SvBRC1m5zPv4GboAUSJAB6MJlkfZw5ARn2-jAbF6d2nNJbPmNSGs5SGCi1Bl021INKQBoCJGbw_wcB[/url]

Edited by yorks5stringer

[quote name='Hokeypokey' timestamp='1441635151' post='2860435']
Thanks, just been having a wee look, can find Tanglewood Elf guitars, but there doesn't seem to be a bass out there Wondering if they're rarer than hens teeth?!
[/quote]

Have you tried asking a Tanglewood dealer if they can order you one? Chances are, anyone who stocks Tangelwood stuff in general could get hold of one for you - probably just not enough demand to warrant them keeping stock.

[quote name='hubrad' timestamp='1441641020' post='2860503']
Check this one out: [url="http://www.jimmypowells.co.uk/classic25bass.html"]http://www.jimmypowe...ssic25bass.html[/url]
Jimmy's a decent chap to talk to, so worth a phone call at least.
[/quote]

Love the look of these....
Hmmm, have I got more GAS building up? - Oh no! ;)

Thanks for sharing that link

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1441642016' post='2860517']
If you can stretch to 26" then have a look at the Fernandes Pie-Zo (also called the Nomad in the US). Has a built-in amp and speaker and comes in a variety of finishes with a special set of limited edition ones each year.

Here's mine with the limited edition Gothic Hello Kitty finish:

[/quote]

[quote name='Hokeypokey' timestamp='1441709556' post='2861020']
Love the Fernandes Pie-Zo - thanks for sharing.
[/quote]

I've just had a look at the [url=http://www.fernandes.co.jp/products/zo/pie-zo.html]Fernandes Site[/url] and the specifications have changed quite a bit for the current range. The Pie-Zo appears to have been replaced by the Zo-3 Bass which has a magnetic pickup and an increased 30" scale length. You should still be able to find the older Pie-Zo models second hand though. The best place to look is the Ishibashi Ubox.

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' timestamp='1441716177' post='2861111']
Nobody mentioned the Ashbory yet? I've never played one but some seem to like them.
[/quote]

Yes, don't forget the Ashbory
Mind you, I had one and didn't like it anywhere near as much as my Kala U-Bass
Also remember, the body of the Ashbory is very minimal, with no resonant chamber
So you really do need an amp, even when jamming at home

With my Kala, I find it's loud enough to noodle along to the radio or TV without an amp
Most of the other basses above seem to have some sort of resonant chamber

The Ashbory is most likely smaller than the others in that respect
As I say, I really didn't get on with mine for several reasons
But that may be me - if you see one around - give it a try if you can....

PS. When I bought my Ashbory second-hand, there didn't seem to be any for sale in the UK

[quote name='cybertect' timestamp='1441729795' post='2861291']
Fender (who owned the rights via DeArmond) stopped making them in July 2012
[/quote]

Yes, I was aware of that. The odd thing was that you were able to buy them in Europe
or in the USA, but not in the UK
Stocks elsewhere also seemed to be plentiful enough
And you could buy them from a US guitar shop on ebay, for many months afterwards,
with plenty of choice of colour.

I'd met a guy who bought one from a guitar shop in the states, while on holiday there
and he said there were loads in stock at that time

Perhaps UK stocks were first to sell out?
Or perhaps the UK hadn't imported sufficient numbers?

When I was searching for one, local guitar shops said they couldn't get hold of any

[quote name='Hokeypokey' timestamp='1441635151' post='2860435']
Thanks, just been having a wee look, can find Tanglewood Elf guitars, but there doesn't seem to be a bass out there Wondering if they're rarer than hens teeth?!
Would ideally like a bass guitar, but a ukulele is a second option.
[/quote]The model number is EB-18.