Why become a member? ×

Drum machine for bass practice ?

MWH

Hello to all, I'm very new at bass playing, think lessons, is there any merit in the idea of using a drum machine or metronome to help me learn to keep in time ?,
I love the blues, where's Gary Moore when you need him, and am learning some of his stuff using bass tabs. If the idea hold some merit, can you guys point me in some kinda direction of what to try, I do have a disc of backing tracks with his stuff on, is that a better direction to follow ?
Many thanks in advance.

A bit of a split in regards to the metronome here. Think of it like you're using stabilisers on a bike, you don't see the likes of Bradley Wiggins and co relying upon them.

4 to the floor is great to improving technique but relying upon it too much makes your groove a bit stiff and robotic.
A click on the 2 and 4 of each bar? Absolutely. As music is an organically expression, you need to give the exertion space to breath rather than relying on it being 4 to the floor all of the time. By using the combination of two, you'll have the cleanliness of the 4 beat and the fluidity of the 2 beat. Hope it helps!

Playing with a metronome or drum loop is a good part of learning. There are some good backing tracks on YouTube.

You can also download a good good metronome app for ypur phone. I use Pro Metronome. It offers varied beats and tones you can play to.

An absolute yes from me for the metronome. I am taking lessons and also grade exams. The metronome helps me nail the more difficult parts when just playing the bass line from the books.

I also have a drum machine, Boss DR-3 but do not use it much. For me it is just fun to have for noodling though.

From a recent thread, I am very much alone in having lessons from a tutor, but for me they are essential. I have weekly lessons but do 30-45 minutes practice every night.

Edited by Bobthedog

iME metronome good drum machine better.

You need to do some of your practice with a metronome/drum machine esp as a beginner. Seven years on I still use it to tighten up my timing every now and again or with a tricky run. I use them if we are recording too, just to tighten up and save wasted time and expense. the drum machines are much better, much closer to the real thing and metronomes are pretty boring.

Get yourself a Zoom B1ON which is a dirt cheap multi effects pedal. It has a headphone amp built in and crucially a drum machine and metronome as well as a tuner. Runs for days on rechargeable batteries too. Great for practice with headphones or you can put it through your amp. I paid about £35 for mine

Thank's everyone, i must admit i fancy a d/machine more than a metronome to practice along with, but will turn the phone into a metronome with that app and perhaps look on ebay for the other, and the zoom pedal, see what i can spot, i am also having lessons in the local music shop back room every two weeks but might look for a proper tutor, its the practice i should do more of, too much diy, overtime, and beer festivals.
Great stuff, thank's.

Count me in on the yes side. I think a metronome is a great tool for learning

With a simple one beat metronome (as opposed to metric pattern ones), if something goes wrong, you just pick up the next beat again. I like it that way, and so I prefer an old-fashioned metronome above drum loops or (shudder) complete tracks to play along to.

Personally, I couldn't stand the electronic metronomes I've heard, but that was a long time ago. I'd guess modern electronics offer both nice sound and tweakable feel of the meter.

There are free drum machines available, e.g. Hydrogen. http://www.hydrogen-music.org

If you use a drum machine you can do everything from a click on beats 2 and 4 of the bar, up to sophisticated rhythm tracks. Programming in your own backing beats is IMHO a useful skill to have, and using a drum machine as a metronome gives you little and often experience of that.

[quote name='Annoying Twit' timestamp='1439110615' post='2839966']
There are free drum machines available, e.g. Hydrogen. [url="http://www.hydrogen-music.org"]http://www.hydrogen-music.org[/url]

If you use a drum machine you can do everything from a click on beats 2 and 4 of the bar, up to sophisticated rhythm tracks. Programming in your own backing beats is IMHO a useful skill to have, and using a drum machine as a metronome gives you little and often experience of that.
[/quote]

Big +1 to this: Hydrogen is awesome - very easy to use and lots of flexibility.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1438989076' post='2839321']
However if your plan is to play with others at some point, don't expect a live drummer to keep time like a machine.
[/quote]

Quite, but at least you only have to punch the information in once with a drum machine.