Why become a member? ×

What's the deal with the cloth band some bassists have around the neck?

Naetharu

My guess? It's either an attempt at dampening the open string to sound more like a fretted note, or to prevent the part of the string behind the fretted note from buzzing. Either way - bordering on the neurotic IMV

Edited by SteveK

You often see them on ERBs to stop the other strings ringing out... I've never really had an issue with this as I just mute the strings I'm not playing automatically with either my fretting or plucking hand, can't really see the point in them.

Perhaps for basses with more than six strings this is more of an issue?

It's a mute, mostly used on basses with 6 strings or more. It just cuts down on unwanted notes ringing out. It's especially useful if you're into tapping.

You can buy them ready made by a company called Gruvgear. They concist of a pad with a wrap that attaches around the neck using Velcro.

Edited by ambient

The Gruvgear Fretwrap is to stop open strings ringing too much and it damps overtones, etc. I had one for a while but find it pretty useless as a mute because it only works on open strings. Once you've fretted a note it's out of the picture, obviously.

You might suppose it would be useful for ERBs (as said above) as string muting is more difficult with these basses, but I'd say that development of the floating thumb method would be far preferable as it's effective on [i]all [/i]notes, fretted and otherwise.

Pretty much a chocolate teapot as far as four-string basses are concerned. You could always use the tried and tested 'stick a bit of foam under the strings at the bridge', but you're committed to having the strings muted all the time unless you want to faff about in and out with the foam while you're playing. I'd say floating thumb if you're serious about your string damping and muting. But I prefer palm muting myself.

Gruvgear also do a thing like a rubber flap which goes over and behind the strings at the bridge [i]à la[/i] foam rubber, but I've not heard anything good about it. As always, your mileage may vary.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1439391605' post='2842422']
The Gruvgear Fretwrap is to stop open strings ringing too much and it damps overtones, etc. I had one for a while but find it pretty useless as a mute because it only works on open strings. Once you've fretted a note it's out of the picture, obviously.

You might suppose it would be useful for ERBs (as said above) as string muting is more difficult with these basses, but I'd say that development of the floating thumb method would be far preferable as it's effective on [i]all [/i]notes, fretted and otherwise.

Pretty much a chocolate teapot as far as four-string basses are concerned. You could always use the tried and tested 'stick a bit of foam under the strings at the bridge', but you're committed to having the strings muted all the time unless you want to faff about in and out with the foam while you're playing. I'd say floating thumb if you're serious about your string damping and muting. But I prefer palm muting myself.

Gruvgear also do a thing like a rubber flap which goes over the strings at the bridge [i]à la[/i] foam rubber, but I've not heard anything good about it. As always, your mileage may vary.
[/quote].

As you've said, I tried one briefly but found it a bit of a waste of time.

I had to play a Stuart Hamm tapping piece for an exam at uni, that was the only time I found it useful.

I use muting quite a lot, but find it betterer to use my left hand or right hand palm or forearm.

Edited by ambient

Yep, here's the link:

http://www.gruvgear.com/fretwraps

I use one for slapping on a 5-string[i] (to help compensate for my poor technique :D) [/i]but I know a few peeps who frequently use them during studio work.

They're basically an upmarket version of the more traditional hair scrunchy, for bassists without ponytails.

I used a scrunchy on my Bass when my old band played "All Right Now" (yeah, wanna make something of it..?) It helped to mute that cheeky open "A" during the solo bass lick. Worked a treat. I got four for a quid, too. The GruvGear ones have got the velcro fastener thingy, but they weigh in at slightly more than a quid. And you can't buy 'em from your local Superdrug.

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1439400192' post='2842521']
The gentleman bass player eschews scrunchies in favour of a smart [i]foulard[/i] or - in extremis - a Tootal cravat in a fetching paisley pattern.

[/quote]
Tootal scarves are the best.

I have a deep red one with blue paisley pattern, and a vibrant yellow one, again with blue paisley. Not silk, mind. Both vintage and made in England of a rayon mix. That said, they should be treated as silk when cleaning. Such a lot of things to consider for such a simple item.

Dandy-tastic..

Edited by Old Man Riva

[quote name='Old Man Riva' timestamp='1439419851' post='2842820']

Tootal scarves are the best.

I have a deep red one with blue paisley pattern, and a vibrant yellow one, again with blue paisley. Not silk, mind. Both vintage and made in England of a rayon mix. That said, they should be treated as silk when cleaning. Such a lot of things to consider for such a simple item.

Dandy-tastic..
[/quote]

An impressive assemblage. I possess a red Paisley Tootal cravat and a green Paisley Tootal scarf, both of which belonged to my grandfather. Though he was a factory worker he was also quite the dandy as a young man, sallying forth of a night in full evening dress and carrying a silver-topped cane.

It was different back before the Great War...

Edited by skankdelvar

[size=2]Here's Andrew Gouche with his fretwrap behind first fret. Six string bass, no floating thumb and it's just intended to clean things up. I find mine useful.[/size]
[size=2] [/size]
[size=2]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-J5d5knOKjs[/size]
[size=2] [/size]
[size=2]Tobie​[/size]

[quote name='tobiewharton' timestamp='1439553391' post='2843824']
[size=2]Here's Andrew Gouche with his fretwrap behind first fret. Six string bass, no floating thumb and it's just intended to clean things up. I find mine useful.[/size]
[size=2] [/size]
[size=2]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-J5d5knOKjs[/size]
[size=2] [/size]
[size=2]Tobie​[/size]
[/quote]

Nice, thanks for posting that.

😁