Why become a member? ×

Second Hand Bass with considerable damage on arrival - what you would do?

Naetharu

EDIT: Hi folks, I decided to add this at the top since there seems to have been some confusion over the purpose of this post. My reason for asking about this bass was because i really liked how it played, but that it was not in as good condition as I had hoped and so was torn about whether to keep it or not. In no way is this post a complaint about my experience with the seller (which has been great all around) and it should not be taken in that way at all.

This was the result of a simple hasty purchase and a little bit of miss-communication and nothing more - and I really appreciate all of the great advice people gave me which helped me make up my mind. The issue was resolved yesterday and the seller was very helpful and I have a lovely new bass on the way.

Hi folks,

Last week I purchased a 2nd hand Maruszczyk. Its a Jake model, and suited my need perfectly. I had a bit of a chat about it via email before paying, as I wanted to know the neck size, weight etc and some stuff about possible changes to pick-guard.

At no point was there any mention of this bass being beaten up pretty bad. Now its partially my fault here since I never expressly asked, because perhaps naively I expected anything significant to be declared up front.

Upon arrival today the bass has some MAJOR mojo that was not visible from the images on the site. It appears to have been badly knocked around where the input jack is, and is missing a big chunk of finish and has major cracks though the finish around that area. There more more cracks in the finish between the bridge and the hum-bucker, as well as chips around the horns and the heel of the neck.

Also, the hardware is corroded quite badly and the two of the pots feel off - they are very stiff and seem to lack the clear click that should indicate the neutral position for the eq.

Now I paid a reasonable price for the bass, around £400 including shipping and for that it came with a new gig-bag, a great quality strap and a replacement scratch-plate (for atheistic reasons since I don't much like tort and so wanted a black one).

So my question is, what would you do in this situation? The bass plays like a dream, its well balanced on the strap and it sounds great. It utterly blows away anything else I have played. However, I can't help feeling a bit annoyed that I was not told the poor condition of the instrument at the time of purchase - I expect some reasonable ware but this feels more like its been on a world tour or two in its time.

I'm torn between just shrugging my sholders and keeping it, since its for gigging anyhow and so its bound to get beaten up a bit as time goes on, or on sending it back and adding some extra cash to get a new version. Part of my worry is that when I come to move it on Its going to be pretty hard given the state that it is in. I'll try and take a few pics but I don't have a good cam to hand for the moment.

Edited by Naetharu
Vendor identity removed

Don't delay telling the seller that you're not happy.

Tell him you're undecided what you want to do and you'll be back in touch.

Then think about your options:

1 Return and full refund
2 Partial refund

You could ask the seller which of the 2 he would prefer. Maybe he'd rather give a full refund, in the hope that he can stitch up some other mug.

Edit: According to their web site £678 would get you a brand new version. That price was not cheap.

Myself I'd return it for a full refund

Edited by Grangur

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1439488139' post='2843348']
That's surprising and a shame, but IMO you should always go back to the vendor and give them a chance to put things right before going public.

I hope you get sorted.
[/quote]

Just to be clear, this post is not intended to be a criticism of [i]the seller [/i]or Maruszczyk instruments at all. All my dealings with [i]the seller[/i] have been excellent and this experience in no way puts me off dealing with him again, nor should it worry others considering going there. What's happened here, at least from what I can see, is a case of miss-communication between myself and the shop. I'm just genuinely torn about what to do and was looking for a bit of advice.

Edited by Rich
Vendor name removed

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1439488139' post='2843348']
IMO you should always go back to the vendor and give them a chance to put things right before going public.
[/quote]
Agreed, and to this end I have removed the vendor name from the OP's posts in an attempt to make it a little less 'name & shame'. Please keep it anonymous for the time being, especially as you say you are not intending to criticise.

If it's 'used', you should expect a [i]bit [/i]of wear. Not sure what I'd do to be honest, without seeing the bass.
Maybe keep it - after all, you usually have to pay over the odds for that kind of mojo... ;)

If it plays really well and sounds as good as you say it does and the 'wear' isn't threatening the playability or the structure of the bass then I'd probably hang onto it and ask for a partial refund. Just my 2p of course - I don't really like shiny new basses.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1439489876' post='2843361']
If it's 'used', you should expect a [i]bit [/i]of wear. Not sure what I'd do to be honest, without seeing the bass.
Maybe keep it - after all, you usually have to pay over the odds for that kind of mojo... ;)

If it plays really well and sounds as good as you say it does and the 'wear' isn't threatening the playability or the structure of the bass then I'd probably hang onto it and ask for a partial refund. Just my 2p of course - I don't really like shiny new basses.
[/quote]

Hehe, aye, if only I was into relic work then its a great example ;)

I think I`d be a little fed up that the condition wasn`t as described, but this make me think hold on to it:

"The bass plays like a dream, its well balanced on the strap and it sounds great. It utterly blows away anything else I have played"

Sure contact the seller, see if they are willing to offer a discount due to the condition being somewhat different to as described, but flip the situation the other way, pristine condition, doesn`t balance, and feels/sounds sterile and lacking in character. A great playing and sounding bass in tatty nick is worth far more in my view than a pristine instrument that doesn`t play, sound or balance well.

[quote name='Naetharu' timestamp='1439490240' post='2843369']
Hehe, aye, if only I was into relic work then its a great example ;)
[/quote]

I was never into mojo until I got a Corvette that needed some tlc. I was going to re-spray it, but after I'd done some remedial work I really liked it.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1439490274' post='2843372']
A great playing and sounding bass in tatty nick is worth far more in my view than a pristine instrument that doesn`t play, sound or balance well.
[/quote]

So true - it might be 'the one' and you'll forever regret sending it back! :)

I know nothing of these basses, but the price you paid seems to be very much on the 'low', or 'bargain' side; well under half the new price. That any damage be disclosed should be the 'norme', but such a good price would, I would suggest, already mitigate any harsh feelings, and there's reasonable scope there for having the cosmetics touched up. I'd say you got a pretty good deal in all, and would put it down to a slight lack of communication, then move on. Just my tuppence-worth.

I was gonna suggest uploading some pics, so we could see how 'bad ' a condition it is. Then I realised that may upset the seller,if you've contacted them raising your issues. If you purchased from a shop, you should probably come to some sort of amicable agreement (ie they may send you loads of strings etc plus price reduction ).
Hope it all works out .

Well after some thinking about it I've contacted the seller with a view to returning this one and paying some extra money to get a new one made up for me. Despite the cosmetic issues with this particular bass I am totally taken with the instrument's sound and feel. No doubt in my mind that they're amazing instruments, let alone for the price they go for. I've no doubt it'll all be sorted without issue - cheers for the advice folks :)

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1439490274' post='2843372']
I think I`d be a little fed up that the condition wasn`t as described, but this make me think hold on to it:

"The bass plays like a dream, its well balanced on the strap and it sounds great. It utterly blows away anything else I have played"

Sure contact the seller, see if they are willing to offer a discount due to the condition being somewhat different to as described, but flip the situation the other way, pristine condition, doesn`t balance, and feels/sounds sterile and lacking in character. A great playing and sounding bass in tatty nick is worth far more in my view than a pristine instrument that doesn`t play, sound or balance well.
[/quote]

This.

All of it.

For a bass that I could describe as the OP did, I could tolerate a lot of cosmetic damage.

Of course, I haven't seen any pictures... but from the description I'd say I would lean towards keeping it. Maybe try to get some £ back if the bass was substantially not as described... but from the OP's description it doesn't sound like a bass I'd let go easily.
A body refinish could be a lot less costly than the OP thinks too... if he could really not live with it but wanted the bass. And it would not be an emergency, so one could wait until funds are just right for that.

[quote name='Naetharu' timestamp='1439495371' post='2843425']
Well after some thinking about it I've contacted the seller with a view to returning this one and paying some extra money to get a new one made up for me. Despite the cosmetic issues with this particular bass I am totally taken with the instrument's sound and feel. No doubt in my mind that they're amazing instruments, let alone for the price they go for. I've no doubt it'll all be sorted without issue - cheers for the advice folks :)
[/quote]

Can't argue with that - they're amazing basses.

[quote name='Naetharu' timestamp='1439495371' post='2843425']
Well after some thinking about it I've contacted the seller with a view to returning this one
[/quote]

You should've done that before posting this thread. There're a few stages to a sale and it's certainly not over when the goods arrive through your door. Out of all the items I've bought here three of them have not been what I considered to be as described. Each time I contacted the seller and each time a full refund was offered or some money off to reflect the discrepancy. I've only returned one item, but I still consider this to be a positive experience and this was reflected in the feedback I left for the seller.

The issues you describe seem cosmetic, as you put it "[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#282828"]The bass plays like a dream, its well balanced on the strap and it sounds great." I've got a bass just like that, it's a US Spector and cost me £2K+, but you got one for £400 and you're not happy?![/color][/font]

[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#282828"]The damage around the input socket is from it being plugged in a lot to be played. Chances are the corrosion on the hardware has been caused by hands playing it. It sounds like you've got a very playable bass. This might not be what you want to hear, but £400 for a bass that plays like a dream is nowt. You could easily cough £1200 and get something that looks like Claudia Schiffer in a G string but feels like a bog door banging in the wind.[/color][/font]

[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#282828"]I'm not familiar with [/color][/font][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Maruszczyk basses, but WoT raves about them, so they must be doing something right. My advice to you is to contact the seller and see if you can get a few bob off, then put that toward getting it spruced up by a pro, but at least give the bloke a chance before opening up a thread where he ends up judged before the jury is in.[/font][/color]

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1439504028' post='2843498']
You should've done that before posting this thread. There're a few stages to a sale and it's certainly not over when the goods arrive through your door. Out of all the items I've bought here three of them have not been what I considered to be as described. Each time I contacted the seller and each time a full refund was offered or some money off to reflect the discrepancy. I've only returned one item, but I still consider this to be a positive experience and this was reflected in the feedback I left for the seller.

The issues you describe seem cosmetic, as you put it "[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#282828]The bass plays like a dream, its well balanced on the strap and it sounds great." I've got a bass just like that, it's a US Spector and cost me £2K+, but you got one for £400 and you're not happy?![/color][/font]

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#282828]The damage around the input socket is from it being plugged in a lot to be played. Chances are the corrosion on the hardware has been caused by hands playing it. It sounds like you've got a very playable bass. This might not be what you want to hear, but £400 for a bass that plays like a dream is nowt. You could easily cough £1200 and get something that looks like Claudia Schiffer in a G string but feels like a bog door banging in the wind.[/color][/font]

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#282828]I'm not familiar with [/color][/font][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Maruszczyk basses, but WoT raves about them, so they must be doing something right. My advice to you is to contact the seller and see if you can get a few bob off, then put that toward getting it spruced up by a pro, but at least give the bloke a chance before opening up a thread where he ends up judged before the jury is in.[/font][/color]
[/quote]

+1

£400 including shipping plus strap, gig bag and extra pickguard....? Given what folks say about these basses generally and what the OP says about this bass in particular, it still sounds about £200 shy of what you'd expect to pay for a used instrument.

OP, listen to the folks above. Take it apart, clean it up, and play it. I bought a Jazz on eBay a couple of weeks ago and, no joke, there were what I can only describe as grime ramps on the nut side of each fret up to about the 10th. Took me about 2 hours to clean the neck, another hour on the body, bridge and PUPs. So what, the seller was selling a used bass? Plays, feels and sound lovely now.

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1439504028' post='2843498']
You should've done that before posting this thread. There're a few stages to a sale and it's certainly not over when the goods arrive through your door. Out of all the items I've bought here three of them have not been what I considered to be as described.
[/quote]

My reason for posting here was simply to get some advice from level headed people before messing the seller around. I felt torn about the bass and wanted to talk it over here since I respect the people on the forum and trust that you lot will talk sense, which is certainly what I found :) I've no doubt the seller will sort the issue out, but I don't want to keep messing him about and so wanted to make my mind up [i]before [/i]contacting him and arranging for a return.

Just to reiterate my post above, the point of this thread is in no way to grumble about the seller or otherwise simply complain. I just find myself in a position where I am torn as to what to do and so asking the advice of more experienced people seemed like a good plan before taking any action.

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1439505029' post='2843505']
+1
£400 including shipping plus strap, gig bag and extra pickguard....? Given what folks say about these basses generally and what the OP says about this bass in particular, it still sounds about £200 shy of what you'd expect to pay for a used instrument.
[/quote]

To be honest, not really. In total I paid £453 for the bass to be exact, and the same model brand spanking new sells for £640 by today's exchange rate. Given how nice Maruszczyk basses are the prices are very reasonable indeed.

Anyhow, thanks for the advice folks, its really appreciated and helped me think things through :)

Edited by Naetharu

[quote name='Naetharu' timestamp='1439505642' post='2843513']
the point of this thread is in no way to grumble about the seller or otherwise simply complain. I just find myself in a position where I am torn as to what to do and so asking the advice of more experienced people seemed like a good plan before taking any action....

Anyhow, thanks for the advice folks, its really appreciated and helped me think things through :)
[/quote]

I totally understand how you feel, it takes the shine right off when you're unwrapping that parcel and it doesn't match with the picture in your head. I suppose I'm looking at it with a few purchases under my belt, so apologies if I come over as a bit harsh. The problem with the internetz is everything is a bit distilled and the rounded edges and nuances are lost. Sometimes you can get so much advice that you end up not knowing which way to turn, so with this in mind I'll give you some more :D .. or rather a story..

I bought a bass that was pretty much described as mint. It wasn't. I was offered a full refund, but the truth was I wanted the bass. The issues were only cosmetic, but it rained on my parade come delivery day. I swallowed my pride as I knew I'd not find another at that price. I spent £60 with my local Luthier getting it spruced up, just fixing-up some very simple things (like the front strap button moving due to the screw hole wearing big). It's by far from the most expensive bass I have, but in terms of play-ability and just feeling good with it in my hands, it's one of the best basses I own. I doubt very much I'll ever move it on.

At the end of the day, no matter what anyone says, you must do what you think is right.

Aye, if it was just a bit of wear and tear then I would be cool with it but there is quite a bit of damage. It looks like the bass has been dropped at some point, as there considerable damage around the jack socket. Its not simply someone being heavy-handed with their cable, its a major impact that has cracked the finish and dented the wood. The cracks are around three to five inches long all around the base of the body, and there is massive chips of finish missing.

Also, the end of the body has been drilled into several times, and it seems the strap-lock moved around quite a bit leaving four nasty holes and a big bare patch with more cracks in the finish.

It is nice to play, but in the end my aim was always to get myself a really nice bass that I am going to have as a proper keeper for years to come, and sadly this is just not what I was after.

I think the take home lesson for me here is to make sure that I ask a LOT more questions and not to simply assume that everything will be clearly disclosed. Its my fault, I should have asked for more detailed photos &c.

[quote name='TheButler' timestamp='1439509769' post='2843538']
Any chance of it being damaged in transit?

Send it back and i'll pay £454. Pre-damaged means i'll not be precious, which means i'll actually gig it heavily; which, if I am led to believe the modest hype around these, would be a pleasure.
[/quote]

Na, it was really well packed and there was no damage to the packing - this is clearly caused by direct impact with a hard surface. My honest guess would be that the strap-lock on the end of the body gave out at some point resulting in a drop.