Why become a member? ×

Ebay feedback

bonzodog

Is it just me or are less and less people bothering to leave feedback on ebay.
I dont sell that much on ebay but originally almost everyone left me good feedback. In the last 8 sales over 2 months only one person has left me feedback. I know its not compulsory but its annoying as its helps build your profile as a trusted seller. Plus I pride myself in excellent packaging and prompt despatch

I also send a message like "let me know when its arrived and I'll be sure to add positive feedback" in the hope that a buyer sending that message will leave feedback at the same time. It works about 2/3rds of the time.

I've noticed this, last 4 items I've sold I only got 2 bothering to leave feedback, although I always seem to get it when I'm buying. I think once you're above about 50 positives I don't think it matters much TBH but I'm very wary of dealing with people with less than 10

I have been on eBay since it started, probably have 700 transactions.
I don't usually bother anymore as it's meaningless. If you're a buyer and there's a dispute, you'll always win.
The only feedback I look for is negative on odd looking listings.

EBay isnt there to build your ego with positive feedback.

As a seller, I ask the buyer to leave me feedback in my advert, so that I know their item has arrived safely, and so that I can go ahead and leave them feedback in return. If they don't leave me feedback as a seller, they don't get feedback as a buyer. I've never gotten a negative in 10 years of selling, but I've lost goods in the post, been straight up ripped off and occasionally gotten some narky comments with low stars. I put it down to buyers remorse or people just coming home from work in a bad mood. I know I describe everything accurately and honestly as I can and always post next working day.

As a buyer, I found it quite impersonal when it becare de rigueur to receive automated glowing feedback the immediate moment a purchase is made. How do they know I'm a valued customer? Our transaction isn't complete until I've received the goods in a timely fashion and I'm happy they are as described. I might yet turn out to be a bit of a nightmare customer.

[quote name='landwomble' timestamp='1436697131' post='2819963']
I don't usually bother anymore as it's meaningless. If you're a buyer and there's a dispute, you'll always win.

[/quote] I agree but it is nice to know some one is happy with dealing with you :)

There is a general lack of etiquette which is now rife on the web. It used to be that positive feedback on eBay was something people went out of their way to earn, and give in return - but in recent times I have seen a real drop-off in both manners and good practice on eBay and other sites. More and more people don't give a rip as long as they get their goods (or money, in the case of sellers) and then they just move on. Trust on these sites is built through good transactions and trustworthy people are identified by good feedback. If someone has low positive feedback (even if there's no negatives) a lot of people are simply reluctant to trade with them. If these low feedback numbers are the result of people not leaving feedback, that unfortunately makes it harder for the user to do business. My last few eBay deals have been like this (no feedback left) and it's a pain in the tights.

Edited by Funky Dunky

[quote name='landwomble' timestamp='1436697131' post='2819963']

[/quote]

These aren't 'likes' on facebook, these are testimonies which validate that you are a legitimate and trustworthy individual to enter into a financial transaction with.

[font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"]TBH I think people got fed up leaving feedback when some of the feedback was negative for the least little thing. My friend has had a lot of trouble on ebay with people getting something from him and when it arrives they say there’s something wrong with it. Saying it doesn’t sound right or not working etc when in fact it was fine. Then they offer him a lower price, IE my mate has to send a refund of 30-40 quid or whatever or they will return it at his cost blah blah blah. [/color][/size][/font]

[font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"]Ebay is a lottery at best these days.[/color][/size][/font]

[quote name='Funky Dunky' timestamp='1436708100' post='2820071']

These aren't 'likes' on facebook, these are testimonies which validate that you are a legitimate and trustworthy individual to enter into a financial transaction with.
[/quote]

But eBay no longer functions according to reputation. It's grown to become an amazon, if you will. Reputation means nothing, for a buyer they will win in the event of a dispute. For a seller, they will lose in the event of a dispute.
Reputation isn't a factor in trading in eBay anymore.
Just MHO, obviously...

The annoying thing for me with people not leaving positive feedback is that I received a negative feedback in a transaction about 4 months ago (unfortunately just one of those times you end up dealing with a total numpty) and it sticks out like a sore thumb, even though it is an isolated issue.