Why become a member? ×

All the gear and no-eye-dear

MiltyG565

[quote name='bassman7755' timestamp='1442341392' post='2866250']

We tend to forget that guitars and bases are very cheap compared to brass and classical instruments, people who I know who have played sax for example say they wouldn't touch anything under about 1.5k
[/quote]

The construction of those instruments is usually by hand and the tone is very dependent on construction and materials.

Couldn't give two shits if anyone out front knows how much my gear cost.... It's how comfortable it is for me to play and that usually brings out the best in my playing..... And that's what they should be hearing...
But this view does fall on its arse as soon as you plug in the squire p bass which may be set up sweet and play beautifully, but the output is just thin and hollow sounding???
Amplification/ cabinet is important , I'm sure I can get great tones from my mesa that would be just impossible from an old Carlsbo or the HandH I had 25 years ago when I started.....why would my bass be any different.

End of the day it's horses for courses..... I have it coz i likes it.

[quote name='Wonky2' timestamp='1442434849' post='2867003']
But this view does fall on its arse as soon as you plug in the squire p bass which may be set up sweet and play beautifully, but the output is just thin and hollow sounding???
[/quote]

What are you saying here? Seems contentious, snobby and provocative on the surface but perhaps it's just badly worded?

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1441484642' post='2859231']
Fantastic bit of gear snobbery regarding cheap basses, though.

[/quote]
[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1441314369' post='2857932']
... Ped wouldn't have any money to buy nice cakey things from Greggs...
[/quote]
Veering slightly OT, but kinda still very much following on there, Ped uses Greggs? Shocking! Never set foot in the place myself, unless there's nowt else! :ph34r:

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1442479666' post='2867205']

What are you saying here? Seems contentious, snobby and provocative on the surface but perhaps it's just badly worded?
[/quote]

Scratch beneath that surface and it says the same thing.... Nothing snobby or provocative about it, it's just my opinion having attempted to play with both.

Not trying to provoke anyone :)

Edited by Wonky2

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1442355843' post='2866388']
The construction of those instruments is usually by hand and the tone is very dependent on construction and materials.
[/quote]

The ins and outs of why the various instruments cost what they do is beside the point, which is ...

How can spending a couple of grand on a bass be viewed in some way as "excessive" when this is the sort of amount routinely spent on a brass or classical instrument.

Edited by bassman7755

[quote name='bassman7755' timestamp='1442519761' post='2867590']

The ins and outs of why the various instruments cost what they do is beside the point, which is ...

How can spending a couple of grand on a bass be viewed in some way as "excessive" when this is the sort of amount routinely spent on a brass or classical instrument.
[/quote]

Ok. We could take Flutes. My wife plays flute. Grade 8 standard.
Her flute was £3,600 in the mid 90s. About that time you could buy a student flute for around £250.
Current prices suggest around £5k and £500.

I can assure you that all musical instruments have budget and proffesional end instruments.

Excessive is really dependant on your viewpoint but the difference in instruments is remarkable and obvious even to a non player.

Is a Rolex at £70k excessive? My watch was £250, and my backup watch was £80. My running watch, however, was a bit more pricey.

This thread is more of an interesting look at human nature and how different we all are than a pure discussion on the merits of different basses.

[quote name='mrtcat' timestamp='1442916886' post='2870430']
I'm amazed anyone uses his studio at all. One wrong comment and he'll lambast you on youtube.
[/quote]

I do wonder - is he trying to build up the Youtube videos and T-shirt sales in order to compensate for a not exactly stuffed studio schedule? Of course, now I've said that he'll probably bitch about it in a video!

[quote name='Wonky2' timestamp='1442434849' post='2867003']
But this view does fall on its arse as soon as you plug in the squire p bass which may be set up sweet and play beautifully, but the output is just thin and hollow sounding???[/quote]

Not the Matt Freeman P bass! B)

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1442917093' post='2870436']
I do wonder - is he trying to build up the Youtube videos and T-shirt sales in order to compensate for a not exactly stuffed studio schedule? Of course, now I've said that he'll probably bitch about it in a video!
[/quote]

Seems to me he's just doing Stand Up (I know he's sitting down!) and having fun.

I've thought most of what he says at one time or another in the last 20 years.

It's just an aggressive satire. I would have thought everyone would know his routines are based on well known stereo types.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1442928157' post='2870611']
Seems to me he's just doing Stand Up (I know he's sitting down!) and having fun.

I've thought most of what he says at one time or another in the last 20 years.

It's just an aggressive satire. I would have thought everyone would know his routines are based on well known stereo types.
[/quote]

Yeah, possibly. I actually agree with a lot of what he says, and there are times when adopting that kind of attitude can be the most effective way of getting your point across. I'm just not quite picking up on any warmth underneath the bluster though - maybe it's just not my type of humour.

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1442929216' post='2870627']

Yeah, possibly. I actually agree with a lot of what he says, and there are times when adopting that kind of attitude can be the most effective way of getting your point across. I'm just not quite picking up on any warmth underneath the bluster though - maybe it's just not my type of humour.
[/quote]

He's American. The thing about satire is on the surface the generalisations and stereotypes work and hence are funny.

Bass players aren't stupid though. Some of us can type. So that's the first of his 'jokes' blown clear out of the water.