Why become a member? ×

All change......again

gadgie

[color="#000000"]I’m sure you guys won’t remember my introduction a while back. It told of how a good friend of mine was stuck for a bass player due to the songwriter in the band wanting to play guitar. I really wasn’t interested in doing it as I liked playing guitar. However, after a few months I finally gave in and picked up the bass for them. I really got into it and got some decent gear together. However, over the last few months the band has not been meeting up to learn songs etc, and I was getting rather fed up with it all. I finally got together with my friend and got the full story. The songwriter guy now wants to stop playing guitar due to the ‘work’ involved trying to get his act together. He wants to go back on bass as he thinks it’s easier it seems. Bugger me I’ve been learning songs from scratch and putting in some decent (for me as a newbie) lines. Now they want me to play guitar instead of him and hope that that will bring him back into the mood…..FFS![/color]
[color="#000000"]I’ve told my friend that I’m not going to flit back and forth every time the guy thinks it’s getting too much like work. I might have guessed really as sometimes we practice at round noon, and he’s always struggling to get there on time and is always half asleep.[/color]
[color="#000000"]what now??[/color]

Well, if you're enjoying bass then you could always find a new slightly better organised band who need a bass player and focus on them as your main outlet for bass playing. If your current band are still messing you around you can always leave. I'd start looking for a new band who have roughly the same ethos that you do. It doesn't mean you have to walk away from your current band, but if they're still messing around in 6 months you aren't left feeling like you've wasted half a year.

The key to being able to achieve anything at all is the ability to get up in the morning and put your shoes on. I tend to avoid people who can't manage this as they are inevitably feckless, lazy bastards who think they're 'special'. Your mileage may vary. :)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1436799079' post='2820854']feckless, lazy bastards who think they're 'special'.
[/quote]Discreet nails the problem on the head as always; good work sir, I wholeheartedly concur :)

The OP has dipped his toe into the low end and appears to have found the 'water' warm and rewarding. Stick with it and find folks who'll appreciate you. Conversely, throw a hissy fit and tell your current band that you are the bass player now and they have to deal with it (bass player and hissy fit aren't two things that normally go together, maybe it's time for a change).

Edited by ezbass

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1436799079' post='2820854']
The key to being able to achieve anything at all is the ability to get up in the morning and put your shoes on. I tend to avoid people who can't manage this as they are inevitably feckless, lazy bastards who think they're 'special'. Your mileage may vary. :)
[/quote]

This entirely.

Good comments guys. The thing is that it's all a bit complicated as bands usually are. I've been friends with this guy for years, 20 at least. The songwriter is the singers brother, the singer is my friends girlfriend. My friends had enough as well I think.

[quote name='gadgie' timestamp='1436799866' post='2820868']
Good comments guys. The thing is that it's all a bit complicated as bands usually are. I've been friends with this guy for years, 20 at least. The songwriter is the singers brother, the singer is my friends girlfriend. My friends had enough as well I think.
[/quote]

Holy crap, it's practically incestuous! Get out now, while you still can!! :lol:

It's not my friend that wants to change. I think he wants to keep it going for his girlfriends sake to be honest. I'll give it a go and see what happens. Still keeping the bass(s) though:)

Also made it clear that my gear will not be getting shared!

Edited by gadgie

[quote name='gadgie' timestamp='1436799866' post='2820868']
[/quote]

Boy, I know how this feels...

You've got to do what makes you happy. As annoyingly awkward as it is you have to put yourself first as being in a band is supposed to be an enjoyable thing.

I've spent 2 and half years being in a band I didnt enjoy, but wouldnt leave in case I upset someone or fell out with them, and it is a stupid reason to stay. You are not in a band to make others happy, you are there to make you happy!

You can either tell them straight up you are disapointed with whats going on and see if they change (which even with my short experience with bands has never worked) or leave the band. With leaving the band it doesnt have to end in tears, just saying you dont enjoy as much as you used to and you are unsure with what you want to do musically did the trick for me. Then quitely start looking at new bands!

I don't see the problem with becoming an accomplished musician on more than one instrument. It appears that you're seeing all the negative aspects and the personality issues without considering the potential for personal growth as a musician. Like many things in life, opportunities can present themselves in very different packages.

<><Peace

[quote name='Coilte' timestamp='1436801159' post='2820884']
A true "friend" would not expect you go jump from bass to guitar and back again, just to suit [i]his [/i]moods.
[/quote]

+1 Doesn't matter if it's next of kin or a lifelong friend.
If the band is to be ran as a business and a creative outlet - it needs to be professional. Reassigning members to suit one member is favoritism, and as has been mentioned - if it happens once it'll probably happen again.
If you are OK with this hierarchy - you being shunted from role to role based on others preferences, fine. If not - change it or seek opportunities elsewhere.

If I was asked to not play bass their [s]wood[/s] would be some 4 letter words shared. If I was asked to switch to guitar I'd probably leave the room to avoid unpleasantness!

Edited by PlungerModerno

[quote name='Weststarx' timestamp='1436862352' post='2821392']
Playing guitar is 10x cooler anyway...

(Starts running)
[/quote]
Can someone please delete his account ? I don't see why we should stand for people posting utter tripe on this forum