Why become a member? ×

Please lock the thread or remove I have said all ineed to say thanks Worse gig ,I've ever played?

kevvo66

This probley been said a thousand times before ,last nights gig really was the worse gig ever ,it was a saw dust pub with the smallest stage ever and I mean small ,the dick head oh sorry landlord was w***ing off about how he was a sound engineer and his brother was a bassist but no name came forward 3 half hour sets ,after the first set he insisted to my guitarist that my bass was out off tune .well I was, I was up a tone , he could not grasp this concept so I finished the rest of the sets by just playing route notes no runs , then he tells us he knows people in the music industry by this time we had all lost the will to live and wanted too go home ,the end of the night couldn't have come faster enough ,he won't asking us back , and I won't be going back ,so if you ever get asked to play a gig in crewe cheshire ,don't bother or put on where it is for a heads up ,rant over thanks

Edited by kevvo66

Hiya lurksalot ,all are good apart from the rising sun on Earle street saw dust pub and full of undesirables ruffians ,that's why my youngest brother wouldn't come with his mates cause the landlords a dick and he did criticise our guitarist also

Edited by kevvo66

[quote name='kevvo66' timestamp='1441557930' post='2859802']
Hiya Roland rock , just a smidgen on the strings little sharper so not really a tone
[/quote]

I have heard of lead players in country & western bands years ago doing that in order to cut through, never head of it for Bass though. And only a quarter tone.

Edited by Slipperydick

Yes it was to fall in line with my other band members,if you heard us you understand as a trio I have fill sound out a bit more ,so on some songs ill fill out that sound that a second guitarist would hope thats cleared that up +we like give our own twist too songs ,hope that helps+ the bass can be used anyway you like you just gotta try stuff sometimes it works sometime it dont ,i remember seeing someone with a bass capoed but it worked ,that was new to me , but then thought thats sounds great ,so the days of eadg have gone I play standard tuning live but not in my owm time

Edited by kevvo66

That's an interesting concept. So are you trying to create a natural chorus effect between you and the guitar player? That could be a risky ploy. I imagine that it's a very fine line between spaceyness and just sounding horribly out of tune. Don't reckon I'd ever be brave enough to try it and would either just live with a straight trio sound or throw a chorus and tremolo pedal in on occasion to add texture...

Its in earle street perhaps my sounds a bit trippey lol i,m over it now so onwards and upwards thanks everyone ,now looking to my weekend gig,we all gad a talk yesterday and we are auditioning for a keyboard so I can just get on with playing and not trying to do a million things at once including backing vocals

Playing out of tune is bound to make people think you are a bad player. It's craziness! It's flawed physics anyway. If both musical illiterates and other musicians perceive it as out of tune, then it's bad practice. If I'd heard a bass player tuned sharp enough to make me aware, I too might have said something if the opportunity arose. You are going to get all sorts of weird beating with the guitars bottom strings and while maybe it's a valid effect from bands with a brilliant PA and sympathetic person out front, in a pub, it's just (in my humble opinion) a technique that will be misunderstood and make you look like a bad player. I've been playing bass for 40 years now, and this is the first time I have heard of this 'trick'.

My own worst gig was with a mixer doing foh and monitors side stage, run by a female who was clueless, and didn;t understand the concept of monitors at all - hearing feedback and turning down gains, removing a totally DI'd keyboard from the mix. I played 45 minutes by touch and eye, my bass amp totally inaudible, the keys totally missing and none of my voice in the mons at all. It was simply terrible, and painful.How can you play bass, and sing four part harmonies when none of you can hear anyone else?

Edited by paulears

I'm sure the sound engineers gender had nothing to do with your bad experience!

Bad sound really can ruin a gig. Quite often on shared gigs I find that there's a load of drums in the monitors, so you get ringing and boomy toms just adding low end rumble the whole time. It kills the enjoyment for me

Yes paul I hear what your saying ,but this fella in question is a twonk and not a musician I think he was having a bad day tuned up just a smidgen and not over the top he must have the hearing of a dog if he could tell ,I've been playing a few years myself ,ironic he's phoned my drummer today and said it was shame really our sound was off my mate filmed the sets I am going to admit it wasn't great I was show boating with my drummer our second set was fine our third set was good so no strange tuning now well not live anyhow I do tend to over complicate things sometimes and put my own twist on stuff I tend to do this when my bottle goes nerves I think ,I also spat my dummy out .I need to chill ones beans 😀

Edited by kevvo66

You see for me, personally, I'm either bang on in tune or its like someone's crapped in my ears. Seriously, it dements me if I, or anyone else is "even a smidgen" out of tune....

Only Two rules really.... one, be in tune your self, two, be in tune with everyone else.

Leave the experiments for the jazz club ;)

Edited by Wonky2